Silkroad Online Forums

A community forum for the free online game Silkroad Online. Discuss Silkroad Online, read up on guides, and build your character and skills.

Faq Search Members Chat  Register Profile Login

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Fallout 4 - IT'S HERE!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:41 am 
Elite Member

Awesome to hear your enthusiasm for a single-player game :)

Kinda wish I could get that excited about games like Fallout. I just always end up getting bored at around 10 hours in.

Haven't played Fallout, though, so maybe I should give the game a fair shot one day.

Check out our music-video! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMxZWMWRjSM
I'm on the drums, beaches!

Post subject: Re: Fallout 4 - IT'S HERE!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:58 pm 
Elite Member

Location: ┌(╬ಠ益ಠ)╯( ̄ー ̄)(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ:・✧(╯°Д°)╯彡┻━┻ψ(`∇´)ψ(☞゚∀゚)☞¯\_(ツ)_/¯ლ(ಥ益ಥლ)ԅ༼ ◔ڡ◔༽งヽ༼ʘ̚ل͜ʘ̚༽ノᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
ltsune wrote:
Awesome to hear your enthusiasm for a single-player game :)

Kinda wish I could get that excited about games like Fallout. I just always end up getting bored at around 10 hours in.

Haven't played Fallout, though, so maybe I should give the game a fair shot one day.

If you've played an elder scrolls game, you should have a decent idea of what modern fallout games play like. It still has a different vibe to it naturally. It's retrofuturistic and a whole lot more gritty, bloody and gory. The combat is obviously more range oriented (and I should mention incomparably improved over previous entries...)
But strictly from a gameplay loop perspective it's virtually skyrim with guns.

UNLESS you're playing Fallout survival mode.

Survival mode really turns the game on its head. You die fast, you kill fast. Suddenly everything is dangerous. The decreased carry capacity and extra item weight means you won't be pocketing much money from reselling junk you find on the way. You can't even pack yourself over the limit anymore and crawl home, because there's a periodic damage penalty that can kill you.

When you're traveling long-distance and you run into a patrol squad of super mutants, you better think real hard whether you really want to engage in combat. In the early game it's certainly a good idea to avoid conflict with anything other than raiders. You're just really fragile, even in power armor.

I think a wonderful example of how well the system worked was all the way in the beginning for me. I was trying to clear out the Corvega plant from some raiders, but it was heavily guarded and there were other raider groups and ghouls all around. Move around carelessly and you'd get overwhelmed by the ghouls, or exploded from afar by power-armored raider with a rocket launcher. I was dying so often I was eventually forced to get resourceful with my environment. I Didn't have the weaponry to deal with the enemies in the area I was in, nor the carrying capacity to carry enough stuff. So I had to scav around and find the right junk to mod my weapons for more mid-range oriented combat, as well as attach more pockets to my armor.
I can't think of any other game that has forced me to improvise in such a way before. It's always been possible to drill through one way or another. Even Dark Souls works that way (hell, it revels in it...)

When you play Bethesda RPG's it's important to be able to enjoy the journey more than the end goal. The games just don't really have end goals. There's a main quest, which you could consider the end goal, but besides their length, they don't differ in any major way from any of the other quests you go on throughout the game. Treat every quest as its own entity and enjoy the adventure as a whole. The environments are wonderful, the real story is told through the game's ambiance.

Of course a bit of roleplay also goes a long way. You don't need to get super serious about it, but acting a little in character adds to the fun a lot. Choosing a character style, trying not to always be a perfect goody two-shoes, talking to dogmeat, using balanced weapon loadouts are simple examples of roleplay that greatly enhance the experience.

note: New Vegas is not made by Bethesda, and despite sharing mechanics and assets, is a very different flavor of game, with much heavier story and roleplay focus (though the exploration leaves more to be desired). NV is not Skyrim with guns.

- Day[9] Daily 337 -

Post subject: Re: Fallout 4
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:09 pm 
Elite Member

Location: ┌(╬ಠ益ಠ)╯( ̄ー ̄)(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ:・✧(╯°Д°)╯彡┻━┻ψ(`∇´)ψ(☞゚∀゚)☞¯\_(ツ)_/¯ლ(ಥ益ಥლ)ԅ༼ ◔ڡ◔༽งヽ༼ʘ̚ل͜ʘ̚༽ノᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Recently I've begun keeping a list of mods to install in Fallout. I don't like big game-changing mods and ENB's that destroy the game's ambience, but I have collected a fair amount of mods that will just enhance the game in small ways. Some are quality of life or performance related, others slightly enhance the gameplay and visuals in subtle ways.
I'm hoping to install them when I've completed the main quest. I have a 180 hours in the game at this point but I've been playing so slowly on hardcore that I have barely reached level 30. I've decided to just focus on the main quest a bit more now and progress it in what feels like a natural way.

My next mission is to find a runaway scientist in the glowing sea and for that I need ample radiation protection. I've found a few power armors, but none of them have all their parts to properly shield me from radiation (I'm gonna guess this isn't actually necessary, but I'm following this route for roleplay's sake). I decided I needed to get my hands on a complete power armor unit and the only faction that seems to have those is the Brotherhood of Steel, so I just met up with Paladin Danse and boarded the Prydwen, the Brotherhood of Steel's giant blimp.

edit: now that I look I actually haven't progressed much at all from the last time I posted x)

Here's my list of mods if anybody cares :P

Spoiler!

- Day[9] Daily 337 -

Post subject: Re: Fallout 4
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:46 pm 
Common Member

Never finished this one, but I come back to it every few months and push story a bit forward.