Silkroad Online Forums

A community forum for the free online game Silkroad Online. Discuss Silkroad Online, read up on guides, and build your character and skills.

Faq Search Members Chat  Register Profile Login

All times are UTC

Post subject: Kerbal space program LP - To the stars !!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:19 pm 
Site Contributor

Hello all, today i announce the launch of the Awooga space agency :toppa:

Playing Kerbal Space Program on career mode and seeing how far i can get (blowing up rockets and killing Kerbals along the way). First goal will be basic space exploration with more advance missions as things progress. Getting a rocket into orbit will be the first step and before you know it were on the Mun.

Crew
Spoiler!

Craft/Probes
Spoiler!

First things fire still carry out some 'grounded' research to unlock some better equipment then its off to bigger and better things!

https://kerbalspaceprogram.com/en/

http://store.steampowered.com/app/220200/

Last edited by satman83 on Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:42 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Post subject: Re: To infinity and beyond!! - Kerbal space program LP - 2nd man
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:19 pm 
Site Contributor

Weird Science

To kick things off will need to obtain research points to unlock better and more parts to use in building of craft. Best way to do this is to carry some some soil and scientific experiments....while still at launch control :suspicious:

First things first a basic Command pod is built along with some "goo" and this will be launched/placed on the pad.

Once launched the Kerbals will be sent from the craft and start gathering soil samples from around the area. Jeb will wonder about collect what i need at which point he will return to the command pod where i will end the mission/flight. The science data recovered will be a massive boost and should unlock the next bigger rockets i need :toppa:

With the 'mission' over and the data gathered some new parts will be unlocked and very soon the first ever Awooga space launch proper will take place :proud:

Also picked up some world firsts with the mission, a few more missions and i should be able to start improve Awooga Space agency and maybe get some investment from outside sources.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:20 pm 
Site Contributor

1st Space craft

Time to get things going and the first rocket is under construction. the Awooga 'Zod' (your welcome :toppa: ) will comprise of nothing really more than a Command pod, parachute and rocket.

Plan is to send up the Kerbal and ship into low orbit and (try to) bring it back down in once piece again. Tempted to send it up into a proper orbit but at the moment will be risky to bring it back.....unless i send it up and leave it there :lol: :suspicious:

With the 'Zod' now ready will prep for launch...this will be filmed and posted up in the next update :toppa:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:21 pm 
Site Contributor

1st flight

Below is a video of the first flight carried out my Awooga, despite and rough (explosive landing) the mission is a success all around :toppa:

Next up will be to build a larger rocket that can get into orbit proper and maybe....just maybe see about getting back home safely.

Last edited by satman83 on Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Site Contributor

Prepping for the second flight

After the success of the launch of Zod 1, Zod 2 will be designed, built and launched as soon as possible. Zod 2 will aim to either enter orbit or just launch as high as it possibly can before coming back down safely to land back on Kerbal. Valentina Kerman will pilot the ship, in doing so will be the first she-kerbal into space :toppa:

This will be a similar rocket to Zod 1, main difference is that it will be comprised of 4 fuel storage sections and some 'mysterious' goo for more science points. Also it will come with a separator so that the command pod can be jettisoned form the rest of the rocket as not to weigh it down during re-entry.

Site Contributor

Where no She-Kerbal has been before

Below is a video of the first flight carried out for my 2nd manned space rocket the 'Zod 2' . Piloted by a woman pilot as well ( :shocked: ), she still even managed to somehow park it with minimal effort.

A very successful flight and my first use of a separator (future flights will need to put a parachute on the rocket so i can recover it). Straight up and down isnt really a massively complex ordeal/challenge, so will look at trying to enter a sustained low orbit with the same craft again.

One thing learned from this is that i need to improve the parachute deployment time, leave it too late and i wont be able to decrease my acceleration enough, pull too soon and the shoot could rip off. Ideally i need to take into consideration the size and weight of the object i will be bringing back down as well as the optimal distance from the ground to deploy (3000m to 3500m).

Last edited by satman83 on Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Site Contributor

Next stage will be to add an extra rocket and separator onto Zod 2 to give it the extra thrust needed to reach a stable low orbit. Idea will be an additional smaller rocket attached almost directly to the command modal to achive orbit.

Main challenge will be achieving the correct thrust to get into orbit and then have enough fuel left to successfully re-enter Kerbals atmosphere and land. To much thrust when trying to achieve orbit could see be break away from Kerbals gravity and fly off into space :shocked: ...not enough and ill be come back down hard :uhoh:

Will be hoping to build/plan it tonight and even possibly send it up as well. Will start taking requests for new craft names if anyone wants so :toppa:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:44 pm 
Elite Member

Glad to see you again, man :)

What have you been up to lately, apart from playing Kerbal Space Program - apparently, haha.

Check out our music-video! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMxZWMWRjSM
I'm on the drums, beaches!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:12 pm 
Site Contributor

Hey mate, been good just busy with work and real life.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:13 pm 
Site Contributor

Building the Kerbal orbiter - upgrading Zod 2

To get into orbit around Kerbal im going to need a hell of a lot more power then readily available on the Zod 2, as such its time to upgrade it into a fully functioning 2-stage rocket. Take the existing rocket as it is the first stage is to remove the command modal and add in a heat shield to it, this will help it survive re entry once im ready to bring it back down.

Once attached on goes a two Fl-T100 fuel tanks and attached to those a LV-T30 "Reliant" liquid fuel engine, this small rocket will be the stage to get us into orbit once we reach the required height.

Onto this another 3 fuel tanks and another rocket. At this point Zod 2 has been upgraded and is ready to be launched into orbit. Bob will be giving the job of sitting in the cock pit and have the honor of being the first member of Awooga space agency and Kerman into orbit....if it goes well that is. Will add on some additional solid fuel boosters for an extra bit of power to get Zod up into orbit :thumbup:

Post subject: Re: Kerbal space program LP - Building the Kerbal orbiter
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:18 pm 

Nice porachute landing in the first video....Would have been more funny if the parachute was deployed after the explosion...

Post subject: Re: Kerbal space program LP - Building the Kerbal orbiter
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:45 am 
Site Contributor

So close....

Well despite what seemed to be a good start the mission failed, would seem to be down to a combination of badly timed course corrections and the rocket just not being powerful enough.

I would put it down to miss-timing the 1st turn to 45 degrees and then wasting far to much fuel to breach the atmosphere of Kerbal itself. At least the get the pilot back down again in once piece but overall its good a great day for Awooga at all.

While i obtained a lot of valuable science and can use to this to research (unlock) better parts needed, i will have to go back to the drawing board for this design and will retire Zod 2 and start work on a new rocket.... ' Hairy Ronald '

Post subject: Re: Kerbal space program LP - 1st Failed Orbit
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:58 pm 
Site Contributor

Building the ' Hairy Ronald '

With the failier of the Zod 2 to get into orbit its time to hit the construction bay again and build us a new state of the art ( :roll: ) rocket to get into orbit. This new rocket shall we called the ' Hairy Ronald ' and will be the most advance Awooga design and construction project to date.

This rocket will be a two stage design as before, but will include two smaller break away rockets (attached so once fuel is spent they can be jettisoned away). As before we start with a MK1 Command Pod to which we attached a heat shield underneath (for re entry) and a parachute on top for landing.

To this we have a stack decoupler and a fuel tank with rock, this will be the final stage for achieving orbital flight and if all goes well for re entry later on when bringing it back down. Another decoupler, twin fuel tanks will complete the basic rocket design.

Now for the two additional side rockets to go along with this. Have decided to go with two BACC 'Thumper' Solid fuel boosters for that extra bit of power...or in this case its going to be more like ... POWER!!!! :poundit: :poundit: :poundit: . Four wings are added for stability to the main rocket and now everything should be ready to go.

First flight of the ' Hairy Ronald ' coming soon :toppa:

Post subject: Re: Kerbal space program LP - 2nd Failed Orbit
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:35 pm 
Site Contributor

...Oh come on :wave:

Well another run at getting into orbit and another big fat fail, will try again as i believe the main issue to be a lack of power....so will add 4 more booster rockets onto the ' Hairy Ronald ' and blast it back off into space again.

Other all its the closest i have been at the moment and i think just a bit more fuel to burn and its orbit time :toppa: . I have my course corrections down to a tee now and when to make them.

Post subject: Re: Kerbal space program LP - 2nd Failed Orbit
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:25 pm 
Site Contributor

Around the world we go :adore:

The upgraded ' Hairy Ronald' is more then powerful enough to get Jebidiah into orbit around Kerbal. While not a perfect orbit in any real sense its stable enough that a total of two full rotations (north pole to south pole) are carried out. :toppa: The full Awooga mission control team is celebrating and Kerbals everywhere are partying in the streets.

While its a massive achievement its not without its own short comings and problems. It seems i burned up far to much fuel getting into orbit in the first place and as you can see near the end of the video i didnt have enough fuel left to force the command module out of orbit back back down to the planet. Miscalculated how much fuel i would need to get up into orbit and as such i dont have any to bring her back down again...yep...i messed up.

I am now left with one of two choices at this point in time, i can either wait and let the module come down by itself as its orbit slow starts to decale (will take a few years really at this rate). As it re enters and builds up speed there is a good chance it will either burn up in re-entry or accelerate far to fast for me to stop it from smashing back into the surface of Kerbal.

The second option...is for Jebidaih to take a space walk into the great void :suspicious: . Either way hes a dead Kerbal, so ill put it up to the forum with a poll and if no option has a majority ill just go with what my gut tells me is the right thing to do.

Post subject: Re: Kerbal space program LP - Successful orbit achieved!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:52 am 

You seem to really love space travel....

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:42 am 
Site Contributor

haha, yea well its a good game

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:39 pm 
Site Contributor

Operation: Risky Business - updated

Nope its a play based off of the 1980's Tom Cruise film, but the plan to rescue Jebediah for certain death :thumbup:

Will bring 'Zod 2' out of mothballs and design a new rescue/recovering rocket, thankfully the success of the orbit mission allows me to unlock more advance parts so i have a better chance of getting up to him. This upgraded 'Zod 2 mk2' will be fitted with transmitting equipment and will up up without a pilot...meaning i have to take control of it myself and as such its a one chance deal, with i save him or hes buggered.

The command module will be fitted with a foldaway transmitter and two battery packs for additional power needs.

The main rocket will be similar to that used for the 'Hairy Ronald' just with a lot more power and instead of being a 2-stage rocket this will be a 3-stage rocket. First two to get into space/orbit and reach the 'Hairy Ronald' and the third stage to rescue our man and bring him back down safely.

The hardest part of the rescue missions will be to get the 'Zod2 mk2' on the same orbital path as the 'Hairy Ronald' or at least close enough so that Jebediah can jump out and use his EVA suit boosters to try and get close enough. A hell of a lot of risks involved with this mission and if it fails then its the space walk for Jeb :toppa: . Every Kerbal at mission control is ready and all we can do now is wait and pray this works.

*UPDATE!

Seems i need a pilot or a control module of some kind, as such ill be fitting one of the newly unlock robotic probes on top of the command module (to control it) and affix three parachutes around that. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:40 pm 
Site Contributor

Operation: Risky Business - Failure

Seems with current technology i am unable to send up an unmade rocket into space, lost control of it rather quickly and when the engine broke off it was all over really..... :picard: :lol:

I think we all know whats coming next for Jeb...off into the big black star filled night he goes :smug: . Dont have the time or money to have another go right now so will push ahead and plan my next push into space with an unmanned probe :toppa: . Oh and in case the press ask...Jeb did in fact make it back down and is living quietly on a farm :suspicious:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:40 pm 
Site Contributor

Last Journey of Jebediah Kerbal

Heroiclly jumping out of his command module and using Kerbals gravity to slingshot himself into space.

Quote:
I am just going outside and may be some time...

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZk-yTkg49Y[/yt]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:41 pm 
Site Contributor

Probing Kerbal

With the most recent run of manned missions over its time to turn the attention of Awooga space agency to automated exploration in the form of space probes.

The first to be built will be so in honor of our fallen (floating?! :roll: ) brother Jebediah, and will be sent up to orbit Kerbal. Fitted with all sorts of scanning equipment it will provided a treasure trove of information and provide the first stage for a trip to the Mun (Kerbals moon) :o

The 'Jebediah 1' will be a 3 stage rocket deployment system, the final stage will be the probe itself which will be fitted with a probe for a base and a senors dome on top. Attached will be a '2HOT Thermometer', a command reaction wheel, re-chargeable battery pack and 4 extendable transmitters.

The main rocket will also be the first to utilize a protective shield cone, this will help protect the probe as we try to break orbit from the heat and friction caused from take off. This is attached to a FL-T400 Fuel Tank and a small LV-909 liquid fuel engine, which it turn is fitter to a Tri-coupler. Thats right its a tri rocket design to give the power of 3 rockets for the price of one :toppa:

Nine FL-T800 Fuel Tanks and each with a LV-T45 'Swivel' Liquid Fuel Engine for extra control for the orbital course corrections. additional support comes from structural supports struts to keep the rocket together and some one use only booster fuel rockets for the initial take off.

Ready to go, the Jebediah 1 will launch later on today.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:41 pm 
Site Contributor

Flight of the Jebediah

The Jebediah is the first Kerbal constructed probe and will be sent to orbit Kerbin. While its easy getting into orbit now this rocket is far to powerful and we actually almost break away from Kerbin into a sun orbit :uhoh: .

Thankfully able to hold it together and even end up in an orbit that will take us across the path of Mun every few days. This way i think i may have found a short cut to Mun as it were :suspicious:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:42 pm 
Site Contributor

New Staff

Have hired some new staff members as we were a man down ( :( ). Richvan, Doodlie and Gwendi should add greatly to the team, will most likely hire another engineer as well at some point.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:42 pm 
Site Contributor

Building the 'Zod 3'

The probe to get to Mun will be the 'Zod 3', This craft will use almost the same rocket as the Jebediah with a few additional addons to the probe itself and the rocket. The new Zod 3 probe will included a 'Double-C Seismic Accelerometer' (for measuring seismic activity), a 'PresMat Bramoneter' (for measuring atmospheric pressure) and a '2Hot Thermometer'. The data will be transmitted back to Kerbin via an advanced Communotron 88-88. Power full come from two deploy able solar panels and a series of rechargeable batteries.

Under the probe is a small engine to assist in landing on Mun, once on Mun its staying on Mun....this is a one way trip here.

retracted and extended.

Additional parts for the rocket will be some extra struts for support and the same 3 boosters with some added wings for better control of the craft. With this one ill be getting to Mun any time soon :toppa:

Post subject: Re: Kerbal space program LP - To the stars !!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:43 pm 
Site Contributor

Landing on Mun

After a hell of a lot of planning and waiting (had to time skip two days into the launch window to get the perfect 'space window' for reaching Mun) the launch was made and off the Zod 3 went. A good stream of power to escape Kerbins orbit and some carefully made maneuvers has helped me make my first probe landing on Mun :smug:

Overall space flight time was 2 1/2 days as the vast majority of it was spent drifting towards Mun and then a controlled burst towards Mun and then several slow down burst. Unfortunately Kerbal crashed just as i was on finally approach :wave: . Thankfully the game auto saved and i was able to make....a 'landing' of sorts.

when i get back into the game and fast forward to Mun day time i can see the extent of my 'landing'. Seems that Zod actually fell over on landing :picard: , taking direct control i try to correct it and pick it up but considering its actually landed on the side of a crater and not at its bottom it falls over again :sulk:

Decide at the moment this is as good as its going to get so turn on some of the equipment and start running some tests for transmission back to Kerbin. Run a temperature scan and Seismic scan which gives massive amounts of information :o . As get some interesting results from the 'mysterious goo'

Unfortunate for me as i try to right the probe again i break off one of the solar panels :uhoh: , doing so will extremely limit its capability. Also i actually end up causing the probe to slide down deeper into the crater

Finally able to right it again but with only one solar panel left i have to shut off the lights and most other insturments as well. Actually i have enough fuel left that im tempted to take off and either put it into orbit around Mun or re-land it back onto a more stable area. Right now its very much on the brink of falling over and i really have to be careful as even opening up the transmitter to many times could cause it to fall over again.

At least i have broken a load of world records now, any suggestions on what should happen to the Zod 3 are welcomed. Main options being to either move it to another part of the Mun or put it into Munar orbit.