Silkroad Online Forums

A community forum for the free online game Silkroad Online. Discuss Silkroad Online, read up on guides, and build your character and skills.

Faq Search Members Chat  Register Profile Login

All times are UTC

Post subject: Nintendo Switch
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:08 pm 
Elite Member

Location: ┌(╬ಠ益ಠ)╯( ̄ー ̄)(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ:・✧(╯°Д°)╯彡┻━┻ψ(`∇´)ψ(☞゚∀゚)☞¯\_(ツ)_/¯ლ(ಥ益ಥლ)ԅ༼ ◔ڡ◔༽งヽ༼ʘ̚ل͜ʘ̚༽ノᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Nintendo finally fully reveals the Switch.

I've been pretty hyped for this thing. It's weird really, it's underpowered once again, but at the same time it has a sort of appeal that interests me. The idea of being able to actually play a real game on the go is impressive I guess. I supposed I've given up on the idea that Nintendo will rejoin the regular consoles, and instead just accept it for what it is: a device which offers a unique experience I can't get on my PC. It's the perfect secondary to my PC.

Or so I thought... but then Nintendo dropped the ball.

Spoiler!

Luckily there's a trial period. If the world is vocal enough, they might just go back on those plans... who am I kidding T_T

I do find it impressive how Nintendo hasn't abandoned all their old tech. This thing is effectively still a Wii and a WiiU (Though its unclear whether it actually has a touch-screen or not, I'm guessing not...), but smaller. Ever since the Wii they've pretty much just been building up more and more features, while the size stays the same, and now even shrinks.

The Zelda game looks fantastic by the way (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ:・✧

- Day[9] Daily 337 -

Post subject: Re: Nintendo Switch
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:52 pm 
Elite Member

The controller (with the screen in the middle) is actually not that much smaller than the Wii U. Only a tiny bit. Someone shared a side-by-side comparison on Twitter earlier today.

Anyway, I'm half way into the announcement video now.

I actually really like many of the things Nintendo are doing with the Switch. Paying for online play is something we just have to accept on consoles these days. I don't have much to comment on that. I don't own a PS or XBOX, so I hate the fact that you have to pay. But then again, it's just the nature of the game, I guess (no pun intended).

What excites me the most is that this console actually has a fair chance at targeting the same audience the Wii original did with the Wii Fit; 30-45 American women.

Why does this matter? Well, that target audience was partly the reason why the Nintendo Wii became such a huge success. If the "average consumer" accepts the console and buys it, game developers will notice. And when more game developers notice a console, more of the hardcore gamers will move over too.

So if they can make that happen with the Switch, I'll be happy. Let's hope it happens. My fingers are crossed, and I'll tell all my friends to buy a Switch :p

Check out our music-video! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMxZWMWRjSM
I'm on the drums, beaches!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:07 am 
Elite Member

I liked most of it. Thought the games looked cool and generally the concept seems dope. I had a few problems with it though. Firstly the controllers seemed waaaaay too small.

I don't have massive hands but damn, I can only imagine how anyone with even slightly larger hands than mine would struggle with those. Other than that the biggest issue to me seemed to be the really low battery life, 2-6 hours seems damn terrible.

And did I miss something or did they only "announce" like 2-3 games on release? The Mario game looked awesome and so did the 1, 2 , Switch game but unfortunately it won't ship with Mario. As it stands the lack of games at the announcement really puts me off. Granted I probably wouldn't buy one anyway, not too big on consoles, but still.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:20 am 
Elite Member

Location: ┌(╬ಠ益ಠ)╯( ̄ー ̄)(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ:・✧(╯°Д°)╯彡┻━┻ψ(`∇´)ψ(☞゚∀゚)☞¯\_(ツ)_/¯ლ(ಥ益ಥლ)ԅ༼ ◔ڡ◔༽งヽ༼ʘ̚ل͜ʘ̚༽ノᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
0l3n wrote:
I liked most of it. Thought the games looked cool and generally the concept seems dope. I had a few problems with it though. Firstly the controllers seemed waaaaay too small.
I don't have massive hands but damn, I can only imagine how anyone with even slightly larger hands than mine would struggle with those. Other than that the biggest issue to me seemed to be the really low battery life, 2-6 hours seems damn terrible.

This definitely bothered me a bit too, but I think the controller's size is a bit deceptive, due to the shape.
if you look at an xbox controller, it's probably roughly the same size, but it looks a bit bigger due to the handles sticking out. the actual buttons cover the same area.
And the joycons does seem to have a full controller mode with handles, though it does look a bit stupid...
(And thankfully it does come included)

Quote:
And did I miss something or did they only "announce" like 2-3 games on release? The Mario game looked awesome and so did the 1, 2 , Switch game but unfortunately it won't ship with Mario. As it stands the lack of games at the announcement really puts me off. Granted I probably wouldn't buy one anyway, not too big on consoles, but still.

I dunno... isn't that kinda normal? How many games do consoles usually launch with? At least we've got third party support for the first time in a while again.

- Day[9] Daily 337 -

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:30 am 

The modular feature is interesting.... I am still not 100% sold however.... I have never owned a gaming console...ever...and yet I do think they're cool... For some strange and unknown reason I just never felt a strong enough urge to buy one... As a child I don't remember asking for one either... It's weird... I can't explain it...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:09 am 
Elite Member

BuDo wrote:
I have never owned a gaming console...ever...and yet I do think they're cool... For some strange and unknown reason I just never felt a strong enough urge to buy one... As a child I don't remember asking for one either... It's weird... I can't explain it...

I did ask for a console as a child, but apart from that, what you wrote describes me exactly.

Never owned a console. But I'm seriously considering the Switch.
I've always known that if I were to ever buy a console, it'd be a Nintendo console because of the Nintendo IP games that you can't play anywhere else. Heck, you can't even play anything close to them on e.g. PC (nor PS / Xbox).

I'll not rush out and pre-order, but I might end up getting the Switch later this year. Shall be interesting :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:55 pm 
Elite Member

Some more news has come out in the last few days...

- Switch matchmaking and lobbies handled through phone app
- Totalbiscuit talks about the Nintendo Switch for just under 40 minutes
- Reggie talks Switch – online service, info teased on rebuying classic games, supply concerns, 3DS here to stay

It wasn't clear to me from the original presentation, but according to totalbiscuit the switch does in fact have a touch screen, so that's good. It would've seemed like a very strange step back if it didn't.
Also the monthly fee for multiplayer appears to be 5$. PSN/XL is $10 a month right? (unless paying for a year in bulk?)

Also Apparantly the entire Switch's multiplayer is REALLY dependant on smartphones and the Switch smartphone app...
Friends, voice chat, matchmaking and lobbies all handled through smartphones...

- Day[9] Daily 337 -

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:34 am 
Banned User

Spam, removed by Moderator Dom

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:07 pm 
Elite Member

So, did anyone buy a Switch yet?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:33 pm 
Common Member

ltsune wrote:

Maybe when it gets more games, right now you are basically paying 400$ to play Zelda. Which makes it one of most expensive games ever.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:00 am 
Elite Member

40Shades0fShame wrote:
ltsune wrote:

Maybe when it gets more games, right now you are basically paying 400$ to play Zelda. Which makes it one of most expensive games ever.

True. I'll probably wait till Christmas sale this year and hope for a discount :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:36 pm 
Common Member

ltsune wrote:
40Shades0fShame wrote:
ltsune wrote:

True. I'll probably wait till Christmas sale this year and hope for a discount :)

Good idea, at least new Mario should be out till then.