Silkroad Online Forums

A community forum for the free online game Silkroad Online. Discuss Silkroad Online, read up on guides, and build your character and skills.

Faq Search Members Chat  Register Profile Login

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:39 am 
Ex-Staff

just post the review here, and i will link it under the game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:55 am 
Veteran Member

Barotix wrote:
just post the review here, and i will link it under the game.

ok, sweet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:29 am 
Veteran Member

Name: EVE Online
Cost: P2P, 14 day trial

Graphics: 9/10 - A recent patch has brought up the graphics to standards of todays graphics, a completely new engine was used and the detail has gone up. the game already had some decent graphics.

Gameplay: ?/10 - The reason I'm not giving this category a rating is simply because it totally depends on who you are. When you first start out you go through stages that let you pick what your character looks like, the basic skills you start with a and few other traits. Your character isn't an actual "model", its an avatar that you maintain through the whole game. You model is a ship that has over 100 varities to get. The game has a unique system of skills and how much power you have over other players. unlike other mmo's skills are gained through training that can take up from 2 hours to a year to train. The best part about this training is that it can be done while offline. The training doesn't require you to be in game. The games PvE is mainly seen through quest's, in certain solar systems and other methods. (did i mention the is all done in space?). PvP has a whole set of regulations that can stop you from going into certain places and even loses millions in money. There are many things to do to pass the time, theres trading from one system to another (which has both PvP and PvE elements), mining (which you can find PvE in certain systems) and quest's (which can range from transporting cargo from one place to another to killing a gang pirates). Theres a vary detailed economy in which theres no constant price on things. I'm going to stop here because there is way to much for me to explain.

Sound: 5/10 - The sounds effects doing really range to much and the music is on a constant loops of about 10 songs.

Controls: 7/10 - Theres a small learning curve on this game if your going to use your keyboard, but you can use your mouse for almost everything in the game.

Overall: ?/10 - I'm not going to give this game an overall rating simply because this game isn't made for everyone out there, some people will love it, while others will hate it. EVE online is extremely different form other mmo's out there. I would recomend this game to someone who doesn't have a lot of time in there day to play games, one who likes fast paced action with a lot of flashy movements will find this game boring and will probably hate this game.

Last edited by Midori on Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:25 pm 
Ex-Staff

[UPDATED]
Nice review X-Lax

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:52 pm 
Veteran Member

Barotix wrote:
[UPDATED]
Nice review X-Lax

thanks, i would of included a screenshot but i do't have any on this computer : /.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:51 am 
Banned User

X-Lax wrote:
Name: EVE Online
Cost: P2P, 14 day trial

i found eve very very veryyyy boring.. but its just not my way of gamming i guess

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:18 am 

dark_killer wrote:
Name: Mu Online
Cost:Free2Play
"Hype":8/10

Private Server
Cost:Free2Play
"Hype":N/A

Edit: sorry for the double typing

Last edited by dark_killer on Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:31 pm 
Elite Member

Hershey wrote:
is perfect world up there?

Number 21.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:00 pm 
Ex-Staff

should I add like 2 games a day?

[UPDATED] added DDO [dungeons and dragons online] http://www.silkroadforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=73383
http://www.ddo.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:24 am 
Casual Member

#23: Guild Wars: http://www.guildwars.com

Overall: 6/10

The game was great when it was first released due to it's high population of people at the time. In order for you to be "competitive" in PvP you must buy all 3 campaigns which will cost you about $80.

PvE is really easy including the high end areas which requires organization more than anything else. Everything is instanced with a selection of eight skills on your skill bar.

Yes the level cap is only at 20 but there is still more you can do after that. After you beat the game there isn't much more to do except farm(sadly to say) and PvP. All campaigns offer PvP in Random Arenas, Guild vs Guild Team Arenas, and Hero's Ascent. Hero's Ascent has a lot of elitism as much of the game now.

If you want to try it, buy Guild Wars Prophecies: $10 but I wouldn't suggest playing and forking money over for Guild Wars in the long run. The developers pretty much abandoned it with the development of Guild Wars 2.

Jut my 2 cents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:33 pm 
Valued Member

maplestory: ( yes i did play it while i was a youngerster)
graphics 1/10: its 2d fgs
gameplay 4/10: game has no cap so there are crazy korean kids 180 where normal people hit vll 70 max. the maps are ok and the party quest are alot of fun.( btw in pt quests you group and face a set amount of challenges and at the end you vs a boss and you get item drops) there are no botters/hackers anymore though the game used to be a hackfest. community is good and logging in isn;t hard on any servers.
thought the game is 2d

EDIT: btw cin is perfect world much good?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:07 pm 
Ex-Staff

GrindingEternaly wrote:
maplestory: ( yes i did play it while i was a youngerster)
graphics 1/10: its 2d fgs
gameplay 4/10: game has no cap so there are crazy korean kids 180 where normal people hit vll 70 max. the maps are ok and the party quest are alot of fun.( btw in pt quests you group and face a set amount of challenges and at the end you vs a boss and you get item drops) there are no botters/hackers anymore though the game used to be a hackfest. community is good and logging in isn;t hard on any servers.
thought the game is 2d

EDIT: btw cin is perfect world much good?

PM CIN
[UPDATE] adding reviews for MS, and GW

EDIT: [UPDATE] New review for MS

that was great fena

Last edited by Barotix on Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:17 am 
Ex-Staff

TBH, I don't think GrindingEternally wrote a good review for MS.
I used to play it for a bit of time, so here's mine.

Name: MapleStory
Cost: Free with Cash Shop

Graphics: 7/10.
The graphics aren't bad. Of course, compared to games like CoD3 or even CS: Source, the graphics of MapleStory are horrible. But in my personal opinion, for a game that purposefully goes for a cartoonish-look, the graphics are quite nice - you have to look at it from a different angle. MapleStory doesn't strive for the realistic look. It strives for the cartoony look. Most of the armor and weapons are also nice to look at; eye-candy. Swords look like swords. Daggers look like daggers. Armor looks like armor. Mages look like mages. Assassins look like Assassins. And so on. For a cartoonish look, I think the graphics of this game certainly excels.

Gameplay: 5/10.
It's a classic MMORPG. Compared to SRO, it's a grindfest all the same. Especially in the higher levels, the grinding gets ridiculous. Getting to Level 90 to 91 takes on average more than 8-9 hours, depending on your class. And 120 is when the fun actually starts. The quests are usually also just grindfests. Collect a certain amount of x from monster x, or kill a certain amount of monster y. There's also not much skill to the game either. Mash on buttons x and y and z and k for your skills. Only real difference is that you use your keyboard to control your character on MS - not your mouse.
One of the good things about MS, though, is the lack of a cheating population. Botters and hackers are few with GameGuard. Of course, you'll have your scammers, but there are few bugs in the game, and unless the person being scammed is a complete idiot, scamming is usually hard. In this aspect of the game, MapleStory succeeds.

Community: 2/10.
MapleStory boasts a horrible community. The players of the game are the worst that I've ever met in any MMORPG - rude children. There are some great players, but the majority are children. And although there are exceptions, in a game where there's no PvP to let out your aggression, and with children thinking that they're safe behind a monitor, most of the time the community often gets heated.

Customer Support: 5/10.
Nexon is slowly getting better with their customer support. It's ALOT better than JoyMax. They have good English. They get back to you. Albeit, they do it after a long while, but its better than JoyMax and how they, most of the times, don't even reply to you at all. I've heard about how Blizzard and their WoW has amazing customer support. I've witnessed firsthand JoyMax's horrible one. MS's customer support would fall in between the two.

Cost and Cash Shop: 3/10.
While the game IS free with a cash shop, you could say that its in the same situation as SRO. Some people say that you NEED to have Silk now to play SRO - just to buy a Premium and log in. However, MS's population whines about the 2x XP that they're now selling. You can buy it 24/7, and level twice as fast as everyone else.
However, if you're paying, I don't consider that a bad thing. What I DON'T like about MapleStory's Cash Shop is how much everything costs. You'll spend more than five dollars to buy a small pixel shirt for your character that lasts for 90 days. Add a hat, shoes, earrings, gloves, weapon, pants, cape, pet, looter, teleport rocks, SMegas, and everything else, and some kids end up spending more than 100$ a week. Each SMega alone (the equivalent of a SRO Global) costs more than one dollar. Everything is simply too expensive.

Overall: 5/10.
What I didn't like too much about MS was the same that I don't like about SRO. It's a grindfest. The graphics don't bother me. Like I stated above, I even think the armors and the weapons look really nice. But the grinding. The eternal grinding. What do you grind for? So you can reach a higher level? To do what? To get a nicer weapon and armor. And then rinse and repeat. Rinse and repeat. The max level is 200, and honestly, to get to that level, you would have to play an insane amount of time. Imagine getting to Level 80 with no GT, farming 10 million SP, and then doing it with three characters.

Is there anything I missed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:32 am 
Veteran Member

Name: Knight Online
Cost: F2P
"hype": 6/10 [bots]

Graphics: 4/10 - Horrible i must say, it is not up to par with other F2P games out there. The graphics a livable if you can stand blocks.

Gameplay: 5/10 - I never really got that far into the game, but from what i could see from other people you could say that it might be better. At the time i played there where several things that seemed that if you where at a higher level, would be fun. The bot infestation wasn't noticeable in the area's that i played in, bot from what I've heard, there where area's that botting was allowed but gave off XP that would make it not worth it. The economy was bad, in fact very bad. people used glitches to get gold which ruined the economy. Now this game is mainly populated by Turkish people, they where very rude to me.

Sound: 0/10 - Can't give this a rating because at the time i played the game my speakers weren't working.

Controls: 5/10 - About the same as most other mmorpg's out there (they all have the basic setup)

Overall: 3/10 - It's a bad game that is severely outdated and issues that can rival Joymax's (at the time i played).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:43 am 
Ex-Staff

[UPDATED] another nice review X-Lax, appreciate it :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:19 am 

Name: Warrock
Type: MMOFPS
F2P, 3 types of premium available(bronze,silver,gold)
http://www.warrock.net

Fun game, nice to play if you just got disconnected from SRO. Pretty much choice of weapons, 5 classes and all real weapons. Needs some practice at first, afterwards everything is pretty logical.

Control: Logical, just WASD + mouse and shift and space for jumping and rolling

Community: Good forums, overall pretty nice community, NO server trouble EVER! Plus very important: Hackers are almost nooot present and if they are you can kick em from the room.

Graphics: Very nice, lots of options. Needs a bit of debugging still(shooting through walls and stuff)

Holiday in Austria: happy face / Without internet: sad face

Last edited by JeroenNL on Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:21 am 
Casual Member

JeroenNL wrote:

Fun game, nice to play if you just got disconnected from SRO. Pretty much choice of weapons, 5 classes and all real weapons. Needs some practice at first, afterwards everything is pretty logical.

Is it fast paced like Gunz Online and can you spray and pray?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:31 pm 
Valued Member

fena wrote:
TBH, I don't think GrindingEternally wrote a good review for MS.
I used to play it for a bit of time, so here's mine.

Name: MapleStory
Cost: Free with Cash Shop

Graphics: 7/10.
The graphics aren't bad. Of course, compared to games like CoD3 or even CS: Source, the graphics of MapleStory are horrible. But in my personal opinion, for a game that purposefully goes for a cartoonish-look, the graphics are quite nice - you have to look at it from a different angle. MapleStory doesn't strive for the realistic look. It strives for the cartoony look. Most of the armor and weapons are also nice to look at; eye-candy. Swords look like swords. Daggers look like daggers. Armor looks like armor. Mages look like mages. Assassins look like Assassins. And so on. For a cartoonish look, I think the graphics of this game certainly excels.

Gameplay: 5/10.
It's a classic MMORPG. Compared to SRO, it's a grindfest all the same. Especially in the higher levels, the grinding gets ridiculous. Getting to Level 90 to 91 takes on average more than 8-9 hours, depending on your class. And 120 is when the fun actually starts. The quests are usually also just grindfests. Collect a certain amount of x from monster x, or kill a certain amount of monster y. There's also not much skill to the game either. Mash on buttons x and y and z and k for your skills. Only real difference is that you use your keyboard to control your character on MS - not your mouse.
One of the good things about MS, though, is the lack of a cheating population. Botters and hackers are few with GameGuard. Of course, you'll have your scammers, but there are few bugs in the game, and unless the person being scammed is a complete idiot, scamming is usually hard. In this aspect of the game, MapleStory succeeds.

Community: 2/10.
MapleStory boasts a horrible community. The players of the game are the worst that I've ever met in any MMORPG - rude children. There are some great players, but the majority are children. And although there are exceptions, in a game where there's no PvP to let out your aggression, and with children thinking that they're safe behind a monitor, most of the time the community often gets heated.

Customer Support: 5/10.
Nexon is slowly getting better with their customer support. It's ALOT better than JoyMax. They have good English. They get back to you. Albeit, they do it after a long while, but its better than JoyMax and how they, most of the times, don't even reply to you at all. I've heard about how Blizzard and their WoW has amazing customer support. I've witnessed firsthand JoyMax's horrible one. MS's customer support would fall in between the two.

Cost and Cash Shop: 3/10.
While the game IS free with a cash shop, you could say that its in the same situation as SRO. Some people say that you NEED to have Silk now to play SRO - just to buy a Premium and log in. However, MS's population whines about the 2x XP that they're now selling. You can buy it 24/7, and level twice as fast as everyone else.
However, if you're paying, I don't consider that a bad thing. What I DON'T like about MapleStory's Cash Shop is how much everything costs. You'll spend more than five dollars to buy a small pixel shirt for your character that lasts for 90 days. Add a hat, shoes, earrings, gloves, weapon, pants, cape, pet, looter, teleport rocks, SMegas, and everything else, and some kids end up spending more than 100$ a week. Each SMega alone (the equivalent of a SRO Global) costs more than one dollar. Everything is simply too expensive.

Overall: 5/10.
What I didn't like too much about MS was the same that I don't like about SRO. It's a grindfest. The graphics don't bother me. Like I stated above, I even think the armors and the weapons look really nice. But the grinding. The eternal grinding. What do you grind for? So you can reach a higher level? To do what? To get a nicer weapon and armor. And then rinse and repeat. Rinse and repeat. The max level is 200, and honestly, to get to that level, you would have to play an insane amount of time. Imagine getting to Level 80 with no GT, farming 10 million SP, and then doing it with three characters.

Is there anything I missed?

i did rite a crap review : P but the game was pretty gay. did you mention the 20 channels? and actual GM events?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:02 pm 

Schizophrenic wrote:
JeroenNL wrote:

Is it fast paced like Gunz Online and can you spray and pray?

yeah its fast, with grenades flying everywhere and stuff. But CQC is the best, really small maps plus 16 players with 2 nades each = 32 nades flying everywhere. :D

But spraying will get you killed in no time(snipers like crazy)

Holiday in Austria: happy face / Without internet: sad face

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:08 am 

barotix I have a more comprehensive zu online guide

graphics: 7/10

the graphics are more of personal choice. I personally like it because its a nice refreshing break from 3D in other mmorpgs and instead zu online uses cell shading which gives the environment and charecters more anime styles. I like it, but if you like big flashes, graphical skills and awesome 3D effects, zu online isn't for you. And even though I like cell-shading too, the armor and simple clothing can get very boring

the whole game is very chinese mythology oriented. The gamemakers try to make it so that you are in like a myth kingdom with asian stylish HUDs and such.

gameplay: 8/10

if your a casual gamer, or perhaps not as hardcore as other mmorpg players, zu online can be fun because you can lvl quickly in the beginning and you don't have to be a high lvl to pvp. Zu online is VERY quest oriented. You can lvl up without quests, but knock yourself out, it'll be a grindfest. The first 30 lvls are a breeze, then it gets a little harder, but I still find it nice to be able to pvp and other stuff without having ot be a uber lvl. Heres a catch, though. The lvl cap is 200 (or 300? not sure). So in the long run, you might be ending up getting killed as players lvl up ther charecters.

as for pvp, its simple. All you do is go into the enemy's faction and look for noobies to kill. I recommend that your at least lvl 40 but killing at lvl 30 is possible. There are three factions and you join each one, then the other 2 become your enemies. Have fun racking points for your faction.

I like pvp because you don't lose money or gears. All you lose is gear durability which can be repaired minimal prices in the shop. But you can pay money and return to life in the spot you died in. Heres the catch for pvp. You can kill (and be killed) lvls of like plus or minus 50 of your own. So you can have a great time pwning little noobs or get murdered by super high lvl 100s.

You also get pets pretty easily. At lvl 30 you get a pet egg and soon it hatches and when your pet is lvl 40 you can ride it. What fun!

the in-game economy isn't so great. SRO is fun in that there is more trading and economy and item circulation. Zu online is really about yourself and getting equipment yourself. If you like markets and trading and interactions, zu online might not be too fun. Personally, SRO's economy system is a lot more fun.

community: 9/10

customer support is good, and the people are mostly nice in-game. Customer support is good except that they can't speak english as well as you might like it. But their intentions seem to be good, and doesn't seem like you need to buy from the item mall in order to be great. Keep in mind that this is open beta, and if they start getting greedy, zu online could turn into SRO. But the community is still MUCH better than SRO's.

If you join a clan (in fact ask piootr for joining a guild with many SRFers, including me) keep in mind that there can be clan wars and there are snotty clans who like to kill you for fun, even if your in the same faction, they get punished, which they don't seem to care. Join a clan, make good friends, and go kill other clans.

I don't know about emailing them, but their forum seems to be nice and I think its friendly, better than SRO.

Investing and item mall: 8/10

Frankly, I haven't clicked the item mall once. But that may be because im a lower lvl. At higher lvls you might need the item mall, but from my experiences, it seems to be optional goods and accessiroes. Anything can change though, since this is open beta. But you don't have to pay a cent to enjoy the game.

Overall: 7.5/10

Might be a little low. But there are great pros and cons that I see. Good support, no need for real money, easy grinding, pretty good graphics. From the bad, its really that there isn't player intereactions, not much trading going on, and not much bustling in-game economy, which imo makes a rpg game a lot better. Zu online doesn't have much of a ingame market.

but its a nice game, especially for people interested in mmorpgs, it can be a good gateway game. And a relaxing game for experienced ones too. I haven't had a time yet with hair-pulling yet :P this is open beta so look out for the full release, it might be a little better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:51 am 
Ex-Staff

[updated] ~ nice review Jstar
Hmm i might try warrock.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:09 am 

Barotix wrote:
[updated] ~ nice review Jstar
Hmm i might try warrock.

thx, remember to update that its still in open beta and that its F2P with item mall

Post subject: Re: MMORPgs v2 [UPDATED x19]
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:57 pm 
Veteran Member

wow, thats one hell of a review.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:03 pm 
just tried out Immortals Online (a little bit, not that great), and Saiya Online (by the makers of Last Chaos. might write a short review on what i've seen so far, just leveled a little bit. so if anyone's interested, i can give em some info before they start.

downloading SEAL online atm, looks like a fun game.. beta i think..

edit: i love my school's network..

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:13 am 
Ex-Staff

cin wrote:
just tried out Immortals Online (a little bit, not that great), and Saiya Online (by the makers of Last Chaos. might write a short review on what i've seen so far, just leveled a little bit. so if anyone's interested, i can give em some info before they start.

downloading SEAL online atm, looks like a fun game.. beta i think..

edit: i love my school's network..

hey cin when you're done playing [gotten to a sufficient point] could you pull out a review <3

[Updated] added seal online, and fixed spacing.

Post subject: Re: MMORPgs v2 [UPDATED x20]
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:04 am 

o_o

CABAL is coming to U.S.A?

I thought that the international version was pretty much given up on. If this is true, then I might actually dump SRO for CABAL. I keep hearing that it's a major grinder though. =(

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:04 am 
Advanced Member

I'd love to try out CABAL since I could never get that proxy to work.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:25 pm 
Ex-Staff

Cabal is coming to north america sign up for closed beta: http://cabal.ogplanet.com/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:18 pm 
Banned User

Is this a discussion thread?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:23 pm 
Ex-Staff

Pilot wrote:
Is this a discussion thread?

Yes, you can discuss various MMOs and other Online games here; if you see a game you've played or are familiar with feel free to write a review :) [or dispute a written review/rating]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next