Silkroad Online Forums

A community forum for the free online game Silkroad Online. Discuss Silkroad Online, read up on guides, and build your character and skills.

Faq Search Members Chat  Register Profile Login

All times are UTC

Post subject: Chat system.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:55 am 

This is just a suggestion, i have seen it on another forum, very useful, when needed.

well, just like facebook, You can chat to users, WHEN THEY ARE ONLINE, using the same system as facebook, i.e choose to be online or offline, hide status, etc etc, i think it would be useful, because we can chat to admins, and talk about people that are doing the wrong, and making it dealt with quickly, as the ADMIN, would be advised of it almost instantly, i think that sort of makes sense.

please, do consider this. not saying we need it, but it would be a grand accessory to this forum.

Sincerely, Clitrix.

Post subject: Re: Chat system.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:38 pm 
Addicted Member

Btw It is on Rev6 .

It would be nice and useful ^_^ .

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:32 pm 
Advanced Member

Didn't we have a chat system that got removed cuz nobody used it?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:54 pm 
Forum God

We had one. It may still be around here somewhere.

But anyhow, I disapprove of this idea. The last thing I want to see when I log onto SRF is a bunch of useless shit spammed in the chat box. It's nice in theory, but it isn't very practical.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:58 pm 
Banned User

we've had an IRC thing on here, you could click chat in the top menu. it basically died out. same thing that happens to the vents/TS's everyone sets up.. it's a pity but that's just in general what happens with these things.

i know the chatbox you are suggesting is probably not the same (as in, you won't have to open a different page to chat to people), but you are aiming for one at the top of your page like other forums have i guess. i can't say it won't work, but i'm pretty sure it has been looked in to in the past and there's probably a reason why it has not been implemented..

edit: i think the chat button in the menu got swapped for the donate one so the menu size didn't have to change. since nobody was using chat anyway..

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:19 am 

Zanti wrote:
we've had an IRC thing on here, you could click chat in the top menu. it basically died out. same thing that happens to the vents/TS's everyone sets up.. it's a pity but that's just in general what happens with these things.

i know the chatbox you are suggesting is probably not the same (as in, you won't have to open a different page to chat to people), but you are aiming for one at the top of your page like other forums have i guess. i can't say it won't work, but i'm pretty sure it has been looked in to in the past and there's probably a reason why it has not been implemented..

edit: i think the chat button in the menu got swapped for the donate one so the menu size didn't have to change. since nobody was using chat anyway..

I said, FACEBOOK, as in, down the bottom, shows online users, etc etc, not like the older one, that was practically useless.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:10 am 
Banned User

i never use the facebook chat haha that's probably why i misunderstood what you meant. i haven't seen that kind of chat on forums yet, not sure if it's available for phpbb so perhaps you could google it and see if such a script already exists? if it already exists then implementing it would probably not be a big deal, but if the coding still has to be done for phpbb then you'd really have to convince the admins to make it ;p

the one i meant would be the one you sometimes see at the top of a forum, where you can just chat with anyone who wants to chat.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:00 am 

Zanti wrote:
i never use the facebook chat haha that's probably why i misunderstood what you meant. i haven't seen that kind of chat on forums yet, not sure if it's available for phpbb so perhaps you could google it and see if such a script already exists? if it already exists then implementing it would probably not be a big deal, but if the coding still has to be done for phpbb then you'd really have to convince the admins to make it ;p

the one i meant would be the one you sometimes see at the top of a forum, where you can just chat with anyone who wants to chat.

yeah, that is true,

and also, i have found a forum using it, an australian gaming forum, works perfectly fine.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:08 am 

Sorry, don't understand.
Are you saying the chatbox where all online users can talk or similar to fb chat wheres its at the bottom and shows you whose online and you can chat to them?

I don't mind both.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:43 am 

cribs96 wrote:
Sorry, don't understand.
Are you saying the chatbox where all online users can talk or similar to fb chat wheres its at the bottom and shows you whose online and you can chat to them?

I don't mind both.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 7:30 am 
Casual Member

What about an IRC channel? where you can connect only if you have more than X posts? (so new accounts can't spam the channel)

I have no idea if this is possible though.

But i would chat if we had an IRC channel, for sure.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 10:55 am 
Addicted Member

Temperature wrote:
What about an IRC channel? where you can connect only if you have more than X posts? (so new accounts can't spam the channel)

I have no idea if this is possible though.

But i would chat if we had an IRC channel, for sure.

Maybe more than 10 posts or more than 25 to chat , There won't be any point in having a limit more than that , Assuming that they will add it at all .

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 11:33 am 
Casual Member

Any advice from the moderators/admins ?

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 11:27 pm 
Ex-Staff

For an IRC channel? I dunno, we can set one up but I think it'll be similar to the chat, and the vent channel, and the team speak channel; lots of interest for a week and then only 4-5 core members use it and people lose interest.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 7:23 am 
Casual Member

What if you link the "technical help" forum to the IRC channel? Wouldn't it bring more people? But many "noobs" aswell...

Don't know, maybe the IRC channel or the chat or whatever should just have a purpose instead of only off topic chat.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 2:07 pm 
Ex-Staff

Unlikely, the tech help forum is one of the slower forums, plus we'd have to always have mods online for the IRC, which isn't really feasible. That's why we have a forum, we can miss a hour or two but still mod effectively. The main problem is there is no difference between a forum and an IRC besides speed, but we don't host live events so we don't really need such a high speed of communication.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:39 pm 
Site Owner

We've had chat in a few different forms.

It gains popularity for a few days and people use it. Once the excitement wears off, and the trolls take over it loses flavor again and becomes dead. I think for many months I did not see one person in the chat system.

Thehelper encorporated the last chat application into their server; we had a section of it linked on SRF. They used it, we didn't. Any time I went to chat, I ended up just hoping over to the helpers channel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:26 pm 
Forum God

Why not a shoutbox on top of the page(under the logo) on the forum start?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:31 am 
Casual Member

HejsaN wrote:
Why not a shoutbox on top of the page(under the logo) on the forum start?

That's a pretty good idea actually. With simple rules such as "to be able to post in shoutbox you must register and have atleast 30 posts"

Usually a shoutbox avoids useless topics like "where can i find this quest" that have been posted over 9000 times.