Silkroad Online Forums

A community forum for the free online game Silkroad Online. Discuss Silkroad Online, read up on guides, and build your character and skills.

Faq Search Members Chat  Register Profile Login

All times are UTC

Post subject: SRO [GUIDE] Newb: Twenty (20) Things
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:15 am 

20 Things I Wish I Would Have Known When I Started SilkRoad Online
SUBTITLE: Newb thoughts during the first month traveling solo on the Silk Road
Spoiler!
INDEX:
Chapter 1: THE BASICS

Grandpa's thoughts wrote:
As a total newb (I’m still a newb) the following is a list of rather ‘simple’ things that I didn’t know when starting the game. For the players who have played forever these things are often taken for granted, but for the baffled newb who is confronted with “How do I survive while killing monsters:? types of questions there certainly isn’t time to figure it out.

1. One can travel between cities using Teleport.
  • I can almost hear people saying /DUH! But as a total newb not everybody knows this simple fact. I personally played for 3 weeks and never caught on except that a forum member here on SRF told me (thx, Glavie).
      I've only recently learned there is a teleport "Guide" in each town (thx, Sleepy1338). In Jangan he is located at the entrance to the Imperial Palace on the right side. He gives you options to teleport to the last recall point or to the place you died. (thx, pr0klobster)
    • By the time I did learn about the TP system, I had thousands of 2nd Degree Wind but still didn't like the fact that I was charged real $GOLD$ for the quick transport.
    • My friend had patience with me and after discovering the "secrets" of the stall network, I never turned back. Thanks again, Glavie, yer cool 8) and I very much appreciate the support you were willing to give to a newb during their Silkroad travels!
  • Certain quests prevent Teleporting and the use of Return Scrolls. :wink:
      I thought something was broken when that happened.

2. The characters on a single account all share the same storage.
  • This is an important fact when later you are trying to better yourself through the game economy because you can position one of your characters in a different city and designate him as your “Stall Character”. Yes, it takes gold to deposit things into storage and it also takes gold to transport your 2nd character (to Hotan, for instance). But as your coffers become full of elements from following the guidelines below it is well worth it.
    • Even newbs can spend silk. Somehow I knew almost immediately that I would :love: this game except for maybe a couple things. I don't like picking stuff up and I don't like having limited inventory space. Buying a "grab-it pet" (mine is a monkey) was one of the best decisions I've made. Side benefit is that one can fill the monkey inventory, put the pet into storage (for 1g) and transfer things to other characters on the cheap.
      • You'll need to be level 5 to use a 'grabber' pet so might as well complete the inventory expansion quest while your at it for your 2nd character.

3. SP Farming isn’t what it’s cracked up to be.
  • First thing to do is to choose what “Build” you might like. If you have no clue consider looking at the various Guides here at SRF [LINK to SRF Guide Lists] and find one that people say is difficult to mess up like Pure Strength.
  • Then make your character but don’t worry too much about your initial selections – they can be changed later if you like.

• The next thing (after you’ve leveled up and completed a couple quests) is to take a look at the SP calculator and understand the basics of “Gapping” your character. [URL for Nivlam Skill Planner] & [URL for Nivlam Skill Point Gap Calculator]
  • If you spend up your Masteries as soon as you can so that your highest mastery (doesn’t matter which one – weapon or force) … IF your highest is equal to your current level your character is Zero Gapping.
  • If your character is level 16 and your highest mastery is level 7 your character is “9 Gap”. Creating “gaps” between your masteries and character level determines the ratio of SP vs. EXP you earn per kill. The greater the gap, the more the SP earned. The greater the gap (this stops becoming beneficial at Gap 9) the lower the amount of EXP you earn per kill. By 9-Gapping you slow down how fast your character gains level and increase the amount of skill earned per kill, hence the term “SP Farming”.

4. A character is not locked into their initial Clothing Equipment choices.
  • If you wear Garment, you cannot mix-n-match. Full Garment gear (equipping all six (6) pieces) will grant 20% bonuses: +20% Movement speed & less Mana consumption. Garment gives the greatest protection against Magical attacks.
  • Protector and Armor can be worn at the same time but you will need the Full Protector set to get the bonuses. Full Protector gives +10%.
  • Heavy armor gives the greatest defense against Physical attacks (Tank gear).

5. There is a very nice “HELP” system in game for newbs (other than what you learn from General Soysauce (Sonhyeon). To open the help system you press [ESC] then choose HELP or just press “H”.
  • The Help system includes Basic information on each aspect of the game.
  • There is a complete Quest Guide on the Right Tab on top as well.

Last edited by Grandpa on Fri May 23, 2008 9:42 pm, edited 18 times in total.

Post subject: Re: [GUIDE] Twenty (20) Things
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:16 am 

SUBTITLE: Newb thoughts during the first month traveling solo on the Silk Road (continued)

INDEX:
Chapter 2: BUILDS
Choosing a character “build” is critical for your enjoyment of the game in the long term. What would happen if you had the mindset of a soldier who wanted to ‘be all that he could be’ and advanced every Mastery and Skill possible as fast as he could? At Mastery level 10 there are passives available that are very ‘tasty’.
  • Heuksal’s Cheolsam Force gives 102 HP increase
  • Cold Armor gives Physical Defense Power +2
  • Lightning’s Heaven’s Force increases Parry Ration by 9
  • Flame Devil Force increases Physical Dam by 1%
  • & Force Increasing (under the Force / Healing tree) gives 102 MP increase.
You could be bigger, better than before… the temptation is incredible! Resist it. Here’s why: Chinese characters are currently capped at a total of 300 masteries at level 80. Getting your character to level 40 and taking all your masteries with you would be a bad thing. In the above example your character would have been required to have level 40 masteries in 5 areas (200 total).
TOTAL SP NEEDED = 18800

In order to advance your Weapon Mastery and Two (2) Force Masteries to level 80 it will take a total of 240 Masteries leaving only 60 left over for a third. Best then to wait until your character is higher level and you understand what you want before making these types of decisions.

6. Builds are NOT that tough Choose one Weapon Skill and 2 Force skills (to conserve on Skill Points needed).
  • Pure STR and STR Heavy Hybrids:
    • Pure STR means all into Strength, Zero into INT)
      • 7:1 Hybrid (Heavy STR Hybrid) Level to lev 7 with Pure STR, then when you reach level 8 put 3 points into INT. Keep doing this with INT increased at levels 16 and 24 only – Voila! You’re on the way to a 7:1 Str Hybrid.
  • Pure INT and INT Heavy Hybrids
    • Pure INT means all into Intelligence, Zero into STR.
    • 1:1 Hybrid: Level once  All into INT, level again  All into STR /// repeat
    • 70:70 Balance Hybrid (mostly for BOW weap) is a different approach and does not directly compare STR to INT ratios but instead considers the “Balance Percentage” statistic.

7.You won’t ever be able to change your “build” that is, once a point is spent into STR or INT that choice will remain forevermore.
  • BUT… if you are, for instance, a level 20 Pure STR and would like instead to become a 70:70 Balance Hybrid (Heavy INT BOW), it’s not too late. Place 100% of your stats into INT until you are approximately level 45 and voila! As you might infer, making another character could be considered easier.

8. Some choose to complete the lower levels with a BOW and switch weapons later, mostly this is for those who already own a Sox Bow and want to SPFarm at Bandits solo. They don’t raise their masteries beyond level 7 and plan on recovering those spent into Pacheon (Bow Weap Skill) later with the curst heart quest at level 20. The main advantage to a BOW is that they give range and you can target a different mob while you are killing your current one.

9. Partying with others can increase both EXP and SP gained per kill.
  • There are two (2) types of Parties:
    • Four (4) member parties (a.k.a. 'Distribution' or 'SP' parties) All characters in a full SP party (4 players) gain 10% ~ 20% skill experience points bonus per kill (400 skill experience points = 1 SP) and it doesn’t matter if they are close to each other or not. Of course less people in the party means less bonus.
    • Eight (8) member parties (a.k.a. 'Share' or 'EXP' parties) for PLeveling. Characters need to be within range to benefit from kills made by other players. Typically this distance is ~how far you can see if you are zoomed out. You can check your picture to be sure. The amount of xp you would get per kill (if you are in range) depends on the number of people and their levels relative to yours. Best experience for all is found from an 8 member party where everybody is participating.
    • There may be differences for Euro characters. My guess is that Euro characters prefer the 8 man type parties and am told this is due to their specializations.
(thx, Shadow)

10. If you die you will lose approximately 2% of your Level Experience
  • “Deleveling” ones self involves dying sufficient number of times to lose a level. Clerics or friends who can RES are very useful if you are going to attempt this.
  • “Deleveling” ones skills involves buying from the ITEM MALL [F10] or getting the ‘curst hearts’ quest at level 20.

11. It’s much easier to (if your guildmate doesn’t mind) to be PLeveled at Peons, but this again assumes that you are not a newb, that you have a guild or at the very least friends who are willing and able to Power Level you.
  • Pardon a little pet peeve of mine (others too, I'm sure) please. Don't be a rude newb. We have our reputations to think of. At some point we will figure it out and part of that is the understanding that the people on our server are our community. We're going to be playing with these people for a long time (hopefully) and causing first impressions by begging isn't the best use of our limited wisdom and foresight.
  • If you are 9-Gapping you may want to delay your questing, or at least turning in the quests until after you close your gap.

12. You don’t need to carry (if you are Chinese, that is) a certain Weapon to use that weapon skill passive
  • Heuksal Cheolsam (Passive) increases HP
  • Pacheon Mind Concentration (Passive) increases Attack Rating

13. The number one thing I wish I would have known about builds and skills when I started SilkRoad Online was that here on the SRF Forums all the “good stuff” is permanently stickied on the top posts. Learning how to find the information needed (when it’s needed) is paramount.

Last edited by Grandpa on Fri May 23, 2008 9:03 pm, edited 7 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:17 am 

SUBTITLE: Newb thoughts during the first month traveling solo on the Silk Road (continued)

INDEX:
Chapter 3: ECONOMY
The economy of Silkroad Online is based (of course) on the Supply and Demand system.
    Supply” will vary according to what Server you are on (and the age of the Server) as will “Demand”.
  • The only way to determine actual prices for your Server is to visit several cities and look at the Stall Network over a period of time. Take notes for Alchemy Elements and Elixirs especially. As far as I know (so far) there are no databases for each item on each Server compiled at this time. Please correct me if I am wrong as this would prove to be an excellent resource.
  • A simple ‘rule of thumb’ is to ignore all statements about how much stuff is worth until it is “proven” because even though a Level 1 Chest Armor SoMoon+1 might be worth 50k on one server, to a collector on a new server (where the supply is lower) it could be worth 10 times this amount.

Economy in general follows certain rules. Cost of Production vs. Net Gain is a bottom line way of thinking. Lower your cost of production by farming target monsters that are 3~4 levels below you (to make killing faster and reduce potion /// herb consumption). Selecting monsters according to spawn rate (killing Bandits) is fine for a SP Farmer, but only Bandit Archers will drop <Broken Arrows> which is one of the Alchemy Materials the produces 2nd Degree Wind elements.

14. W2 (2nd Degree Wind Elements) are valuable because Stones that add +STR to 6th, 7th and 8th Degree items require it. Image

15. One can get more W2 from Destroyer Rondo’ing D2 and D3 drops.
16. One can get even more W2 from Void Rondo’ing certain Materials (and Void Rondo is cheaper).
  • Note: Collect “Broken Arrows” from Bandit Archers or “Fishbones” from Chakji Workers (for instance).
    <see table below> for Jangan list.

17. Each city has it’s own separate Stall Network
  • The reason you can’t find your 3rd Degree Weapon while searching the Jangan Stall Network is because the seller is in another city.
  • The reason you can’t sell your elements quickly enough even though you placed them on the Stall Network is because the buyers are in another city (Hotan).
  • Scamming in Exchange: First, the Scammer shows you the real item. You see it, you decide that you like it and you are going to buy it... And then, as you input the gold amount into the exchange window, the Scammer replaces the item with another one which has the same icon but not the same value. Avoid this scam by checking again before you hit the final “APPROVE” button
  • Scamming in a Stall: Much like the above, but the technique is to spam advertisements while the stall is being modified. Then there is either an item or price replacement. Same as above, a Scammer will show you a valuable item and before opening the stall he replaces the item. Or he may leave the item but adds a 0 in the price. Avoid this scam by only considering when the stall is actually OPEN and not being modified.

19. Starting a Job isn’t "the best" way to make gold but it is fun. At level 20 your character can start their first job. Recommend your 1st Job as Merchant / Trader (please forgive me for any small errors here – my character is just now Jobbing as a beginner)
  • As a trader, you earn money by buying special goods from a specialty trader and sell them to another specialty trader (in another city).
  • Longer distance between the two specialty traders increases profit. Also, more stars (difficulty) mean the more you gain but it’s riskier.
  • If you fail to complete a trade and your special goods are stolen by a player thief, you lose all the money you invested on the trade. If you were killed by a monster or by NPC thieves your special good will remain on the ground and you can recover them and continue the trade. Note: you cannot pick up your special goods unless you have another convoy animal with you.
    • There is no 1 star protection if you are trading during the “Bargain Priced Special Goods” period. There also is no 1* protection after level 40. (thx Cloverleaf)
    • “Star Trading” determines the number of NPC thieves that are summoned occasionally while you are on your route.
    • NPC Thieves will generally be your level.
  • Protection status for 1 Star trades means that Player Thieves cannot attack you directly.
  • Skilled high level Thieves can still kill you though without getting Murderer status. The can do this by aggro’ing several high level monsters and dragging them to you to let the monsters do their dirty work for them. Not much danger for this happening, the value of your trade simply isn’t worth the time.

20. Most people talk about SP Farming with 9 Gap because they have an “End Game” perspective that is… they’ve advanced one or more of their characters to a very high level and are confronted with the difficulties of earning Skill Points they want at that high of level. It takes forever to 9 gap from level 53 to level 54 for instance. You’ve probably heard that what you “should” do is get to lev 16 and grab your Sox Weapon and SP Farm at Bandit Den. The advantage is you can kill very fast due to the fast respawn rate but this assumes you are fully funded and not a newb with a glazed look in your eye.
  • You (as a newb) with time on your hands can gain as much SP (not SP per hour but total) from 9 Gapping what ever you like to kill. Consider killing “Greens”:
    • You can look at the picture of the monster you have targeted. There is a color coded circle next to their name that shows you approximately what level the monster is relative to your level. Blue circle is way below, Green circle is 4~5 level below, White or Silver are approximately your level, Orange and Red are higher than you.
    • The advantages for killing Greens is lower cost per kill (in terms of the cost of repair, the cost of arrows (if you use a Bow), the cost of mana and health recovery (herbs and potions). Greens drop more frequently also.
  • Economy is a big part of the picture for a newb. Ask yourself, would you rather have a level 42 who advanced to that level quickly or a fully farmed RICH BITCH level 42 who took their time and chose their targets from a Cost/Benefit analysis? Farming monsters that drop materials that can be Void Rondo’d into 2nd Degree Wind FTnW (For The newbie Win)! Remember when you are playing, you will get the same amount of SP eventually no matter what monster you target. There is a total FIXED amount of Skill Points gained per level determined by your Gap. To my way of thinking we might just as well take time at the beginning so that not only can we afford to purchase the Skills needed later by 9 Gapping when possible but we should also select our targets to increase our gold amounts so we can afford that juicy weapon later on.

Jangan materials dropped that can be Void Rondo’d for 2nd Degree WIND:

Last edited by Grandpa on Sun May 18, 2008 4:05 pm, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:19 am 

INDEX:
You've read the guide? Great!
You've earned the right to turn off your "Beginner's Mark". Here's how:

Off topic Extra: (no-extra-charge).
20-things-i-wish-i-had-known-when-starting-out-in-life/

<Reserved>

Last edited by Grandpa on Sun May 18, 2008 4:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:11 am 
Veteran Member

lol sorry to inturupt here

but i discovered on like my 2nd day the teleporter, the first night i was too focused on mangyangs

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:33 pm 

Great job ... Really this will help alot of newbies , and not only newbies ... :D
*clap* *clap* 8) 8)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:33 pm 
Frequent Member

+1
Very nice, useful for beginners. One thing regarding teleporting might be useful to add though. Some quests prevent you from teleporting, it took a while from me to figure this fact out when I started SRO. I wasn't even the only one, today helped a buddy who was stuck and couldn't use a scroll because of a quest. He was rather relieved when he got out of that fence.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:24 pm 

Shadow wrote:
+1
Very nice, useful for beginners. One thing regarding teleporting might be useful to add though. Some quests prevent you from teleporting, it took a while from me to figure this fact out when I started SRO. I wasn't even the only one, today helped a buddy who was stuck and couldn't use a scroll because of a quest. He was rather relieved when he got out of that fence.
Shadow, YES! I remember that, fighting those Trees. I had no clue why my return scrolls stopped working but thought that I should have used them before level 10. I actually went as far as selling the worthless things to a NPC, but thought twice and bought them back.

The other one (now that I think about it) is how you all of a sudden stop being able to res where you die. Thank you, Shadow. Changed it.

Nitro, thank you.

foudre, we all have different experiences on the Silkroad. Me? I had a Seal of Moon armor drop. My eyes were popped out: :shock: .and. (@.@)

Last edited by Grandpa on Fri May 23, 2008 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:46 pm 
Valued Member

Nice guide! I learned a few new things myself, even though I've been playing for over a year and know a lot about the game.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:25 am 
Valued Member

Good job!

All I can add:
- You must be level 5+ to use a grabber pet. It's worth to level your stall character anyway for the first inventory expansion quest.
- 1 star protection works under level 40.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:31 pm 

Cloverleaf wrote:
Good job!

All I can add:
- You must be level 5+ to use a grabber pet. It's worth to level your stall character anyway for the first inventory expansion quest.
- 1 star protection works under level 40.

Thanks, Cloverleaf! I made the changes.

Deathsythe, thank you. Your comment was exactly what I was shooting for.

Thanks again.
~Grandpa

Last edited by Grandpa on Fri May 23, 2008 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:22 pm 
Banned User

Also there is a npc in Cons. and Jangan where you can teleport to the last place you died, or scrolled as long as your under 20 I think.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:01 pm 
Hi, I'm New Here

Thx a lot, also helpful for semi-newbs...

Grandpa wrote:
12. You don’t need to carry a certain Weapon to use that weapon skill passive

You mean it's sufficient to have the weapon in your inventory to get the boost of HP,...?? In that case I think I should add Glory armor and Favor armor to my subclass Cleric skills...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:03 am 

bvdauwer wrote:
Thx a lot, also helpful for semi-newbs...

Grandpa wrote:
12. You don’t need to carry a certain Weapon to use that weapon skill passive

You mean it's sufficient to have the weapon in your inventory to get the boost of HP,...?? In that case I think I should add Glory armor and Favor armor to my subclass Cleric skills...

Not saying that I would endorse this course, but the passives from those skills do not need a weapon at all, only the mastery. In other words if you planned on using the Curst hearts quest later, you could spend 10 Masteries on Heuksal and then more SP on Cheolsam to increase your Hit Points. This is different entirely from the Euro skills and only of note if you don't mind the nuisance of paying to recover the SP spent later.

Kindly recall that I am a newb to the entire game and to date only have experience with the Chinese characters.

Xemanas wrote a Rogue guide that you might want to see. To the best of my understanding the Cleric skills that are noted with (NCS) require a Cleric Rod to be continually equipped.
His full guide is Comprehensive Rogue Guide [COMPLETE]

Not proven yet, but my thought is that to use Glory Armor or Favor Armor both full set Light Armor gear and Cleric Rod must be equipped. Perhaps somebody with direct sub Cleric experience can reply.

I did edit that section of my guide to clear up the confusion (thanks, bvdauwer).

Thank you for your response.
~Grandpa

Last edited by Grandpa on Fri May 23, 2008 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: [GUIDE] Newb: Twenty (20) Things
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:59 pm 
Hi, I'm New Here

Thx Grandpa

I guess you could add a billion things to this topic, but maybe some extra's:

SOS - SOM - SOSUN
I know I did longtime to find out what this meant, all these stalls shouting SOOOSSS etc.
in this topic http://www.silkroadforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=83269 there's an easy explanation.

I also took a while to discover that blues and stats on a weapon can be very important... :roll: I always sold them under the NPC price :banghead:
But I guess if someone does the effort to search on this forum, they'll find all the answers about alchemy.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:45 am 

bvdauwer wrote:
Thx Grandpa
But I guess if someone does the effort to search on this forum, they'll find all the answers about alchemy.

Thanks again, bvdauwer. I'd agree that there are many many other things to learn in the game. I tried to find a "newbie" specific guide and wrote this during my first month playing SRO. Consequently I don't mention things like market price for level 4+ (and higher) stones (STR and INT) or other principles of Alchemy because the level 2 and 3 market isn't that great of a money maker. You make a good point though, BLU attributes added to armors and weapons is what drives the prices of the elements. Elixirs will also command a decent price, but personally I save every single elixir for my future needs.

I'm almost ashamed to tell you how many "worthless" items (materials that could be rondo'd to elements) I sold to vendors. :banghead:

Many thanks, 'our' guide is shaping up. Appreciate all the comments here.
~Grandpa

Last edited by Grandpa on Fri May 23, 2008 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:38 pm 
o.

stickied, looks great.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:11 pm 

cin wrote:
o.

stickied, looks great.
Thank you, cin.
I feel like I just got an award *blush

Last edited by Grandpa on Fri May 23, 2008 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:49 pm 
Frequent Member

One thing to add:

If you die below level 10, you can simply res yourself at the exact same spot. No XP loss. Newbs to the game can use this to some degree to explore the world.

Also, if you die below level 14-15 (I think?) there is no XP loss but you can no longer res at the exact same point. Someone else remind me of the cutoff, please!

You can res back in town (hopefully Jangan or Constantinople) and use the guide to teleport back to the place where you died. This will work up to and including level 20. At 21, you can no longer use the teleports in this fashion.

If this info is already in there, my apologies, I scanned it somewhat briefly.

Very nice guide for a newb, Grandpa; kudos to you.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:22 pm 

pr0klobster Oh? Hmmm, how would I "use the guide to teleport back", please? I want to edit this to include your thought. I'll create a new character and learn it if you respond. I know there are other things missed here and very much appreciate all the help given.

OH!!! And thanks also to the guests that take a look at this guide!

~Grandpa

Last edited by Grandpa on Fri May 23, 2008 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:02 pm 
Frequent Member

Grandpa wrote:
pr0klobster Oh? Hmmm, how would I "use the guide to teleport back", please? I want to edit this to include your thought. I'll create a new character and learn it if you respond. I know there are other things missed here and very much appreciate all the help given.

~Grandpa

I can't recall the name, but there is a teleport "Guide" in each town. In Jangan he is located at the entrance to the Imperial Palace on the right side. He gives you options to teleport to the last recall point or to the place you died.

In Constantinople she is by the fountain and gives you the same options.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:25 pm 

pr0klobster wrote:
Grandpa wrote:

~Grandpa

I can't recall the name, but there is a teleport "Guide" in each town. In Jangan he is located at the entrance to the Imperial Palace on the right side. He gives you options to teleport to the last recall point or to the place you died.

In Constantinople she is by the fountain and gives you the same options.

So... if I was level 18 and wanted to delevel back to 16 so that I could SP farm more
Set my res place to Jangan
  • Go to DW and die
  • Walk to the Palace
  • Tele back to where I died
  • Rinse and repeat

I heard about using the Party Match system to get somebody to Res me (faster) but I was too shy.

Thanks again,
~Granps

Last edited by Grandpa on Fri May 23, 2008 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:26 am 
Loyal Member

First off great guide i really wish i knowen these things too lol and thanks for putting your time and effort into this guide

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:43 am 
Ex-Staff

wow. I can't believe I just saw this Guide.
this is an amazing Guide. the organization makes it so easy and clear to read, not to mention that it makes me laugh because these are the things that I had wish I'd known when I played SRO.

probably the best Guide that I've seen on all of SRF. thanks, Grandpa!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:29 am 

High praise indeed.

Thank you kindly but most of my information came from other people here on the forum
Especially:
  • Glavie for the 'lion's share' of the information
  • cin for the formatting and all the other guides
  • Mugen† for the "why" of the SRO economy).
:P

~Granps

Last edited by Grandpa on Fri May 23, 2008 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 8:08 pm 
Common Member

i needed to know this 2 years ago, before i made a pure strength s/s :D

Post subject: Re: SRO [GUIDE] Newb: Twenty (20) Things
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 12:53 pm 
Common Member

Dont want make table of contens? It would be nice if build ingame, but not sure that all sro help(number of options in help window) looks the same.

[Release]DDJ/DDS converter
All europe quest

Inactive.
Send me pm if something is not working. But reply may take longer.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 4:10 pm 

JanChlpik wrote:
Dont want make table of contens? It would be nice if build ingame, but not sure that all sro help(number of options in help window) looks the same.

Greetings, JanChlpik
:oops: I'm not sure what you mean, could you make a small example and post it here?
I understand that you have an idea that could improve this guide.
You mentioned a "Table of Contents" and "In Game Help" system.
But I need more information (example) to really know what you're talking about.

Thanks for your interest,
~Grandpa

Last edited by Grandpa on Fri May 23, 2008 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 1:43 am 
Loyal Member

Grandpa ur my hero :D

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 7:59 pm 
Frequent Member

Grandpa wrote:
I've only recently learned there is a teleport "Guide" in each town

Only the starting towns, Constantinople and Jangan have newbie teleport guides.

Grandpa wrote:
9. Partying with others can increase both EXP and SP gained per kill.
  • There are two (2) types of Parties:
    • Four (4) member parties (a.k.a. SP parties) All characters in a full SP party (4 players) gain 10% skill experience points bonus per kill (400 skill experience points = 1 SP) and it doesn’t matter if they are close to each other or not. Of course less people in the party means less bonus.
    • Eight (8) member parties (a.k.a. EXP parties) or PLeveling. Characters need to be within range to benefit from kills made by other players. Typically this distance is ~how far you can see if you are zoomed out. You can check your picture to be sure. The amount of xp you would get per kill (if you are in range) depends on the number of people and their levels relative to yours. Best experience for all is found from an 8 member party where everybody is participating.
    • There are differences for Euro characters (because their skill and exp mechanics are different but I don’t know anything about that, having only played Chinese so far. My guess is that Euro characters prefer the 8 man type parties.

A distribution party (max 4 ppl) gives bonus in exp and skill exp. The bonus is +5% for member joined. Two people in the party, both get 10% bonus. Three people and all will get 15% bonus. Four people in the party and all will get bonus 20% exp and skill exp. If you are soloing mobs you should always remember to join (or create) a distribution party. If you are going to solo for long, there often are parties named LTP in the party match (Press e for party match list). LTP stands for Long Time Party.

Also, "exp party" is a bit misleading name for share parties. The ratio of sp and exp you get depends on the gap between your level and the highest mastery level. Being in a party does not change that ratio, but being in a party can change the speed you get both sp and exp.
A share party is ideal for euros, since they are more "specialized" than chinese. For example, wizards deal huge damage, but they also are the most fragile build in the game. Warriors kill slower but they can take hard beating. The idea of share party is to combine these abilities to make an awesome killing machine. The wizards deal damage and kill things, warriors take the damage from mobs and keep the fragile int players safe. A cleric makes sure the tanks (warriors) stay alive and in good health. A bard keeps the int players casting spells by giving MP and other buffs, and warlocks maximize the damage output with de-buffs and DoTs (damage over time). Rogues can lure mobs to the party, or act as damage dealers with wizards. Of course chinese can work in share parties too, even though they lack team buffs. Chinese nukers are good damage dealers, and for example bowmen make good lures.
A working share party can hunt monsters that are over ten levels higher than the average level of its members. Because of the ability to kill high level monsters, the members get great deal of xp (both sp exp and exp).
I am not aware of any differences in skill and exp mechanics between chinese and euro. The main reason why euros level faster is share parties. Sure, some euro builds are great in soloing too (like wizard/bard or rogue/bard) but characters like 1-hand warrior, cleric and bard really need parties to level effectively. It can be really hard to get a share party working because unfortunately many people are not familiar with teamwork, especially on lower levels.
Edit: forgot to mention that being in a share party with at least one other member nearby will spawn party monsters, which are a lot tougher than normal monsters. Party mobs give good xp and drop lots of gold, and also often good item drops.

In the end, one thing about hybrid builds. Even though you can't change the stat points you've already set, you can alter your mag/phy balance by adding Int/Str points on your gear by using alchemy.

This guide looks even better than last time I saw it. Excellent, keep it up.

ps. oops, did I write that wall of text? More action, less words.. Perhaps I'm getting old.