Silkroad Online Forums

A community forum for the free online game Silkroad Online. Discuss Silkroad Online, read up on guides, and build your character and skills.

Faq Search Members Chat  Register Profile Login

All times are UTC

Post subject: [GUIDE] How to make money off of bots! (Caping Guide)
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:25 pm 
Valued Member

i. Introduction
I was inspired to write this guide last night after participating in BHA's first Run of Noobs. What we did was all make level one characters and ran to Rok Mountain. Then we stole stuff from bots for fun and profit. How? Well, that's what this guide is about...

1. Creating a Character
It is important that you create a brand new character for bot poaching unless you already have a character that can survive Rok Mountain because when you die you will not have to worry about losing experience or running back to Rok. All Euro characters can talk to Guide Riise in Constantinople and instantly teleport back to where they died or they can simply res right on spot. This is infinitely handy when poaching bots, as you will die alot. Finally, do not use Armor or a Shield. Instead wear robes. While Armor and Shields give you a better chance of blocking (and yes even a lvl 1 can occasionally block mobs at Rok), the blocked mob will probably kill you on its second try. Therefore, Armor and Shields only slow you down. Use Robes instead.

Character-building checklist:
  • Level 1 European noop
  • Robes
  • Clever bot-slamming name (mine is iPoopOnBots)
  • About 10k to get started (you will make this up really fast)

2. Developing your Character
If you do not buy silk, it is ok to leave your bot poacher at lvl 1 (that's what I did). However, if you do buy silk, I would recommend that you level your noop up to 5 so that you can use pickup pets which will be extremely handy (but not necessary). I would not recommend leveling up to 10 just so you can get a horse, because mobs on Rok will just 1-hit your horse and then you anyway, so it will just be a waste of money.

3. Preparing for the Poach
Before you set off for Rok Mountain, there are a couple of things that you will need to do. First, get rid of everything in your inventory. NPC the noop return scrolls and use the Time Tickets as soon as you can (you can't NPC those). The idea is to get as much inventory space as possible to minimize trips back to town. Next, fill up your inventory with the cheapest Item you can find. Traditionally, people have chosen Capes. However, Capes cost 500g, whereas level 1 wrist robes are around 300g as are rings. Most of the time any Item (equipment or weapon including capes) will work, but occasionally bots are smarter and Rings and Wrist Protectors will not work. If you suspect this being the case use Capes instead.

4. Running to Rok
Now that your character is made and your inventory is full, it is time to run to Rok Mountain! This is pretty self-explanitory. Just take your noop and run! Try to dodge mobs along the way, but don't worry too much - if you die, just click res on spot and continue running. It should only take a few minutes to get to Rok. See if you can get a friend who is a Bard to give you the speed buff. Also, starting from Samarkand or Hotan significantly reduces trip time. (Just make sure your default return point is still Constantinople.)

5. Choosing a Good Spot at Rok
Alright! You made it to Rok, good job! Now where can you find bots? Well, I have a couple of good spots circled on the map below:
Obviously, these aren't the only places you can find bots, but they are some known hot spots and a good place to start.
There are a couple of things to keep in mind when choosing a spot:
  • Try to find an area where there are lots of bots. This is helpful for getting more drops.
  • If you can find party mobs, great! Party mobs have a better chance of dropping items.
  • Roks (highest level mobs) are right around Heart Peak. While they have better drops, they also have fewer drops. You decide where you want to hunt, but I recommend not poaching anything lower than Wings.
  • If the bots leave or come back from AFK, just move on to another area and check up on them later.

6. The Poaching Part
Now that you have a spot chosen, it's time to poach some bots! This is a relatively simple procedure, but must be done the right way for it to work. Remember all of those items I had you buy in town? I am going to refer to them as capes from now on (even if they were rings or something else). Once you find a bot with a pickup pet that is picking up loot, start dropping your capes. You will notice that they look like a weapon or equipment on the ground. They look that way to the bot too. The bot will start picking up the capes. You must keep dropping them. Eventually, the bot's inventory will become full and it will stop picking stuff up (even gold in most cases). Remember, every bot is different, and may have different pick up settings. Watch and make sure it has stopped picking stuff up that it had previously picked up before continuing. If you run out of capes, go attack a Wing and get 1-hit, then res back in town. Refill your inventory and talk to Guide Riise (near So-Ok) and have him teleport you back to the place where you last died. Then continue filling the bot's inventory.
Once you have all the bots in the area inventory filled, just run around and watch for drops. I usually pick up all alchemy items, large piles of gold, tablets, elixers, weapons, and equipment. When you are done you can go back to town and stall or NPC the tablets, make elements from the alchemy items, and stall or rondo the equipment and weapons. Since everything is 9d, you should make some decent money doing this (especially to a low-level like myself).
Last night, I did this for about four hours during two intervals and got over 300k gold from gold drops, a level 81 talisman with str and int blues which I rondoed, a weapon elixer, a shield elixer, many alchemy items which I broke down into high-level elements, and 40 tablets (some of which stalled for 500k each.) That's a total earning in four hours of roughly 4 million gold. Oh, and I didn't use a pickup pet. Not bad for a low level, eh?

7. Tips and Tricks
  • Capes and other items can be purchased from the NPC in quantities of 5. This saves you the trouble of purchasing each one individually.
  • If Demon Shaitan appears, you should go look for him. Alot of the people there are botters, and while they may not be AFK, you can still piss them off by filling up their inventories while they are killing him (their pickup pets will snag your capes) Also, there is a chance that alot of gold or an item may be left behind after the kill that you can ninja.

Conclusion
I hope you have enjoyed my guide. It is a great way for low levels to make money and high levels to get revenge on the bots. If you have any questions, corrections, or suggestions, please say them below and I will try to keep this guide as up-to-date and accurate as possible. Happy poaching!

ex-Venus: BHA:SD Wizard GreatGatsby
ex-Xian character: MARKsman7328

Last edited by [SD]MARKsman7328 on Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: [GUIDE] How to make money off of bots! (Caping Guide)
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:37 pm 

awsome guide Gatsby :D we'll use it for the next Race of Nubs :P

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:46 pm 
Loyal Member

You forgot. I copied this guide from csro...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:20 am 
Frequent Member

[SD]MARKsman7328 wrote:
Therefore, Armor and Shields only slow you down. Use Robes instead.

Carrying a shield does not have any effect on your running speed. Also, to get the speed bonus from robes you'll have to wear the whole set, not just the parts you're given when you make a new char.
Also, if I recall, a level 10 char is able to res itself at spot. If you make a level 10 bard, you'd get a 20% moving march. All chinese characters (lvl 20 and under) can teleport from Jangan to the place where they died last, or the last recall point.

Sounds fun though.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:00 am 
Elite Member

Old, and there was already such a guide

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:31 am 
Banned User

but bots can choose what they pick up and they go back to town when there inventory is full so this might not work :?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:32 am 
Common Member

The_Sin wrote:
but bots can choose what they pick up and they go back to town when there inventory is full so this might not work :?

that's true... but you can try at least
If you're lucky could find one of those botters that are AFK the whole night. So as you will be dropping capes from 1 to 1... (or other items)... they will go back to town, storage and back to grind... in the same area that they were, so you will find him again...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:28 pm 
Valued Member

I have had very few bots go back to town when their inventory fills. If that happened all the time, we could easily keep areas bot-free by just dropping capes until they leave.

Last night I was stalling some more tabs that I had gained. I made another 2mil.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:43 pm 
Casual Member

any hints on distinguishing between bots and real players? i was trying this and it pissed off a couple people lol. very helpful guide though thanks

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:30 pm 
Valued Member

Peaslums wrote:
any hints on distinguishing between bots and real players? i was trying this and it pissed off a couple people lol. very helpful guide though thanks

And now for MARKsman7328's simple guide to determining bots on Rok Mountain:
ahem...

1) Are they Chinese?
    No - see 2
    Yes - see 3
2) Are they in a 8 person party?
    Yes - see 7
    No - see 4
3) This person is both Chinese and on Rok Mountain and is therefore a bot or was at one time.
4) Is the word 'Turk' anywhere in their name or guild name?
    Yes - see 5
    No - see 6
5) This person is a bot.
6) DoEs THeiR NaMe LOoK lIkEE ThIS?
    Yes - see 5
    No - see 7
7) This person is probably legit, whisper them and ask to find out.

Pretty simple, eh?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:37 am 
Forum Legend

nice guide lol :). me and shadow went to roc mountain to do this today :P. i got 215k + 7 tabs only tho :P. was prolly since there werent a whole lot of bots there today >.>.

something to add, u should also get to lvl 5 and do the inventory expansion quest, so u have more space (credits to shadow). another thing, try finding a nuker bot or a bowman bot. they kill faster thus gaining more drops + gold faster :)

[SD]MARKsman7328 wrote:
Peaslums wrote:

And now for MARKsman7328's simple guide to determining bots on Rok Mountain:
ahem...

1) Are they Chinese?
    No - see 2
    Yes - see 3
2) Are they in a 8 person party?
    Yes - see 7
    No - see 4
3) This person is both Chinese and on Rok Mountain and is therefore a bot or was at one time.
4) Is the word 'Turk' anywhere in their name or guild name?
    Yes - see 5
    No - see 6
5) This person is a bot.
6) DoEs THeiR NaMe LOoK lIkEE ThIS?
    Yes - see 5
    No - see 7
7) This person is probably legit, whisper them and ask to find out.

Pretty simple, eh?

well i dont agree with some of these things on the list. a chinese gridning at roc mountain doesnt have to mean they are a bot. my guildie, sanjou, trains at roc mountain and is 100% legit :).
i have seen bot parties in roc mountain. they might not be afk, but im sure they are botters.
being a turk doesnt have to mean u are a botter
crazy caps doesnt have to mean u are a botter

Let her suck my pistol
She open up her mouth and then I blow her brains out

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:03 am 

i dont tihnk i did it right.... i found 1 bot after exporing for hours....

good thing was i hated him..... yeah so i filled his monkey up with shiz.... then i waited

all that was dropping was gold and the bot himself was picking "somthing" up i didnt get to see wat it was....so did i do it right.... cuz this is slow i really want to make money :(

Level:78
Build:Warrior
Guild:SuddenDeath

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:48 pm 
Loyal Member

i would use a chinese char :S there is teleport npc in jang also and they can ress on spot also

just lvl noob to 12 for grasswalk and inventory quest and delvl back to lv 10 with 0%
then you can ress on spot and use teleport npc + grasswalk (or just a lv 10 bard)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:41 pm 
Valued Member

UnbeatableDevil wrote:
well i dont agree with some of these things on the list. a chinese gridning at roc mountain doesnt have to mean they are a bot. my guildie, sanjou, trains at roc mountain and is 100% legit :).
i have seen bot parties in roc mountain. they might not be afk, but im sure they are botters.
being a turk doesnt have to mean u are a botter
crazy caps doesnt have to mean u are a botter

ofc that isn't accurate. it was meant to be funny.i fail. :banghead:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:17 pm 
Banned User

ShiningBow wrote:
i dont tihnk i did it right.... i found 1 bot after exporing for hours....

good thing was i hated him..... yeah so i filled his monkey up with shiz.... then i waited

all that was dropping was gold and the bot himself was picking "somthing" up i didnt get to see wat it was....so did i do it right.... cuz this is slow i really want to make money :(

Same problem got like 50k in one hur cause I couldnt find many bots and couldnt see what they were picking up

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:59 pm 
Frequent Member

Quite often this doesnt work, the reason usually being:
1. The pet ignores the items you've dropped
2. the botter is babysitting
3. the bot picks up stuff.

It's an easy way to make some pocket money and get some tabs. However, don't expect to get any item drops and other valuables easily.

I had a funny happening today at Rok.. I "fed" some botter's bunny and kept grabbing some drops for a while. Apparently the botter woke up and started dropping my noob stuff around. The funny thing is that the botter's botting guildmate came and started picking up the noop items... lol.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:50 pm 
Casual Member

i don't know about everyone else, but this worked pretty well for me. i found an area with just four bots running around and picked up 2 or 3 elixers (protector and shield), a bunch of alchemy items and 10-15 tablets. all in all about 2 million in 2ish hours work. i seemed to spend a good bit of time picking up money while waiting for drops though but the giants drop about 10k each so i guess its worth it.

oh and by the way, i found that they ignored capes, but seemed to love my copper rings. Definately trying it again tonight.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:58 pm 
Banned User

OO hey your pluto too how did you find them mine sucked the pets still picked up gold and never got any item drops I got one accesory elxlir like 5 tablets and 50k in 2 hours.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:55 pm 

Sorta worked for me (I went with rings off the bat) most bots pets would pick up the rings, and I would begin getting the gold drops but apparently the botters have heard of this trick or are just on default because they themselves pick up all equip and weapons. Got a few tabs, sold for about 6k each. Made a total of 80k.

I give this plan a B+

Good for making money at low level but not time effective for anyone over lvl 40.(at least in my opinion)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:51 am 
Banned User

Lol sorry but you got ripped the tablets you get here are from my experience 50k+ each and alot of bots still dont pickup it takes a while but when you find a good one its worth it I worked on this today and I got:

like 160-180k
2 Accessory exlir
like 9 tablets
Elements!!!!

So I would say about 1m+ in all of todays work depending on how much exlir and tablets sell for.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:53 am 
Casual Member

I Pk I wrote:
OO hey your pluto too how did you find them mine sucked the pets still picked up gold and never got any item drops I got one accesory elxlir like 5 tablets and 50k in 2 hours.

i kind of got lucky when i found mine, i just ran through the middle of Rok mountain and ran into some guys running in circles and attacking anything that spawned, figured they were bots and started with them. then luckily for me, 2 more bots showed up a little later in the same area and one of them left the elixers so it was pretty nice. so it was mainly luck

edit: and 1D wrist protectors are only 310, so if you want to try to use equipment to fill the bot's inventory... i don't know if it will work or not

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:47 am 
Valued Member

Ok, so from what I have been hearing, it seems like on different servers at different times people have been having different luck. It works most of the time for me, although I will admit that occasionally I won't be able to find a good spot where the bots pick up my stuff. If that happens I will just come back later - no sense in wasting time.

As for the tablets - most jade sell for around 100k each. Certain tabs sell for alot more though. I have sold master tabs for 500k each (more than a weap elix) and int and str tabs for around 400k each. The money is in the tabs since drops are pretty rare. However, my friend got a wrist drop the other day which he sold for 2 mil in a couple of hours. It is good money for low levels (1-50ish). Also, it is pretty funny when the botter comes back to babysit and gets pissed at you. Post your favorite ss of a babysitter cussing you out below!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:36 pm 
Banned User

Lol my luck was horrible too when I found a very good bot two more people came but its ok I guess, and my best experience was when this girl's inven got full and I picked up like 10 coin drops then apparently she came back and said "pff noob" not big but best and then dropped my capes.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:43 pm 

I gave this a try too using a lv 10 Bard.
I used the lv 1 hand armor/robe/protector since they're cheaper then capes and less obvious in the pet inventory.
I did this for about 5 hours and made about 650k and got about 30 tabs.
A few elixirs only as a result of a bot being occupied with other monsters when I grabbed it, usually the bot picks up the elixirs and drops and the pet other stuff and gold.
I did notice that the drop rate is horrible for 9D; giants and party drop tabs sometimes and only seen 1 item drop in 5 hours of chasing bots.
It does not take much to fill-up a pet, took like 10-12 items and it will not pick-up anymore. Giants dropped 10-12k in gold on average and alchemy items too.
Bots invite you to all distribution party also, makes them easy to follow too.
May do it again when I get bored.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:10 pm 
Banned User

Good way to make money is low priced server and for low levels to start I will sell my 3 int tabs and make good cash xD just takes time finding a good bot

edit: I think this dosent work for all pets

edit again : Wow JAde Int tablets in my server cost 800k-1m each and I got 3 from 2 days of work thanks alot for the guide.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:42 pm 
Common Member

You did say start with 10k or so....I have all noobish char and i got a lvl 4 warlock i could use so how do i get the money to buy the capes and other stuff in order to fill those bots up??

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:54 am 
Banned User

Well get 10k then buy a full inven of either: Capes or lvl 1 armor gloves and then head to rok mountain find the bot drop them and have his pickup pet pick it up then his inven SHOULD be full and you get his drops but I think this dosent work with all pets I wont say which incase botters see this and fix it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:01 am 
Casual Member

Blindarcher6 wrote:
You did say start with 10k or so....I have all noobish char and i got a lvl 4 warlock i could use so how do i get the money to buy the capes and other stuff in order to fill those bots up??

i think most of us on here are using a second character to try this. i know i just took 100k (little much i know) from my storage with my new guy and went to town. raising 10k with a new character will probably be a pain, but good luck

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:54 pm 
Banned User

Its a pain finding exact prcie for these Tabs though =/ but I know a few botters at roc mountain now so I will make cash easier.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:01 pm 
Elite Member

Guys, I hope you know what you do to yourself, all the noobs will now start dropping capes and other stuff at roc, and the 'legits' sometimes have pick up pets too..
that's why it ain't a good idea to post a guide here, to prevent you from getting flamed ;p