Silkroad Online Forums

A community forum for the free online game Silkroad Online. Discuss Silkroad Online, read up on guides, and build your character and skills.

Faq Search Members Chat  Register Profile Login

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Have Opinions?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:29 pm 
Loyal Member

TheComedian wrote:
RogueKiller wrote:
skill is universal if you know how to judge.

"if" only everyone knew how to judge, humor and art would be universal too...

how can you judge someones skill without emitting an opinion :?:
a judgment IS an opinion...

and just because it's opinionated doesn't mean it still shouldn't be there, i mean it's just for fun. If you will not find some, or any of them funny, well then try and make one. I proposed the idea not for people to be judged on their sense of humor, or their skill but to stimulate and entertain.

No, you cannot judge humor.
Knock knock jokes may be brilliant to you. It wont be brilliant to me.
Comedian A may be funny to me. He may offend you. Humor is perspective.

Skill is universal when it comes to:
Novice
Moderate
Intermediate
Semi Pro
Professional
Every PS user falls into one of those categories. Novice being the most abundant to Professional being the scarcest.
In GFX, you dont vote based on whether you like the guy, or if he has a nice personality and the other guy is an asshole. You based on which one is closer to meeting the criteria of Professional.
In other words the person who best uses depth, color, effects, composition, lighting, creativity etc... overall without overdoing one area and under performing in other areas is the one who should get the vote.
In this case you shouldn't be giving an opinion as a judge. Your opinions only matter when your giving critique.
You vote for the best, and the most creative. Not the under dog who has no chance.
If a novice beats a pro then he wont learn anything. He wont improve and he will think he is a pro, when in fact he isn't.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:33 am 

RogueKiller wrote:
TheComedian wrote:
RogueKiller wrote:
skill is universal if you know how to judge.

"if" only everyone knew how to judge, humor and art would be universal too...

how can you judge someones skill without emitting an opinion :?:
a judgment IS an opinion...

and just because it's opinionated doesn't mean it still shouldn't be there, i mean it's just for fun. If you will not find some, or any of them funny, well then try and make one. I proposed the idea not for people to be judged on their sense of humor, or their skill but to stimulate and entertain.

No, you cannot judge humor.
Knock knock jokes may be brilliant to you. It wont be brilliant to me.
Comedian A may be funny to me. He may offend you. Humor is perspective.

Skill is universal when it comes to:
Novice
Moderate
Intermediate
Semi Pro
Professional
Every PS user falls into one of those categories. Novice being the most abundant to Professional being the scarcest.
In GFX, you dont vote based on whether you like the guy, or if he has a nice personality and the other guy is an asshole. You based on which one is closer to meeting the criteria of Professional.
In other words the person who best uses depth, color, effects, composition, lighting, creativity etc... overall without overdoing one area and under performing in other areas is the one who should get the vote.
In this case you shouldn't be giving an opinion as a judge. Your opinions only matter when your giving critique.
You vote for the best, and the most creative. Not the under dog who has no chance.
If a novice beats a pro then he wont learn anything. He wont improve and he will think he is a pro, when in fact he isn't.

how does anything you said apply to my proposal?
I got your idea, yes i agree you cannot judge humor in the same way you judge the skill, and if you let all preferences aside, like everyone should, then it becomes universal.
But what i proposed has absolutely nothing to do with what you said... I proposed that someone gives or randomly finds a picture of a person ( or thing), and we all try and make it look funny. THEN, others may just look at like 10 different funny versions of the same pic...I DID NOT, say ANYTHING about a judgment, or comparing, or skill.

So let's set aside the whole useless and endless dispute, and let me hear what you truly think about my idea?

I think it's good because:
1. it let's participate everyone, regardless of their PS skill
2. it let's the pro show off their skill, wihtout actually competing, so that new guys are stimulated to perform better
3. it may end up being funnier then you think ( set aside your political views and imagine for example 10 deformed pics of some present or past president of the US :D )
4. it good cause i say so 8)

P.S (if you want to continue arguing for the heck of it :))
I still think humor can be judge universally :D, one of that scale of universality could be : Who makes most people laugh, while offending the less people possible, is the best...but see, that's just a possibility. Just like judging PS skill can be done by comparing "what you said", or it could be judged differently.
For example, by comparing, which one best represents a subject...

the scale of judgement you proposed for the skill, is already an opinion, because what makes you think that it's THE right scale to judge skill?

IGN: Irony
Build: Wizz/Bard (march and noise only)
Guild: Illusion (Rebirth)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:03 pm 
Loyal Member

IceCrash wrote:
i also say we do something where we share techniques we know too, so overall we get better

+1

ZSZC Water - Pure Int S/S 3x
ZSZC Fire - Pure Str Bow 4x
ZSZC Fire - Pure Int Spear 4x

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:05 am 
Advanced Member

So I just want to say:
1st - Words represent something (an idea)...some terms are used in a very lose way. A "word" may mean one thing in one language, another thing entirely in another language.
Example:
-Bowl - It's a bowl
-Love - ?...Varies over a broad spectrum of diff. ideas depending on opinion.
Most words that are used are "opinion based" for example skill and how it is determined. There are always haters and 'appreciators' regardless of how "skillful" the artwork may be. To determine "skill" requires an opinion but this opinion may be greatly diff. than another person's opinion. And therefore an argument on the skill level.
2nd - [notSerious]Sure there are basic rules you follow but who cares about rules, they suck. :nowant:
lol[/notSerious]
I don't want to go in-depth otherwise I'll write a whole damn book.
--------------------------
Anyways I think we should do some hardocre :cheers: Large Piece competitions to expand a little more and try different things instead of sigs all the time

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:47 pm 
Loyal Member

Shomari wrote:
we should do some hardcore Large Piece competitions to expand a little more and try different things instead of sigs all the time

This.

Frankly i'm shocked noone even bothers with drawings, i remember posting long time ago some drawings, but sigs always got the attention, my thread died and didn't bothered posting anymore, i mean, no offense to PSers, but i can't believe that gets more attention :soosad:

Also there's 2 threads about pencil drawings right now(one mine), and they get ignored :(

Maybe we should make a drawing thread where everyone contributes with drawing of any style/kind, be it anime/fantasy/realistic, maybe that way it can attract more attention seeing that it might be a long thread with everyones contribution.
And maybe like a teaching thread too :D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:06 pm 
Advanced Member

LaloHao wrote:
And maybe like a teaching thread too :D

This could be interesting.

I wouldn't mind contributing to a drawing thread. O.o
I don't really like drawing but why not.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:26 am 
Loyal Member

Would be good if people contributed even if they're not "good", it's not a matter of being good, if you keep drawing you'll surely improve, so even if you're just starting to draw you should post :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:57 pm 
Advanced Member

I think it's more or less because some of us have no clue how to critique a drawing, we just base it off what we see.

But with sigs, atleast there are people with blown up egos and think they know what they are talking about. :P

Also, it's just a matter of starting it up. Make a thread and hope for the best.