Silkroad Online Forums

A community forum for the free online game Silkroad Online. Discuss Silkroad Online, read up on guides, and build your character and skills.

Faq Search Members Chat  Register Profile Login

All times are UTC

Post subject: [GUIDE] Poaching And You - FIRST GUIDE
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:44 am 
Hi, I'm New Here

Poaching And You
A QUICK RUNDOWN OF THE BASICS OF BOT POACHING

Brought to you by Keats

Keats is well aware of the lack of images in this tutorial, and would like to offer his apologies. He will try to update this guide with pictures as soon as he’s on a computer with SRO installed and a high-speed connection.

He would also like to point out that the lack of a viable map has led him to not remember the exact names of various locations and enemies. Sorry.

I. INTRODUCTION

There are a few things in the world that ruin experiences, such as condoms, cops, etc. But, among them all, there is one that ruins your Silk Road Online experience: botting. Everyone hates bots - they clog servers, steal kills, and generally ruin the whole community aspect of an MMO. Some believe that games would be better off without them.

Me? I see money in the making, and I’m going to show you how to get it.

Keep in mind that I do NOT condone the use of any third-party application or service that gives you an unfair advantage over other players.

What I DO condone is stealing from the bots. In a sense, you’d be discouraging their usage. Seriously, imagine yourself as a botter. You’re off in Rok Mountain having a grand old time botting. Suddenly, this character comes along and begins swindling you out of your not-so-hard-earned loot. Wouldn’t that annoy you? Now, imagine that happening non stop. I would be tempted to stop botting entirely.

Anyway, this is getting rather long-winded, so let’s move on, shall we?

II. DO’S AND DON’TS OF POACHING
Do’s
Create a new character for poaching.
Make sure this character is European.
Have another, stronger character(s) that will make use of what your poacher poaches.
Wear Robes. You’ll need the speed.
Assign Auto-Pickup to your Skill Tray.
Get a pickup pet, e.g. a cat.
Add a few friends to a party, then go poaching. You’ll get more that way. When you’re done, split the loot between you.

Don’ts
Wear armor and/or use a shield. They slow you down.
Get to Level 10 so you can buy a horse. Mobs on Rok will simply 1 hit your horse, then 1 hit you.
Go without at least 20,000 gold in your inventory. (Mainly to teleport to Samarkand and buy some Void Rondos for alchemy)
Don’t use a bot when poaching. That defeats the whole purpose. Actually, never use a bot.

III. THE METHOD
At its core, poaching is very simple and easy to pick up. At the same time, the payoff is tremendous. If you’re considering poaching, do it.

Now, before you go off gallivanting, there are a few things you need to do. For the sake of clarity, I’ve taken the liberty of detailing everything in a step-by-step format.

STEP 1 - CREATE A NEW CHARACTER

When poaching, it is important to create a new character. This is for a variety of reasons. For one, new characters (or any character that is less than Level 11) is able to resurrect themselves on the spot, and trust me, you’ll die A LOT.

When creating your character, ensure that you’ve gone European. The reason I say this is because European characters can teleport directly to Samarkand from Constantinople, whereas Chinese characters have to go from Jangan to Donhwang to Samarkand. At around 5,000 gold per trip, the difference becomes apparent.

It is also important that you set your character so it can wear Robes. Robes are important when poaching as the speed boost allows you to tail the bot more easily, and it allows you to get to the loot faster. Keep in mind that you need a full Robe set in order to get this speed bonus, so use your stronger character to supply a little startup money. I’d go with at least 20k.

STEP 2 - SUPPLYING YOURSELF

As I said before, NEVER go off without giving your poacher some money. Otherwise, you’ll have to grind until you can earn enough. By then, you’ll have probably exceeded the Level 10 mark, and you’d be screwed. Always, always, ALWAYS give your poacher at least 20k.

Anyway, once you’ve logged in, fetch your 20k from storage and find the armor trader. Buy the remaining pieces of your Robes necessary to create a full set. (Head, shoulders, and gloves.) Equip them. Next, fill up your inventory with the cheapest piece of equipment you can buy, usually the gloves. These are imperative when poaching. Now, find the grocery trader and buy some Void Rondos. (200 will be good for now.) Once you’re done, you can move on to the next step.

STEP 3 - GETTING TO ROK MOUNTAIN

Once you’ve supplied your poacher with the necessary equipment and items, you can go ahead and teleport to Samarkand. From there, exit through the West Gate, and veer toward the south. (You should now be traveling south-west). Continue on until you come to the two bridges. Cross them and continue south.

Eventually, you will reach the Airship port that will take you to Rok Mountain. Pay up, and you’ll be teleported there. From here, visit any of the peaks in the area. You’re bound to find a bot somewhere.

When you do, begin dropping your equips. If it’s really a bot, it will pick them up. If not, the legit will chastise you for thinking that he was. Anyway, continue dropping them until the bot begins to ignore them. This means that the bot’s inventory is full. Now, whenever it kills a mob, it will leave the drops (including gold) behind. If you’re lucky, the bot will never empty its inventory. If it does, simply pick the equips back up and drop them again.

Simply tail the bot, and before you know it, you’ll be rolling in mountains of gold. When you’re done poaching, use your Void Rondos to disjoint the materials you come across. These 9D elements are worth a lot. I’d recommend stalling them.

IV. CLOSING WORDS

That concludes my first ever tutorial on SRO. I think I did pretty well. If you have any comments or criticisms, don’t hesitate to post them. After all, if I don’t know what I did wrong, how could I improve?

Post subject: Re: [GUIDE] Poaching And You - FIRST GUIDE
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:00 am 
Frequent Member

It's detailed, well written, and gives us what we wants to know...it's just, I don't think many people will put this to use and actually poach.

iContagious - 81

ZSZC:
iPewPewUQQ - 63 Bower

Iris :
Star_L1ght - 59 Rogue/Warrior

Venus:
TR_ousers 57 Rogue/Bard

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:05 am 

Keats wrote:
Don’ts

Wrong. Shield does not slow you down. Infact it may even save you from dieing a lot.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:59 pm 
Hi, I'm New Here

NO_SILK_4_ME wrote:
It's detailed, well written, and gives us what we wants to know...it's just, I don't think many people will put this to use and actually poach.

Such a shame. The payoff is amazing. Anyway, thanks for the comment. Any sort of feedback is appreciated.

AnarChaos wrote:
Keats wrote:
Don’ts

Wrong. Shield does not slow you down. Infact it may even save you from dieing a lot.

Dammit. My bad.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:12 pm 
Loyal Member

Keats wrote:
When you do, begin dropping your equips. If it’s really a bot, it will pick them up. If not, the legit will chastise you for thinking that he was. Anyway, continue dropping them until the bot begins to ignore them. This means that the bot’s inventory is full. Now, whenever it kills a mob, it will leave the drops (including gold) behind. If you’re lucky, the bot will never empty its inventory. If it does, simply pick the equips back up and drop them again.

Wont work. Bots teleport to town when inventory is full.
In the end your actually paying them.
You can make money a lot faster by just grinding or even doing alchemy.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:52 pm 
Hi, I'm New Here

Depends on the bot. Some teleport back, others continue to grind.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:25 pm 
Frequent Member

All I've ever done with a lvl 10 noob is go to Roc Mtn and pick up the tablets and XL pots and gold that some of the bots leave behind.

Gotta have a page and a half of inventory for this. If you're lucky you get tablets that can stack which leaves more space for other tablets. 9d tablets are 7700 gold, a full inventory = around 450-500k per trip. Downside is that picking up the tablets takes a lot of time, maybe an hour or so. Still, 2 million for 4 hours isn't bad...but yeah, buying low and selling high probably nets you more.

Your method will still probably work, but use something cheap that the bots will pick up, like capes. I guess I don't know if each bot is configured differently to pick up equip and/or capes.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:40 am 
Veteran Member

pr0klobster wrote:
All I've ever done with a lvl 10 noob is go to Roc Mtn and pick up the tablets and XL pots and gold that some of the bots leave behind.

Gotta have a page and a half of inventory for this. If you're lucky you get tablets that can stack which leaves more space for other tablets. 9d tablets are 7700 gold, a full inventory = around 450-500k per trip. Downside is that picking up the tablets takes a lot of time, maybe an hour or so. Still, 2 million for 4 hours isn't bad...but yeah, buying low and selling high probably nets you more.

Your method will still probably work, but use something cheap that the bots will pick up, like capes. I guess I don't know if each bot is configured differently to pick up equip and/or capes.

its a good way to get starting funds though

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:42 pm 
Forum God

We've actually done this on Gaia before. It was fcking epic.

Nice guide :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:10 am 
Casual Member

Great guide, I like it(never tried poaching before, but will try after reading this)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:38 pm 
Common Member

I've tried poaching bots the same way i got nothing apparently most bots don't pick up tabs and other crap where i was so it was fun tailing this one bot...Most tabs wouldn't go unless under 350k or so in my server but i still had like a lot of them and they sold like hot cakes =)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:03 pm 
Advanced Member

Keats wrote:
In a sense, you’d be discouraging their usage. Seriously, imagine yourself as a botter. You’re off in Rok Mountain having a grand old time botting. Suddenly, this character comes along and begins swindling you out of your not-so-hard-earned loot. Wouldn’t that annoy you? Now, imagine that happening non stop. I would be tempted to stop botting entirely.

It wouldn't stop people botting. They would either, 1. move grinding spot, or 2. babysit their bot.

Retired from SRO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:44 pm 

Keats wrote:
Keats is well aware of the lack of images in this tutorial, and would like to offer his apologies. He will try to update this guide with pictures as soon as he’s on a computer with SRO installed and a high-speed connection.

He would also like to point out that the lack of a viable map has led him to not remember the exact names of various locations and enemies. Sorry.

I'm confused as to why this is in the third person...reminds me of the one Seinfeld episode.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:42 pm 
Loyal Member

EcsTasY wrote:
Keats wrote:

I'm confused as to why this is in the third person...reminds me of the one Seinfeld episode.

lmao yea. Jimmy is great at basketball. Jimmy really has the hots for Elane. Jimmy is thinking of asking Elane out.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:03 pm 
Casual Member

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news... but this isnt the first guide, its just been called caping rather than poaching

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=94883&hilit=caping+guide

still a good guide though, but if you read both, you get quite a good idea of what you should be doing

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:15 pm 
Elite Member

This is nice for when you just start at silkroad and you don't have a lot of money. If you already have some money I would rather use the 'buy low-sell high' method.