Silkroad Online Forums

A community forum for the free online game Silkroad Online. Discuss Silkroad Online, read up on guides, and build your character and skills.

Faq Search Members Chat  Register Profile Login

All times are UTC

Post subject: Guide to money making/keeping tips
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:15 pm 

I find it hard to believe that so many people are poor in this game. One thing I like about SRO than FFXI was the ease of getting money. I could go into Jangan, and easily make 100k from buying low and selling high.

Some people say to sell armors that are not +1 or Blue/SOS/etc to the merchants and then stall everything else, but I find that not entirely true. As long as I don't get booted from the game, I can stall at least 100k a night. I have had over 500k since level 14, and I am an INT player that doesn't rest while playing (lots of potions). I also have +STR on nearly all of my equipment.

They key is to plan ahead; if you see something that you will need reasonably soon for a decent price, buy it and put it in storage. It is better than reaching a level where you have to spend hours hunting for a decent weapon or armor and end up paying too much for it! Also, you could put your elixir drops to good use by making your next level weapon really nice. I did this with a level 21 +3 STR spear that I purchased at level 17.

+ Quests will knock two birds with one stone: they give you XP per kill and they will give you XP when the quest is done. The money isn't bad either. It is win/win!

+ Everyone wants the best equipment for their level, so even the regular armor will sell for at least double the store price. Make sure your stall is always full!

+ Selling Elements will make you rich, but for that reason buying elements will make you poor

+ One star trade runs will net you AT MOST 60k with a camel, not including expenses. I do them for fun, not for money. If you start trading right at level 20, you run the risk of some powerful mobs attacking your pitifully slow camel/horse, or some asshat thief who thinks spawning his NPC's on you is great fun (seriously, a one star trade is almost worthless to a high level thief, why thieve it?). Angst ridden kids love making your one star trading a nightmare in this game. :x

+ Stall, stall, and stall some more. No danger of thieves and more money. Leave the game up while you sleep with your stall open.

+ Profit 8)

EDITED

Last edited by solidsnake on Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: A few money making/keeping tips
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:15 pm 
Ex-Staff

solidsnake wrote:
DO NOT UPGRADE NON-BLUE/+1 EQUIPMENT!!! Do not waste elixirs on weapons that are not already Blue or +1/SOS/etc. Money is made by using elixirs on equipment that is already good. Upgrade SOS items whenever possible, because a +2 SOS item will sell for more than a +1 SOS item. Also, using an alchemy stone on an item without Steady/Immortal/Lucky is very risky.

+ Do NOT use an elixir without a lucky powder. It is an investment! On my server weapon elixirs go for 180-200k, it would be pure insanity to try an upgrade without a lucky powder. I haven't lost an elixir while using a powder yet, but I HAVE lost an elixir while not using one. :oops:

+ Not all tablets are worth using! Tablets that increase fire/ice/cold/barf resistance are generally worthless in my opinion, so I mechant them out whenever possible.

+ Keep your inventory as clear as possible. I have found that I get a higher drop rate when my inventory is empty than when it is full. I only carry Pots, my weapon(s), quest items, scrolls (horse/return), and perhaps some equipment if I am close to leveling up. This way, I can grab all the alchemy/tablet/elixir drops I can, and save plenty of room for equipment drops as well. I feel bad for any archers out there, because carrying around arrows is a real waste of space, I stopped using my bow for this reason. Archers may want to buy the 1000 arrow stack from the item mall if they want to avoid this.

I'm going to disagree with these. Upgrade anything that you will be using for a while. This may be farming gear or higher levle gear. it makes a big difference over time. Also steady and immortal are irrelavant on anything under +4.

lucky powder HELPs increase chances of success, it is by no means a guarantee, also accessory elixirs and shield elixirs are pretty cheap, using a lucky powder to get them to +1 isn't always cost effective.

Tablets for reducing fire/COLD/ lightnig and zombie are wonderful for PVP or dealing with a monster that uses that element, ESPECIALLY cold in your 50's. There is a reason jewelry with freezze reduce sell for so much, it's worth it.

That last paragraph is just plain utter bullshit. Purely speculation. Drops are random, there is no secreet, not arrange points, not time of day, not inventory size, and not a certain spot on the map.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:37 pm 

Edited based on hellsharpt's very polite and constructive criticism. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:47 pm 
Advanced Member

nice guide its a shame ive done all these things since lvl 1 and im still poor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:46 pm 

XuChu wrote:
nice guide its a shame ive done all these things since lvl 1 and im still poor

While that may be true, what you choose to spend your money on after you acquire it is, of course, your own business. :D

The important thing is your ability to earn it back quickly.

The best gear, pets, stones, elements, guild creation/promotion, failed trade runs, failed alchemy, helping your friends, these will all quickly sap away any money you had, and it compounds when you get higher in level, as you no doubt understand. :wink:

Promoting a guild to level 2 costs 3 million gold. :shock: :banghead:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:37 pm 
Loyal Member

Quote:
I am an INT player that doesn't rest while playing (lots of potions).

And anyone who does should uninstall the game, then sit down.

Quote:
They key is to plan ahead; if you see something that you will need reasonably soon for a decent price, buy it and put it in storage.

Uhh there are limits, I didn't buy my 64 gear till 63, and passed up what were some good deals at the time. Things get cheaper .

Quote:
I did this with a level 21 +3 STR spear that I purchased at level 17.

Grats...with a ticket that we will be useful for about 3-6 hours at most? NJ putting 600k down the drain.

The real key to money is stalling drops =D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:06 am 

Quote:

I'll have to disagree with this. I rarely get good drops. Even after slaying 4 giants in 20min, the only drop I got was garment legs....white.
I only got a lvl 9 armor shoulder SoM +2Str with my previous character and no one would buy it for more than 90-100k

As you can understand, I can't make a good profit solely on universal pills and arrows. That leaves only elements, but that takes quite a while.

The hard thing is to get the first 400-500k, cause your best deals are blue items [unless of course you have a SoX drop or a very good deal].

After that, the profit margins increase significantly and you can make more than a million in a night.
For example: bought a SoS blade @ 450k and sold it for 1m; SoS armor and garment [chests] @ 180k each and sold for 400k each

The trick is to find good deals and price the goods reasonably high :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:17 am 
Loyal Member

Lodbrok wrote:
Quote:

I'll have to disagree with this. I rarely get good drops. Even after slaying 4 giants in 20min, the only drop I got was garment legs....white.
I only got a lvl 9 armor shoulder SoM +2Str with my previous character and no one would buy it for more than 90-100k

As you can understand, I can't make a good profit solely on universal pills and arrows. That leaves only elements, but that takes quite a while.

The hard thing is to get the first 400-500k, cause your best deals are blue items [unless of course you have a SoX drop or a very good deal].

After that, the profit margins increase significantly and you can make more than a million in a night.
For example: bought a SoS blade @ 450k and sold it for 1m; SoS armor and garment [chests] @ 180k each and sold for 400k each

Rofl. You will learn when you get to a real lvl that selling universal pills = useless. At the cap some days you get several drops, some days none, it takes time to sell them. Elements and stones can work well too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:08 pm 

chaud wrote:
Lodbrok wrote:
Quote:

Rofl. You will learn when you get to a real lvl that selling universal pills = useless. At the cap some days you get several drops, some days none, it takes time to sell them. Elements and stones can work well too.

That's what I'm saying. Stalling universal pills, is a total waste of time. I just mentioned them cause they are the only drops I get along with arrows :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:35 pm 

chaud wrote:
Quote:

Grats...with a ticket that we will be useful for about 3-6 hours at most? NJ putting 600k down the drain.

Who said I used a ticket? I only used 1 elixir to make it +3 from 2. I was adding other things to it like +INT and parry ratio.

You assume too much chaud :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:26 am 

quite honestly reinvestment is everything..... save and scrimp to get the capital necessary to buy sos items/elements/elixirs at a little lower than normal price, then resell them at their market value, the drops you get will help u get the initial money to actually be a dealer in high-end items. the high-end items though take a lot of time to sell so pick your tradeoffs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:28 pm 
Loyal Member

solidsnake wrote:
chaud wrote:
Quote:

Who said I used a ticket? I only used 1 elixir to make it +3 from 2. I was adding other things to it like +INT and parry ratio.

You assume too much chaud :roll:

Okay, you still spent money on something you will use at the most for a few days...Doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

Post subject: Re: A few money making/keeping tips
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:19 am 
Hi, I'm New Here

solidsnake wrote:
I could go into Jangan, and easily make 100k from buying low and selling high.

Yes , but if everyone starts to try to buy low and sell high no-one would be able to do it. Its all up to the seller, if he/she sells low, then your guaranteed to make money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:48 pm 

buy low sell high on sos....tats wat some of my guildmates did and they make mill after mill cuz chances are there is some desperate dude wantin the sos.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:44 pm 
Loyal Member

billgeta wrote:
buy low sell high on sos....tats wat some of my guildmates did and they make mill after mill cuz chances are there is some desperate dude wantin the sos.

and thats why people cant afford good stuff and have to result in bots.
yeah, heres how u can make money....buy gold. face it....an average player cant get an SOS their level without it anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:39 am 
Common Member

I didnt buy gold for my 3 full SoS sets and nice weapons while lvling my guild. You just need to play smart, thats all. Dont buy shit you dont need or ever use. Last thing, DONT SELL YOUR WEAPON ELIXIRS (useless you totally need the cash) because you will need to use it at later lvls (+++ fails all the most of the time)

Some people dont think grinding is very fun all the time (eventhough thats what im doing on my new build =D)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:10 pm 
Casual Member

Let me throw my .02 in..

I'm currently level 24, and in my time I have made over 10 million (that I can recall). Here's how.

First things first.. no matter WHERE I'M GOING, if there's a gold drop laying there, I WILL PICK IT UP. It's alot easier now with a monkey, but still, I get them ALL.

Pick up EVERY SINGLE DROP. Do the quest to extend your inventory, get a monkey, do whatever.. but just get 'em. I can't tell you how many times I've picked up fantastic items from people who have left them laying there..

STALL YOUR ITEMS! Stalling is fantastic. I sell everything I get that I don't use, and have never had a problem getting it to move in even so much as an overnight stall session.

DROPS CAN SAVE YOU MONEY! HP/MP/Vigor/etc can all save you money. If you have the spare inventory, keep 'em on you and use 'em. It saves you from having to buy them.

Shop wisely. Just because you have money, doesn't mean you need to spend it. That's all that needs to be said.

Specialty stalls are a goldmine too. In my teen levels, I used to take a break from the grind and go buy some horses, arrows, pots, etc, then run over to the tomb and setup stall in the archway. I priced my items a little above store cost, and would sell all day long, left and right. There's other places too.. it's just all about how you want to do it.

Any further tips I come up with, I'll share.. but those are the basics to my success. In the end, it's buy low/sell high, save, and take the extra time to insure profit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:43 pm 
Hi, I'm New Here

the way i save my money is:
just go leveling,
from the money you're getting from the quests and leveling, buy pots from that. The money that you have then, put in storage
then you have your drops (protector/weapon drops) stall that when you go asleep. the day after; put the stall money in ur storage and ur rich! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:17 pm 

I don't think selling normal drops works. I got 6 swords in my storage that were drops and I haven't sold them yet. The secret it to sell everything that has special stats to players and everything else to NPC. That way, you won't waste time selling your crap. And you can use that time more wisely, such as going grinding. Like some said, the trick is to buy something for low and sell it for high. And NEVER buy expensive stuff like SOS for full price. I had 600k and a sos blade I could've sold for 2mil. But I was using it. I wanted to buy a wolf, but I didn't want to spend my blade for it. So instead, I got a wolf for a lvl 19 SOS helmet I didn't need anymore, and 350k. The reason I got it for this price was because the helmet was perfect for the person who was selling the wolf. PM people with the same armor as you want to sell, which would mean the armor you want to sell is perfect for them, and you can sell it for more. =D

Sorry if this is confusing...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:35 am 

in theory making money sounds simple, but for players such as myself its not as easy as it sounds..

now in most cases answers to gaining money is get a monkey/squirrel...now i'm just not into spending my "REAL" money into virtual items yet, and starting out in this game was made all the hard due to players with these animals, i've seen players just stand around while there animals rob regular-lower level players blind,sure it's good fun and gets great rewards for the player doing this but the little guy suffers in the long run and when you weigh up ,pots,equipment,repairs and horses/specials etc etc mob money barely covers these expenses let alone only getting half of it due to monkeys.

other say quests are the key to getting money and exp killing one bird with two stones right,but when you've got little money and depending on build completing quests can prove near impossbile

i've got a guild member who is a pure int bow user, she just put all her money into getting a wolf, like we all want when we first start out :roll: ,now shes lvl26 pure int has no money for pots and the wolf costs her more in life grass than the mobs drop - keep in mind she has no money to trade with, next to nothing but what she uses to sell and a now dead lvl-7 wolf : how can anyone in this stituation make money?
(and she is in the middle of a quest to get money and unable too)

and thats what most of lower level players are like too,now you could say its there own fault right, and why should we care, but when you look at how many high level theives are using there npc theives to jack 1* runs you'll see and know why not many player are making money..

stalling isn't always a good and sure to make money,not every player has the luxury of being able to stall overnight meaning pricing lower has to be done in order to even sell items,

i'd say for the most part elements is the only really even ground for all players to make serious money.

thats just my thoughts :wink:

B- "What do you mean?"
L- "Integrity left, she took trust and respect with her."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:57 pm 

YourWorstNightmare wrote:
I don't think selling normal drops works. I got 6 swords in my storage that were drops and I haven't sold them yet. The secret it to sell everything that has special stats to players and everything else to NPC. That way, you won't waste time selling your crap. And you can use that time more wisely, such as going grinding. Like some said, the trick is to buy something for low and sell it for high. And NEVER buy expensive stuff like SOS for full price. I had 600k and a sos blade I could've sold for 2mil. But I was using it. I wanted to buy a wolf, but I didn't want to spend my blade for it. So instead, I got a wolf for a lvl 19 SOS helmet I didn't need anymore, and 350k. The reason I got it for this price was because the helmet was perfect for the person who was selling the wolf. PM people with the same armor as you want to sell, which would mean the armor you want to sell is perfect for them, and you can sell it for more. =D

Sorry if this is confusing...

Makes sense. One thing I'll add though, I tend to not NPC weapons and other equipment that doesn't have stats (blue, +, etc.) Instead, I destroyer rhondo it into elements. I find that the elements created sell at a higher cost than what you'd get out of selling the "normal" items to an NPC.

Stalling is great too, but lately I'm having a hard time selling blue and + items in my stall. I usually sell them a bit more expensive, but lately, I just price them double the "store purchase price" and add about 1k per blue (maybe) and about 5k - 10k for each +. Sometimes I'll even ignore the blues and + and simply double the store price... and they STILL DON"T SELL... at least lately anyway. :banghead:

SRO:
1x, STR Blader (Thebes)
54, STR blader (Venice)
0x, INT wizard (Venice)
19, INT spear (Venice)
34, STR rogue/bard (Venus)
0x, STR blader (Venus)
8x, INT bard/cleric (Gaia)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:14 am 
Hi, I'm New Here

Having more then 4 computers helps your stalling :P
Yea i had 2 mil when i was lvl 16
But i farmed with 9 lvl gap and found 3 SOS
Changing the "Auto Grab" whateva buton to space or mouse button makes picking up faster... that doesnt make more money but it helps leveling (wrong guide?)
The price of the elements is surprisingly high but you rarely see that since the cheapest elements sell too fast :P
And some of the higher prices are too high to sell
Cant say anything about the wolf selling only using one wolf
And for low level people selling your +1 or +2 (+50%) weapons for 100k~
is worth the shot
Sold a lvl 16 sword+3 dmg(+21%) for 195k :P
But then again what do i know ? NOTHING ! im just a 2X newbie with too much free time

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:55 am 

One good way is not to waste money and elixirs in weapons/armor in low lvls until lvl 42 xD or 6 degree , when the hard time begins
Because is so fast, in a good day u can reach lvl 20 from 1.
And there is no reason to waste 1 Millon in a 26 lvl +5+6 weapon
Unless you are a very rich guy and want to lvl in the fastest posible way.

PD : Sry for my english.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:36 pm 
Common Member

yeah a pick up every gold you get no matter how small..it all adds up..

Level: 2x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:01 pm 
Hi, I'm New Here

farm and delvl. dont like to stall cuz it seems like i can play witch is so much better.I got up to round 40 mil at lvl 34. but spent it all on sos and dragon flags got 10 flags O.o but found one boo :banghead:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:15 am 

The Key to making gold is what I call Gold Farming (Non bot style) Kill green mobs that hit u for really low maybe 4 lvls lower (Or osmething u can 1 shot if ur a nuker) The gold drop is slightly lower than a gray but u will kill them easier thus using less pots per kill... Save money on pots, kill more = more chance of drops = sell drops= more money= less money on armor/garm repairs and repots

Not a good source of lelveing though... but GOLD!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:09 am 

the easiest way is most definitely buying relatively cheap sox items and then perhaps spending a little money to mod them and then resell for more. to do this youre going to want to have lots of money in the first place though because it will cut into grinding time if you have no potion money till you sell an item. so the hardest thing is saving money as a noob. My best advice for this is always pick up your gold if you dont have a monkey and dont buy any items besides a weapon till you get into the 2x range because i remember i saved all my gold and didnt upgrade armor ever because eventually i found all the pieces i needed as drops. In fact i didnt use auto pot until i got to demon horses or something to save alot of cash because as a noob u dont need it because you barely get damaged. once you hit the 20s try to trade alot with a higher level friend. Poppers that arent homosexual wont bother most traders who are below level 30. once u get a few mil u can start looking for good sox deals and maybe + them or add blues and resell for profit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:21 am 
Hi, I'm New Here

I find that since I'm constantly leveling and questing, my inventory fills up with drops quickly. I throw everything into storage until it's time to be AFK and that's when I open my stall. And, depending on my mood, I sell everything including non-blue items, because even non-blue drops are better than equipment you can buy from the stores. (And therefore, can be priced higher!) Of course, if I'm particularly lazy, I just sell to merchants. And I think I've just been lucky with my jewel box rewards, because I've always had over a million since my teens.

I guess I can see how others get so poor so fast, since I don't feel I ever buy anything. I also never let my money drop below 2 mil. I figure that will be my safe line for now, at least until I get higher. I'm so cheap... :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:59 pm 

I have to agree with shaolin00's statement

No matter what happens, I cant go out without pots, its so bad that I thought that a pure strength must have the advantage which obviously, they do not, just different pots.

A FREE game shouldn't be Blow your cash on virtual items so you can rock!

As for thieves harassing low levels, well n00bs have to do something too once they get better on Dad's credit card.

But any way I'll refrain the blame game... but from personal experience. I can stay out till I make about 30-40k just from gold drops. But when I get into town, repairs, pots and arrows dissolve that quickly, then its time to scope the sellers and see what junk they are selling so I can better the junk that I have, spending about another 30-50k that I have in storage, its back to the grind, wash, rinse, repeat.

I'd sell the lower level stuff that I do have for its better than whats out there usually, but I am never sure about making a new character and trying something different.

So could you please stop selling level 1-5 items in the 100 of thousands!
Geez... I have to laugh when I see regular, non blue items level 1-5 selling even at 30k, Who has that kind of money at that level!?

For people that like to buy low sell high, understandable just remember, there are people out there that do not have ebay/item mall frenzies when they are stumped.

Don't get me wrong, this is a great game even though the grind as with all prior games are boring and annoying... especially when you attract a mob of 5+ orange peeps and someone decides to send Fluffy, Nutzy or Bonzo over to swipe your hard kills loot while you are struggling to survive... I understand though, just part of the game, but still annoying.

So any way, this session has been good for me, coffee and stale donuts provided by your local supermarket are available in the back lets all group hug and get the tissues!

*End useless Rant* :x :banghead: :? :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:43 am 

Avenqer wrote:
A FREE game shouldn't be Blow your cash on virtual items so you can rock!

Then how else is JoyMax suppose to get their money?
Donations? No. So, they make money off from making up premium items, which supposedly gives the player more out of Silkroad Online.

About potions, you aren't necessarily required them to grind. During my early levels, I was poor, I've experience it. But, what do you do when you don't have the gold to buy potions? You sit down and recover magic points and health points the old fashion way, by pushing n! Or, hopefully you find some herbs on the ground.

I never really used potions until I was like level 22.