Silkroad Online Forums

A community forum for the free online game Silkroad Online. Discuss Silkroad Online, read up on guides, and build your character and skills.

Faq Search Members Chat  Register Profile Login

All times are UTC

Weed?
I have tried weed 31%  31%  [ 26 ]
I smoke weed regularly 23%  23%  [ 19 ]
I have never smoked weed 46%  46%  [ 38 ]
Total votes : 83
 Post subject: Weed
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:09 am 
Elite Member

I'm Dutch but I'm living in Norway atm. Weed is legal in the Netherlands and not in Norway. I always figured that legality was more of a formality for most of the countries, but apparently I was mistaken. In my school of around a hundred students I only know of 3 people that have ever tried it. In Norway (generalizing) they really look at weed like something terrible, and I was really surprised.
It made me think about weed and the opinions of it in the world. How do you guys look at weed and how does your country look at it?

Added poll for some statistics.

<< :giveup:>>

Post subject: Re: Weed
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:17 am 
Loyal Member

My country (the US) has it illegalized, and in my school (high school), I would say like 60% of kids have at least tried it, and probably 25-35% use it regularly. Surprising because my public high school is one of the highest rated scores-wise, but it's crazy how many kids use it. I hate that stuff, never tried it, don't plan on trying it, all of my friends who use it a lot get really messed up from it, because it makes them try more and more things, and brings them into that whole world.
However I feel that in different areas of the nation, opinions are REALLY differing, like I'm from the northeast, in a suburb, so it would be different than a rural area in the midwest.

ZSZC Water - Pure Int S/S 3x
ZSZC Fire - Pure Str Bow 4x
ZSZC Fire - Pure Int Spear 4x

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:18 am 
Veteran Member

Watse.. I dont need marijuana to feel good.
Plus, you have to pay for it, and wouldnt that get expensive..?

SRO Salvation:
VietB
Vietx

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:28 am 
Forum Legend

it's not as bad as most people think, but it's still a drug, so you can get addicted to it. I've smoked marihuana for a year on a regular basis and I've never let it influence my life in any way. still doing good at school, still going out with friends and never felt as if I needed weed just to feel good. but it's relaxed when you're with friend watching a movie etc and than smoke a joint together. I've quit now, because I don't have enough money right now to be able to spend it on weed, got other things that are more important.

everyone that has ever smoked a joint will tell you that it's not as bad or as scary as many people think. it's just a plant; you smoke it, you feel a bit high and that's it. it doesn't f*ck your mind up like coke, xtc or speed. those are hardcore drugs that make you forget who you are and make you act like a total idiot.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:32 am 
Loyal Member

heroo wrote:
it's not as bad as most people think, but it's still a drug, so you can get addicted to it. I've smoked marihuana for a year on a regular basis and I've never let it influence my life in any way. still doing good at school, still going out with friends and never felt as if I needed weed just to feel good. but it's relaxed when you're with friend watching a movie etc and than smoke a joint together. I've quit now, because I don't have enough money right now to be able to spend it on weed, got other things that are more important.

everyone that has ever smoked a joint will tell you that it's not as bad or as scary as many people think. it's just a plant; you smoke it, you feel a bit high and that's it. it doesn't f*ck your mind up like coke, xtc or speed. those are hardcore drugs that make you forget who you are and make you act like a total idiot.

Yeah you're probably right about that stuff. But you would be surprised how many high-school aged kids let something as meaningless as weed basically ruin his or her life...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:35 am 
Advanced Member

No reason for it to be illegal. (Other than greed).
It's whatever. not dangerous, not amazing. Overhyped.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:39 am 
Advanced Member

McLovin1t wrote:
I hate that stuff, never tried it

At first I thought "Cool, unbiased," then I read "never tried it." :palm:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:43 am 
Common Member

My country is made up of all sorts of people. Some are for it, some against, and some don't care either way. One thing I do know is a lot of people in Melbourne smoke weed. :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:45 am 
Loyal Member

Kraq wrote:
McLovin1t wrote:
I hate that stuff, never tried it

At first I thought "Cool, unbiased," then I read "never tried it." :palm:

Clearly you are misunderstanding my statement then. I didn't mean I hate it as in the feeling you get or whatever, but what it does to some people I know is really, really awful. I know it's not necessarily the weed or whatever, but it has some negative effects on some people.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:50 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

I smoke at about the same frequency that I drink, if not more so. Among my peers it's about equal to a drink. Some people just prefer smoking as you don't feel sick after, it's less dangerous, cheaper, and after a couple hours you're back to normal.

Before the QQ about it's less dangerous: think about the stories about people getting tattoos, blacking out, or doing dangerous things in general. These always happen while drinking or doing other (usually chemical) drugs.

McLovin1t wrote:
But you would be surprised how many high-school aged kids let something as meaningless as weed basically ruin his or her life...

I can say with absolute 100% certainty that it would not surprise me. When I was in high school I hung out with and was one of "those guys".

There are two kinds of people:

(1) The ones that grow up without dependence on drugs and like to smoke a joint with their friends on weekends

(2) The ones that drop out of school, get a girl pregnant, die/go to jail.

For the people in the second category, it doesn't matter if weed is involved or not. All of the ones I knew like that had deeper issues and turned to drugs/alcohol/cutting/etc. for treatment.

It's not like Marijuana is a gateway drug or the reason these people turn out badly. It's that all of these people have tried Marijuana. The commercials you see on TV do not speak about the majority.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:02 am 
Loyal Member

I totally agree it's less dangerous lol, but with irresponsible kids, it really brings them into a new 'world' with drinking heavily, and even doing worse drugs. In my school, xanax, heroine, and even cocaine are becoming a bigger problem each year

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:11 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

McLovin1t wrote:
I totally agree it's less dangerous lol, but with irresponsible kids, it really brings them into a new 'world' with drinking heavily, and even doing worse drugs. In my school, xanax, heroine, and even cocaine are becoming a bigger problem each year

Kids will always be irresponsible until they encounter the new 'world' of heavy drinking and drugs. That's what growing up
is about.

No one is an adult until they have had that morning they swore they would never drink again.

And what does xanax, heroin, and cocaine of to do with pot?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:17 am 
Forum Legend

Every single friend I have smoke it. I understand that in some cases it can lead to a whole other level of drug but it seems so harmless. These friends have a normal life, get good grades,etc. As for myself, I do it rarely.

Then again, I think most people know the boundaries. I know in my town, people will smoke weed, do shrooms and possibly acid but they won't go further unless they are really hooked to the whole drug thing.

ExSoldier/Skyve/Loki

what is life even

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:31 am 

Weed is meh, looked down upon for the wrong reasons. I smoke on occasion with friends, but never alone.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:50 am 
Forum Legend

is weed in canada legal or something or do most canadian youngsters smoke it?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:55 am 

I barely smoke weed. I neither love it nor dislike it. I'll smoke it if you offer a hit (unless I know I might get drug tested soon) but I won't go out of my way to score some. Makes me just as happy when I drink and that's all that matters. As far as other drugs go, I really believe it's up to people what they want to do with their lives. If they know their limit, then good for them, if not, it's their life. As for those ignorant self-righteous ones who impose their high horse morality bullshit on other people, they can drop dead.

I don't think I smoke weed regularly. Kinda falls between choices 1 and 2 but closer to the first one. More like "I smoke weed sometimes" =/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:18 am 
Dom's Slut

heroo wrote:

Not legal, comes from BC.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:36 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

CrimsonNuker wrote:
heroo wrote:

In our region, if its not province grown its most likely from Quebec. And I do have to admit that I like it from Quebec better than BC. It's more... artisanal?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:09 am 
Forum Legend

what's BC lol?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:23 am 
Loyal Member

dom wrote:
McLovin1t wrote:

Kids will always be irresponsible until they encounter the new 'world' of heavy drinking and drugs. That's what growing up
is about.

No one is an adult until they have had that morning they swore they would never drink again.

All I'm saying is that when kids try weed, those are the ones who try the heavier drugs, bring them to our school etc. Weed clearly doesn't cause it, but it is very highly associated with more drugs abuse. And a lot of people who abuse it don't have the responsibility to get over it, or use it responsibly, so it in that sense causes people to get more and more into using more and more different drugs/drinking.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:51 am 
Forum Legend

dom wrote:
CrimsonNuker wrote:
heroo wrote:

In our region, if its not province grown its most likely from Quebec. And I do have to admit that I like it from Quebec better than BC. It's more... artisanal?

I keep hearing B.C is better in general. I'll have to test it when I head back to meet my friends :) Miss Laval :(

heroo wrote:
what's BC lol?

British Colombia, a province in Canada. Noob :x

ExSoldier/Skyve/Loki

what is life even

Last edited by Skyve on Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:53 am 

i smoke J's and i get A's.

just sayin'

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:53 am 
Advanced Member

McLovin1t wrote:
dom wrote:
McLovin1t wrote:

is about.

All I'm saying is that when kids try weed, those are the ones who try the heavier drugs, bring them to our school etc. Weed clearly doesn't cause it, but it is very highly associated with more drugs abuse. And a lot of people who abuse it don't have the responsibility to get over it, or use it responsibly, so it in that sense causes people to get more and more into using more and more different drugs/drinking.

You're saying all potheads are bad. No.
There are a majority of potheads who do bad things, but that is not to say all are bad.

I know plenty of potheads who are great people and get in trouble as much as the average non-smoker.
I even know people who take oxycodone and get better grades than I do.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:54 am 
Forum Legend

Seji wrote:
i smoke J's and i get A's.

just sayin'

Nice rhyme bro.

ExSoldier/Skyve/Loki

what is life even

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:14 am 
Loyal Member

Shomari wrote:
There are a majority of potheads who do bad things, but that is not to say all are bad.

I know plenty of potheads who are great people and get in trouble as much as the average non-smoker.

Clearly you are misunderstanding my argument, which I don't get because I said it about 5 times on this same thread. I didn't say all potheads were bad, nor did I say that pot in itself was a horrible thing. All I am saying is that when teenagers and high schoolers use pot, a large majority of the irresponsible ones turn to drinking and other drugs, and weed usually introduces them into that sort of world, albeit it may or MAY NOT cause it, it sure does correlate. Please don't pull a straw man!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:19 am 
Advanced Member

McLovin1t wrote:
Shomari wrote:

Clearly you are misunderstanding my argument, which I don't get because I said it about 5 times on this same thread. I didn't say all potheads were bad, nor did I say that pot in itself was a horrible thing. All I am saying is that when teenagers and high schoolers use pot, a large majority of the irresponsible ones turn to drinking and other drugs, and weed usually introduces them into that sort of world, albeit it may or MAY NOT cause it, it sure does correlate. Please don't pull a straw man!

Weed is not a gate drug.

Weak argument is weak.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:31 am 

^its not wise to make definite claims like that when it comes to social issues like weed use. It's just common sense that weed use can affect use of other drugs like alcohol and more serious things like heroine because say, for example, some weed users might become interested in doing other kinds of drugs because they thought weed was cool and maybe crack would be fun too.

Sociology and psychology is not an exact science. The chance that X will cause Y is there if you approach the subject with logic and common sense. I will bet $100 you out of the thousands of crack addicts in America, at least one fucked his life up because weed led to crack. As I said before, you can't just straight up claim "yes it does" or "no it doesn't" on something like this. This is why you cannot say that opponents of weed are totally wrong.

Last edited by Jstar1 on Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:34 am 
Loyal Member

Shomari wrote:
McLovin1t wrote:
Shomari wrote:

Weed is not a gate drug.

Weak argument is weak.

Misunderstandings are misunderstandings?
It's not a gate way drug per say, however one would be in denial if he/she claimed that marijuana users wouldn't be more inclined to heavy drinking, or using more dangerous drugs like xanax. Like I explained, it may not cause them to use it, however there are very high associations. One doesn't need to prove causation to maintain an effective argument.
Baseline: Teens who use weed may lack the responsibility to control themselves (NOT EVERYONE LIKE YOU ASSUME I SAID), which may lead to the use of more dangerous drugs, puts them into the 'world' of drugs (at least in high school this is 100% true), and generally leads to more drinking.
And ^^ to JStar1, that's exactly what I'm saying, thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:40 am 
Loyal Member

I'm mainly indifferent about it, though I really don't like the smell ...lol

I probably won't ever try it, willingly, as well... just solely due to some family instances with harsher drugs, not from the j, itself; my father was a coke head, uncle was on heroin, and my older bro was hooked on meth.

The whole seeing what it did to them, kind of put me off ever wanting to experiment with any form of drugs (besides the one keeping me alive).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:05 am 
Elite Member

I see the act of smoking it as being a gateway drug. Actually smoking it isn't what makes people want to try new drugs. From what I've seen and experienced, it's the groups that people hangout with when they smoke that leads them to try new stuff.

That's what I think anyway.