Silkroad Online Forums

A community forum for the free online game Silkroad Online. Discuss Silkroad Online, read up on guides, and build your character and skills.

Faq Search Members Chat  Register Profile Login

All times are UTC

Post subject: not getting scammed + more stable currency
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:18 pm 

this is not really a topic about a question, it's more of a plea to make trading over a bill a bit smarter.

the best tip you can give anyone is to not buy stuff over a bill. but blood flows where it shouldnt so there is a smarter way to deal with this stuff. HOWEVER, it needs more acceptance to really work flawless and make the currency flow freely. That's why i write this topic, the system only has pro's really. let me explain.

the new currency of choice should be.... silk items....

let me explain why:
ill start with 2 examples how gold isnt a really good currency in SRO, yeah i know, that's kinda f*cked up. i'll use some goldbot company example in this to show why gold isnt a good currency,, not to condone the shit (and yeah, i will use fictive prices because i dont really know the prices of gold, it's just about the working of supply and demand).

new server
1 gold = 1 gold
grinding gets you 2 mil to lvl X (example)

$5 = 1 mil
price of high end stuff $1

$1 = 200k

you can buy 10 high end stuff thingies with ur gold = you happy

old server

1 gold = 1 gold

$5 = 10 mil

$1 = 2 mil

you can buy 1 high end stuff thingies with ur gold = you are a poor sucker

- -
as you can see on old servers you are more of less forced to buy gold to buy the same 10 high end stuffs. you are getting f*cked by a goldbot company...

but now we add silk items in the acquision!

- - -
new server
1 gold = 1 gold

$5 = 1 mil

$1 = 200k

silk (silk prices are directly linked to gold prices because for both you pay $)
magic pop = 10 silk
10 silk = 2m (EXAMPLE)

old server

1 gold = 1 gold

$5 = 10 mil

$1 = 2 mil

silk (silk prices are directly linked to gold prices because for both you pay $)
magic pop = 10 silk
10 silk = 20m (EXAMPLE)

- - -
you can store the pops if you want to use them later. AND IF IT'S AN ACCEPTED CURRENCY IT ISNT HARD TO CASH THEM IN TO GOLD WHEN YOU WANT (but there wont be much use for that because you can easely get enough gold for repotting....)

this will put goldbot companies out of their game because there will be no real need for more gold because everyone has sufficient gold to repot + you can buy items with silk items..... if you for example buy something worth 13 magic pops you can put a dress for that etc.

all trading based on silk prices.

trading with the new system can work as followed:
servers need a sort of gold / silk conversion average (i can't give em for all servers but for azteca it is somewhere between 1.4 and 1.7m for 1 silk)

so, a staff worth 1.7 bil = 1000 silk
1000 silk = 100 magic pops (which cant be traded ofc)

but....

gold prem = 290 silk.
dress = 130 silk.

1000 silk = 3 gold premiums.... + 1 dress (or grabpet (but those clocks expire so dresses are really better currency))

- - -
stuff stated above is directly beneficial for people who trade with silk items....

however there are more beneficial side effects.

1. more silk will be bought = joymax gets more money = (hopefully) a better game
2. less need for gold (since there is a better substitute) = LESS GOLDBOTS!!!!! = better game play?!!!

the only risk (which is temporarely) is that you have to do more effort to sell the silk items if you want to get gold for them.

this concept is based on the hat trading business in Team fortress 2. for people who have played that game and traded hats this might be an usefull reference for how it would work in SRO....

i'm kinda sucky in english and kinda sucky in explaining,, if someone can make this concept easier to understand that would be great... this would really work like a charm..... we can get goldbots out of this game, user-based! (since it's pretty obvious JM isnt going to do anything about it)

first off we really need an easy to understand guide. after that we need some translations and a short domain which can be globalled in all servers to get some notion of this concept... this could really work...

what you guys think?

Post subject: Re: not getting scammed + more stable currency
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:10 pm 
Addicted Member

So to avoid getting scammed :

Trade the +1 billion items with items that are worth silk currency , like on some "old" servers , the premium plus is worth a billion and silk is like : 1 silk = 3-4 millions .

Anyway silk items won't drop in price for a long time .

But still didn't find out how is that supposed to decrease goldbots .

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:53 pm 

The Invisible wrote:
So to avoid getting scammed :

Trade the +1 billion items with items that are worth silk currency , like on some "old" servers , the premium plus is worth a billion and silk is like : 1 silk = 3-4 millions .

Anyway silk items won't drop in price for a long time .

But still didn't find out how is that supposed to decrease goldbots .

ok,

goldbots are there to collect gold, more gold then they use themselfs for repot and stuff. gold to sell. if there arent any buyers for their gold there is no reason to goldbot for more gold than you use.

instead of gold the most trading will be in silk items when it's more accepted. prices of gold will drop because there will be more supply than demand. (everyone has spare gold they dont use, i have 70m at lvl 52, yeah i walk around in NPC stuff and tier drops i get (accepted for weapons, i buy those 2 and 3 tier via consig)) so there will be more supply then demand because people will ask 2 pops instead of 20m for their d6 sos... or 2 pops and a few globals? that currency is way more stabile so to protect yourself you want to have silk stuff instead of gold. gold prices will crash bigtime.... everyone has spare gold...

even so, there will be no reason to buy gold for real cash because you just got that pop item for your i dunno +3 staff. you just trade that pop with a guildy for X mil to buy the invisible/stealth detect pills you want if you are short on cash but there is no other reason at all why you would need lots of gold anymore.

soooo, you dont need a bulk of gold. gold will be only a model to calculate how much you are going to pay in silk (at first). + maybe some change as sweetener.

why would goldbots keep on farming gold when people are reluctant to buy gold and buy silk items instead because you get what you buy. not wait for player X on spot Y and player X doesnt show up. silkroad wont screw you over + silk items are accepted.

it would ruin the gold bizz because silk bizz will dominate the servers... and that's one way, cash trapped in the game never to get out. the goldbots would need other models to get the $ they are looking for. they might try to dominate SP farming? ong spots? pay to get farmed?

eitherway, it will be no longer goldbots, no longer endless streams of nubs f*cking up grind spots on lower/mid lvls. i doubt grinding for sox is viable. taxiing migt be viable though, but that's less hurtfull to the game i think. the money which would go to goldbot companies wont go that way. + just high lvl people can make decent money taxiing nubs which would make taxiing prices more competitive might goldbot companies start taxiing services.

eitherway, gold prices will get in a slum when there are enough silk items to go around (it will take a few months to get that much silk items going around just for trading, not for using)

if you are a determined to buy item X and you need to spend $, the seller accept silk stuff as currency.... why take the risk of getting scammed or waiting for your gold when you can get a direct trade with JM.....

[edit]
every currency is based on thrust. (although SRO is a bit manipulated because NPC's only accept gold xD that aside)

if there is no longer trust that you can buy the a sun for the same amount of gold the following day the prices will drop because everyone wants to buy that sun because that will have more worth the next day, that will even decrease the trust in the gold prices and eventually it will have no other use than to buy stuff at the NPC's,,

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:16 pm 

What is preventing me to buy 100 millions from gold company and trade it for 10 magic pops?

Also, if I want to sell my item for 23 millions, I will have to look for few magic pops and global ~ a mix of valutes = unhandy. Consignation shop, which uses gold as currency would be useless, and I dont think this is in main interest of everyone.

tl;dr good idea, but lots of flaws in Silkroad - and I dont think you could move such a mass, especially since there is language barrier. I wonder how they done it at the game you mentioned in your post

Ideas? Also, I have to re-read what you wrote, because I fail to realize how would this reduce the
goldbots. However do you turn it, gold will have value, wont it?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:42 am 

@Nitro

you need 100m

if silk items arent widely accepted:
you have to buy gold from goldcompany/borrow

if silk items are widely accepted:
you can buy silk items and trade those + some gold you got spare from grinding

in contrary to gold silk has a steady price. 10 pop will always be 100 silk and 100 silk will always be $10

when goldbot companies see more people start to buy silk instead of gold their respons will be to lower their goldprices to sell some gold! this is a self fullfilling prophecy, people notice gold is getting worth less because 100m gold went from $10 to $8 (example)... if you bought gold you have only $8 of worth in gold left, if you bought pops, you still have $10 dollars in worth.

prices of gold can only drop when silk items are more accepted,

if you are a gold company, your chars farmed 100m today. 100m would get you $10 before but now it will only get you $8 and after a while maybe only $5 and again after a while even less.... would you keep your goldbots up and running?

gold prices crash -> gold bots are less viable -> gold bots will stop

atleast to me that seems a logic conclusion.... wouldnt you say?

- -
TF2 is loaded with scammers, just like SRO xD to my knowledge people just stopt taking metal for hats and instead wanted other hats for their hats. made conversion tabels for how many metal a hat was worth a certain point in time and every week those tabels are updated with new prices.

and some hats are like 100+ refined metal (max you can trade is 10 refined at a time) you would need to trade 10 times,, instead you can just trade 7 bills (type of hat, worth 14 ref) + a few refined. basicly the hats became currency and the metal became like change. every trader in the game uses the same exchange rates for certain hats. the releases of these hats were limited (like 2000 earbuds or 5000 bills hats for example) there can't be more hats of those, the amount of TF2 players is quite steady and the demand doesnt change so the hats have a steady worth. in a year i can probably still sell my hats for the same price.

the point in TF2 is you can change your alias very easy. you can be called 1234 the one moment and 5678 the next. if you move fast nobody you scam can get your real account name and make fuzz about it to your friends. this is not possible in SRO to the same extend.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:11 am 

I must say I haddend thought about consign though :(

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:43 pm 
Veteran Member

Ughh.... so many walls...

Spoiler!