Silkroad Online Forums

A community forum for the free online game Silkroad Online. Discuss Silkroad Online, read up on guides, and build your character and skills.

Faq Search Members Chat  Register Profile Login

All times are UTC

Post subject: Windows 10
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:29 pm 

Share your impression....

Post subject: Re: Windows 10
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:32 pm 
Elite Member

Location: ┌(╬ಠ益ಠ)╯( ̄ー ̄)(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ:・✧(╯°Д°)╯彡┻━┻ψ(`∇´)ψ(☞゚∀゚)☞¯\_(ツ)_/¯ლ(ಥ益ಥლ)ԅ༼ ◔ڡ◔༽งヽ༼ʘ̚ل͜ʘ̚༽ノᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Looking at this vid, I'm not exactly ecstatic.
Maybe the demo is bad, but it seems like they forgot computers have right mouse buttons and large screens.

The interface looks extremely clunky and roundabout for a lot of features.
Humongous buttons occupying extremely large spaces. Completely unnecessary buttons for PC users that shouldn't really be there until you are using a dedicated touch device.
I'm also not a fan of the new icon style. Kind of looks like it was made in paint. Colors have very strong contrasts everywhere, which kind of hurts the eyes over extended periods of time.
The start menu's tiles also look like big fat advertisements hardcoded into the system.
I'm not very positive about this. It better be heavily modifiable, because right now it looks like a lazy port of a mobile OS.

- Day[9] Daily 337 -

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:11 pm 
Site Contributor

I'm excited for DX12 and just the fact it should be better than Windows 8. I'm rather pissed though the installer disk to Win10 Insider erased my volume headers and I didn't even install anything. Luckily I fixed it and keep backups and have recovery bootloaders but damn that was annoyint

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:41 pm 
Elite Member

Location: ┌(╬ಠ益ಠ)╯( ̄ー ̄)(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ:・✧(╯°Д°)╯彡┻━┻ψ(`∇´)ψ(☞゚∀゚)☞¯\_(ツ)_/¯ლ(ಥ益ಥლ)ԅ༼ ◔ڡ◔༽งヽ༼ʘ̚ل͜ʘ̚༽ノᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I had to go off somewhere during my last comment, so to further elaborate.

One of the things that annoys me excessively in this new windows is how forcibly everything is pointed out.
The start menu is a prime example of this:

Unnecessary texts everywhere. 'Places', 'most used' and 'recently added' are prime examples. Windows7 has the exact same stuff in there, with visual markers and separators instead of text. As a result the start menu is capable of fitting much more programs and icons in there. In addition 'places' isn't even particularly descriptive...
When you're searching through the stuff as well. There's a separate icon in there to signal the changing of a letter in the alphabet. What is that even good for? We can read just fine and we're perfectly aware it's alphabetical. It just adds unnecessary scrolling to the process and makes everything look more disorganized.

They just do a terrible job at using the space they have optimally.
The explorer is flawed in a similar way. It has a whole shebang of stuff on the top of the window. It looks like a program that came straight out of the office pack. Huge space wasting buttons that are just not necessary there or at least require nowhere near the amount of space they're getting.
Especially considering the issue that comes up with modern 16:9 screens: You're already quite short on vertical space, so adding in menu's like that significantly takes away from the relevant information a user could be viewing. Now you're just scrolling more and have less overview of what's on there.

- Day[9] Daily 337 -

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:56 pm 
Elite Member

Another comment...
OP's vid is 5 months old. I just looked up a more recent one. Here's a vid from a month ago.

Interface looks much cleaner and properly scaled in this build :)

- Day[9] Daily 337 -

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:20 pm 
Forum Legend

Meh.. I'm not part of Win 10 hype train. lulz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:40 pm 
Elite Member

I like it, I have no doubt it will be the best Windows. I also already use windows 8 on my sp3 and I know it does more things right than wrong for touch users so I welcome further improvements in this area with a hybrid tone in mind.

In the end I'll wait with my sp3 until the rest of the community tests it and clears it just due to compatibility concerns; even though software wise I want to test it asap.

Now for my gaming machine...... is all concerns on that front. I think ms is plotting to combat pirated contents on people's pc meaning they are going big brother on the OS which is not appealing to me at all as there are even rumors of the OS requiring a subscription in which case ms can go f itself.

In conclusion as long as Windows 10 doesnt have more control over it's OS than it currently does, I will be eager to upgrade.

Guild Wars 2, Isle of Janthir (NA)

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:31 am 

I hate the tablet-like interface on a PC....Its quite horrid actually....It seems windows 10 is a half ass attempt to change that...I don't mind having a hybrid for the sake of users who want that tablet look and feel just as long as I can turn that off completely and have a conventional PC interface.....Microsoft and their tiles sucks asss....

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:08 am 

Windows 10 (Tech Preview) is great to work on, haven't had much issues with the latest builds.
Latest build is 10166.
Just watching a Youtube video -> impossible to give your own impressions.

It's a smooth experience (tested on desktop & laptop).
Startbutton
I'm upgrading from 8.1 Pro -> 10 Pro on day 1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:02 pm 

I've been using it for the past half year. GUI is hardly a problem. At first? "Not Aero? Absolutely disgusting!" fast foward a few months later and I'm okay with it. Start menu was dogshit, but it came through now. Yeah it has a lot of space wasted, but it's not cluttered and it's also much more useful when you pin things to the start menu. GUI imo is much more sleek in comparison to Win7.

I have two my major complaints. First is you can't disable updates, has keylogging, and so on which could just be for the preview build? Maybe, we'll see but it isn't like Microsoft is out to steal shit from you it's all debug purposes. The other one is putting features in a metro app ie win8. For some reason whoever designed it in that, thought it'd be a great idea to have a small list appear long. That is something I do not like at all.
Spoiler!

Aside from that personally annoying the hell out of me, I like notifications staying in a list, multi-monitor support, task manager from win8, and a ton of other small changes that are nice.

BuDo wrote:
I hate the tablet-like interface on a PC

Have you used Windows 10? Doesn't sound like you did.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:58 pm 

Toshiharu wrote:
BuDo wrote:

No I haven't tried Windows 10...I just noticed it shares some similarity (graphically speaking) with windows 8 by looking at the video....Unless you're hinting that I can turn off that tile/App shit then that's nice...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:43 am 

BuDo wrote:
Toshiharu wrote:
BuDo wrote:

No I haven't tried Windows 10...I just noticed it shares some similarity (graphically speaking) with windows 8 by looking at the video....Unless you're hinting that I can turn off that tile/App shit then that's nice...

I'm assuming you're talking about the start menu? Then no, there is no way to revert back to the old fashioned Win7 unless you install classic shell. Personally speaking, it's better since you can pin more applications in a neater fashion. By 'tablet-like' look I assume you mean the things that are pinned in those videos, my start menu looks like this

Spoiler!

The only 'tablet-like' thing you have to deal with is maybe if you want to use the notification area 'Action Center' which you can completely ignore if you search for what you want like every other person since Vista.

You can however enable tablet mode which I can't turn on since I assume it enabled for surface pros.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:22 am 
Elite Member

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly ... 0-charges/

If this is true, I doubt I'll ever use a legit copy.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:16 am 

Love wrote:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/07/10/free-windows-10-charges/

Well that's Microsucks for ya....That's how they roll...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:50 am 
Elite Member

Love wrote:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/07/10/free-windows-10-charges/

It wouldn't surprise me if this is only for their enterprise customers, though.
Probably no reason to worry. Microsoft can't afford to lose more consumers, so their plans will probably change along the way :)
The article is clearly just made as clickbait for Forbes. As they say themselves in the article; we can't really know for sure what is going to happen. One thing is for sure, though, Microsoft, as I said, won't want to lose more consumers. I wouldn't be so worried.

Oh, and I can't wait to get the new Windows 10. The only thing I do not like all that much are the icons used int he start menu. I'm not talking about the tiles, but the actual icons. They look clunky and out of place with their different background colors.

Check out our music-video! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMxZWMWRjSM
I'm on the drums, beaches!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:15 am 

Toshiharu wrote:
I've been using it for the past half year. GUI is hardly a problem. At first? "Not Aero? Absolutely disgusting!" fast foward a few months later and I'm okay with it. Start menu was dogshit, but it came through now. Yeah it has a lot of space wasted, but it's not cluttered and it's also much more useful when you pin things to the start menu. GUI imo is much more sleek in comparison to Win7.

I have two my major complaints. First is you can't disable updates, has keylogging, and so on which could just be for the preview build? Maybe, we'll see but it isn't like Microsoft is out to steal shit from you it's all debug purposes. The other one is putting features in a metro app ie win8. For some reason whoever designed it in that, thought it'd be a great idea to have a small list appear long. That is something I do not like at all.
Spoiler!

Aside from that personally annoying the hell out of me, I like notifications staying in a list, multi-monitor support, task manager from win8, and a ton of other small changes that are nice.

Indeed, GUI came a long way since the first TP
Windows 10 'Home', updates are always ON; u can't disable them
10 Pro, disabling is possible
The 'keylogging' is only for the Tech Preview - will disappear in the full release.

Concerning the 'prices':
W7 SP1 & W8.1 users can upgrade for free in the 1st year
Buying a new W10 license -> pricing is the same as they were for W7 Home Premium & W7 Pro & W8(.1) & W8(.1) Pro
So I doubt they will be charging money for updates...

hating on W10, without even using it.. or because of some rumours...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:29 pm 

Anyone having any issues with this?... I few people I know are having trouble running some of their programs since they've upgraded...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:33 am 

BuDo wrote:
Anyone having any issues with this?... I few people I know are having trouble running some of their programs since they've upgraded...

None.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:50 am 
Elite Member

BuDo wrote:

Nope, not having any issues at all, actually.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:33 pm 
Elite Member

MS added W10's datamining for W7/W8 in a recent update.
It involves the following updates:
1. KB3068708
2. KB3022345
3. KB3075249
4. KB3080149

Make sure you don't accidentally get them.

Here's how to protect yourself from MS' spying:
W10: http://imgur.com/gallery/I8u2G
W7/W8: http://imgur.com/gallery/Dy79J

- Day[9] Daily 337 -

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:59 am 
Elite Member

poehalcho wrote:
MS added W10's datamining for W7/W8 in a recent update.
It involves the following updates:
1. KB3068708
2. KB3022345
3. KB3075249
4. KB3080149

Make sure you don't accidentally get them.

Here's how to protect yourself from MS' spying:
W10: http://imgur.com/gallery/I8u2G
W7/W8: http://imgur.com/gallery/Dy79J

Well... does it even matter anymore? If you use Facebook, they know it all anyway. If you use Google in any capacity, they know most of it anyway. Why not Microsoft as well? As the link also says, the only "evil" thing it is really used for, is to serve you personalized ads - and when you think about it, is that even evil at all? After all, you receive relevant ads instead of junk.

And apart from that, it may help them collect information about the uses of Windows, which will enable them to improve the aspects of the system that people use the most.

With that said, I have also turned off the wifi password sharing and most other things. But most of this is turned off automatically because I only use a local account - not a MS account :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:14 am 
Elite Member

Guess I'm lucky...
I don't have Facebook and I have internet behaviour that somewhat circumvents google in a lot of cases :D. Except YT...

I like to try anyway... It's a principle thing :/

- Day[9] Daily 337 -

Last edited by poehalcho on Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:31 am 
Elite Member

I am waiting til the end, i just realized i care about pirating on laptop due to ms office.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:35 pm 
Elite Member

poehalcho wrote:
Guess I'm lucky...
I don't have Facebook and I have internet behaviour that somewhat circumvents google in a lot of cases :D. Except YT...

I like to try anyway... It's a principle thing :/

I don't use Facebook either. Luckily :)

Love wrote:
I am waiting til the end, i just realized i care about pirating on laptop due to ms office.

Why wait till the end, though? I understand waiting a few months till the most common bugs have been squished out and all, but why a year? Just curious.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:35 pm 
Elite Member

Because I may not want to upgrade, probably will but still want that option.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:19 pm 

I'll wait a few months yet...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:38 am 
Elite Member

Welp... here comes the shitstorm...

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/201 ... g-software

Quote:
The latest update for Windows 10 is having unforeseen consequences -- deleting potentially important programs without asking for permission first.

The first major update for Microsoft's latest operating system began rolling out on 12 November, alongside the New Xbox One Experience. The update was aimed at boosting overall performance standards, enhancing the features of digital assistant Cortana, and improving the Xbox experience on PC, along with introducing a handful of business-focused tweaks.

However, users have found that the update has also been removing programs, typically those that assist with hardware management or monitoring tools, without so much as a prompt or a permission pop-up. Among the affected are Speccy and CPU-Z, which allow users to more easily see and control their system components, and AMD's Catalyst Control Center, the command hub for Radeon graphics cards used by many PC gamers.

ಠ__ಠ It Farking deletes CCC. What a load of shit.

edit:
Doesn't this literally mean microsoft is spreading a big freakin virus? A piece of software that destroys data without explicit permission from the user.

edit edit:
Quote:
Microsoft recently announced that Windows 10 will be automatically rolled out to all users of Windows 7 or 8 next year -- but only for those who have selected to receive updates.

WTF ಠ__ಠ
Guess I'm never updating ever again...

- Day[9] Daily 337 -

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:57 pm 

BuDo wrote:
I'll wait a few more months yet...

I just wanna reiterate this with a slight edit....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:41 am 
Elite Member

BuDo wrote:
BuDo wrote:
I'll wait a few more months yet...

I just wanna reiterate this with a slight edit....

I think it would be safe to update now, though? I've not really had any issues, and I've had Windows 10 since it officially released.

Just curious as to why you'd want to wait even more? Surely, all hardware producers fixed their glitches and bugs within the first weeks, right?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:11 am 

1. My windows 8.1 isn't threatening to cause me some yet to be discovered issues. As pointed out in poehalcho post. It works fine (But I do hate the widows 8 interface)
2. All those Xbox and windows device integration features doesn't mean anything to me. I don't have (or want) anything else made by windows
3. The free upgrade isn't really free with all the inherent privacy issues (rumored data mining) and intrusiveness forcing you to put up with unwanted features.
4. It's still sorta Beta-ish as all the problems are not yet discovered/revealed.
5. Is the user experience really that different for someone that just browse, watch Youtube and game?

Despite my reasons I will probably switch soon once I've researched that it's stable and they are workarounds to being forced to comply with what Microsoft thinks is the best user experience as oppose to what I think my user experience should be...I want full feature control... That means disabling any feature I want no matter how much Microsoft thinks its great/important...