Silkroad Online Forums

A community forum for the free online game Silkroad Online. Discuss Silkroad Online, read up on guides, and build your character and skills.

Faq Search Members Chat  Register Profile Login

All times are UTC

Post subject: [GUIDE]The Full Wizard/Bard Guide {17/10/08} Updated!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:11 pm 
Banned User

The Wizard/Bard Guide
--By Guthix (Silvertaler)--

Contents:

I-Introduction
1-Guthix
2-Why being a wizard and why taking a bard subclass?

II-Wizard/Bard Gear
1-Your Main Weapon
2-Your gear
3-Your Secondary Weapon

III-Your Skills
1-Wizard Skills
2-Bard Skills
3-Farming tips

IV-Playing your Wizard/bard
1-Soloing
2-Partying
3-Player Versus Player

V-Miscellanious
1-References, External Links
2-Future Updates

I-Introduction

Because this is my beloved build, and because I want to share my knowledge, I'm writting you this wizard - bard guide. :)

Casting Fire Trap at CTF, back when I was at 2x

1-Guthix?

Since I'm the one writting this you might be curious enough to ask yourself who I am. To answer that, well... I'm Guthix :D . I am a player from server Venus. I have played this game since the times when only chinese existed. I always was 100% legit, for me achieving a game without any kinds of cheats is a way to prove myself I am a real gamer (and not a noob). Currently I am a lvl 7x wizard, and I've been playing this build for around 6 months (had a 3 month break). I have tried soloing, partying, PvPing, unique hunting, trading with this build, and studied all the skills I have to use them better :wink: .

2-Why being a wizard, and why taking a bard subclass?

As a wizard, you'll not turn mobs into frogs (you can go warlock for similar skills), you'll not turn your staff into a snake, or even travel in time. You are there to nuke :roll: .

Nuke: In most MMORPG's a "nuke" is a magical skill with destructive power (which is why they are called "nukes" - nuclear weapons, as the real ones are also destructive). These skills are often made on the prupose of 1 shotting an oppoent. "To nuke" means to use these skills.

Wizards are the ultimate nuking machines on SRO. Their skills are as deadly as they are massive/powerfull looking. They have the highest D.P.S. (damage per second, the total of damage dealt within a second) in the game, along with warlocks, which is why they are very usefull in parties. They also have the most powerfull AoE (Area of Effect) skills in the game, after offering (one of the many cleric's skills).
Along with bard skills, they have acces to great party skills (tambours and dances), speed and noise, and instant casting nukes. These bard skills can be very helpfull for a wizard, for example with speed and noise you can simply walk to your grinding spot instead of buying horses. Noise will also prevent you from getting 1 shot by a general (party or not) mob in your back. Overall, bard is a very good sub choice for wizard. In this guide you'll be making what we call a full wizard/full bard.

Ok, enough Intro's, let's move on to the more interesting stuff. :wink:

II- Wizard and Bard Gear

1-Your Main Weapon

What else could it be... This is every wizard's friend, something you can't live without. A staff! :shock:

Some English grammar: The plural of "Staff" is "Staves" and not "Staffs". It's the same as a Knife and Knives.

Be smart when buying a staff. When you buy one, make sure it has (in the best case):
-High magical attack power
-High attack rating

The best blues for a staff are:
-Int
-Attack Rating
-Block Ratio (decreases the chances of your attacks of being blocked)

2-Your gear

Both wizards and bards wear robes, you don't really have the choice :roll:

You should be looking for robes with high:
-Physical defence
-Magical defence
-Parry Ratio

And the most important blues would be:
-HP bonus
-Int
-Parry Ratio

3-Your Secondary Weapon

Bards don't have drums, guitar, piano, microphone... they have a Harp. So it's your secondary weapon :)

You shouldn't need a pimped harp. Actually if you want to use your bard skills for PvP, having a +3 harp is enough since all you're gonna fight with it are wizards and other ints (booming chord ftw :shock: ). Also, you won't be able to go with a lvl 1 harp all the way even if you only use your bard skills for parties (otherwise I'd have posted a lvl 1 harp picture instead of the 9D one :roll: ) because your mana healing depends on your weapon's magical attack power and magical reinforce.

Tips: As we will see later on in the guide, you are not supposed to get hit. Thus, you should spend much more money on your staff than on your gear. You can, for example, hang around with NPC gear and a +3 staff or better if you don't have that much money. At later lvls you will need to hang around with better clothes, with the blues I have suggested, but you should always give priority to your staff.

III-Your Skills

Green: Needed
Orange: Optional
Red: Skip

1-Wizard Skills

Wizard skills are your main skills. You'll see yourself running around with your staff more often than with your harp. These skills are the ones that allow you to outdamage every other class in the game.

Casting Ice Bolt, back when I had bought my lvl 24 staff. This is one of the most answome screenshots I ever took.

So let's see what skills you'll need as a wizard.

Image Natural Spirit:
I will not go into details on these skills as there is nothing much to say about them. These are the skills you will need to unlock and power up all your wizard skills. Max them all.

ImageForce Mental:
These are the passives that make wizards even more specical. Nothing much to say about these either, max them all.
Life Control and Life Turnover are the skills that make you hit higher than any other class in this game, by increasing your attack power of 25% and removing 50% HP. You should use those skills in any parties.

Note: Wizard's standard range is 18m, it's the standard range for all the ranged weapons. With Magic Bound, it is increased of 1m everytime you lvl up that skill.

ImageEarth Mentalist

ImageGround Charge:
This skill is not very usefull. It does high damage, yes, but it has only 5m range, which will most likely get you killed. A wizard should be at the longest range possible when nuking. Skip this skill.

ImageRoot:
This skill prevents a mob/player from moving for 10 seconds. The thing is, if you attack the mob/player, the skill goes away. And not only that but it has 20% chances of failing. If you have the time to cast this, you also have the time to cast more usefull skills. Skip it.

ImageEarth Shock:
Your most powerfull AoE until lvl 60, you'll need this skill in every single party you're in. It takes a little bit longer to cast than fire/ice nukes. Great looking skill aswell. get it.

ImageEarth Barrier:
Gives you extra 30% physical defence (it increases as you lvl this skill up) for 20 seconds, and has a 60 seconds cooldown. It's great for parties, a bit like bless spell (but this one is for physical mobs only). Get it.

ImageEarth Rave:
Same as Ground Rave.

ImageMesh Root:
Same as Root.

ImageEarth Quake:
Same as Earth Shock.

ImageEarth Fence:
Same as Earth Barrier.

Charging up Earth Shock at lvl 64.

ImageCold Mentalist

ImageIce Bolt:
Your secondary nuke after Fire Bolt, until lvl 60. It does less damage than fire bolt but it's always very usefull when fire bolt fails to 1 shot, or to just deal damage while your other nukes cooldown. Get it.

ImageMana Drain:
I never happened to test this skill, but I've seen people using it... it's useless. You can just get Mana Drought at later lvls without having to lvl this skill up.

ImageSnow Wind:
Earth Shock's friend. It's a mass damage AoE with a 80% chance of doing frostbite and 20% of freezing. Another great skill. get it.

ImageInvisible:
Invisible is... the best skill a wizard can have at PvP: Nothing can beat a surprise attack from long range :roll: (unless your opponent is seriously experienced). This skill is also very usefull for walking through the caves at lvl 50+ without getting killed. Just get it.

ImageFrozen Spear:
An improved version of Ice bolt, it does close to as much damage as fire bolt. Now this skill is really great for PvP, I'll explain it later on in the PvP section. Get it, max it.

Note: Frozen Spear's animation can be cut out right after you fire it, it will still hit 3 times and do as much damage. Also, as it hits 3 times, and every time has 20% chances of frostbiting, it will frostbite much more easily than ice bolt.

ImageMana Drought:
Mana drain much. It's actually usefull at PvP against chinese using snow shield. You can try using it at PvP, optional.

ImageBlizzard:
Like snow wind but with a 15 meter radius and one of the most massive looking skills in the game. Get it.

ImageCrystal Invisible:
This version of Invisible makes your whole party invisible, but for a shorter amount of time than Invisible. It can be great aswell, get it.

Casting Frozen Spear at lvl 69.

ImageFire Mentalist

ImageFire Bolt:
Your main nuke. All the way till lvl 90. Good enough to 1 shot most people of your lvl (or higher). Get it.

ImageFire Trap:
Now this skill is optional but I suggest you take it. You won't use it very often, you can go all the way till lvl 90 without really missing it, but it's really usefull at jobbing and CTF. You can ,for instance, set a fire trap in front of an entrance, sit back and wait till someone walks in. It does more damage than fire bolt and has a very powerfull burn status. Like I said, I suggest you get it, but it's optional. I'll talk about it later in the PvP section.

ImageFire Blow:
100% PvP skill but it totaly owns at PvP. It's destructive ,it does more damage than fire bolt + ice bolt together. It's also great for unique hunting. The reason why it sucks for grinding is that once you cast it, you're stuck there for 9 seconds and if you get attacked by a mob meanwhile, you cant escape. You're most likely dead. Get this skill anyways, you'll need it.

Note: This skill can also be stopped while being cast, by selecting another target and casting another nuke. Also, it takes less time to cast than any other wizard nuke, and it has less range.

ImageDetect:
Detects any nearby wizards (not rogues). The problem is, it only has a 10m range(wizard range is 18 and it goes up after lvl 40 with the passive). I find it rather useless but it's your choice. Optional.

ImageMeteor:
This is the most powerfull skill a wizard can have. It outdamages fire bolt as much as fire bolt outdamages ice bolt, and it has a 5m AoE. Don't replace fire bolt by meteor. Fire Bolt is always your main nuke for 1 vs 1. Meteor is for parties (AoE damage). Max it.

Note: This skill has a 10 seconds cooldown, and after you use it, your fire bolt will also be under a 10 seconds cooldown. If you use fire bolt, meteor will be under a 3 seconds cooldown.

ImageLava Trap:
Same as Fire Trap.

ImageSalamander Blow:
Same as Fire Blow.

ImageSprawl Detect:
Same as detect, but it would have a party effect like crystal invisible (to be confirmed).

Fire Bolt, a screenshot from my 20's.

ImageLightning Mentalist

ImageLighting Bolt:
This skill does low damage and it hits 2 mobs. It's even weaker than Ice Bolt. But you'll have to max it, because the improved version at lvl 60 is very usefull for parties. Just max it but don't bother using it.

ImageLightning Shock:
This skill can be really life saving sometimes. It has a 80% chance of casting fear, which will prevent your opponent (mob or player) from attacking you for 20 seconds. Not to mention that the improved version has AoE. I'd say it's optional because you can easily live without, but I strongly recommend it.

ImageCharged Wind:
This skill isn't a damage dealing skill, it's more of a life-saving skill like lightning shock. No matter what, everytime you cast this skill it will KB. It can't fail. It hits 5 times, each time has a 80% change of KBing (hence why it never fails). You could leave it at lvl 1 but the improved version is worth it, so max it.

ImageTeleport:
My favourite skill. Teleports you instantly anywhere you want, in a 10m range (increases as you lvl it). I'll talk further about it later on in the partying section.

Note: To use teleport, just move your mouse on the place where you wana teleport and click on the skill. This skill should have the mouse wheel as the short key, as it makes it much more effective.

ImageCharged Lightning:
Like I said before you need this in parties. Why? Because then you have 4 main AoE's (Meteor, Earth Shock, Snow Wind and Charged Lightning). If you didn't have this, you'd have 3 AoE's, and you can't cast them all at once: when you cast them all, you have to cast ice bolt before you start AoEing again, simply because their cooldown is too long :roll: Get it.

ImageLightning Impact:
AoE version of Lightning shock. As I have said before, it pwnz0rs.

ImageCharged Squall:
Improved version of Charged wind.

ImageAerial Teleport:
Same as teleport.

2-Bard Skills
These are your secondary skills. But you might aswell run around with your harp more often if you like it more: after all, you should have both masteries maxed.

Running around with guard tambour and speed. Bard skills are also great looking.

ImageBards Dream
Just like wizards have their passives, bards also have passives to increase their attack power and the performance of party skills. Max them all.

ImageBattle Chord

ImageHorror Chord:
Your first bard nuke. Instant casting, 1 target. Needed for PvP against other wizards (will explain further on), get it.

ImageBooming Chord/Booming Wave:
This skill is an AoE skill that hits 5 mobs/players around you without having to select any target, and it's instant casting. This is your ultimate weapon against all int builds, and also very good looking. Get it

ImageWeird Chord:
It has the same AoE effect as Meteor: shots 1 mob and hits 2 other mobs in a 5m range. Of course, it does less damage than meteor. Like horror chord, it's instant casting. Get it.

ImageMana Switch:
You get 50% of the damage made by the target. But this skill has got a limit. For example, at skill lvl 7, the max amount of mana u get is only 742. So, dont think u'll get 20k mp when your target is hitting 40k on mobs. Optional.

ImageMusic Pleasure

ImageMoving March/Swing March:
Speed! It replaces horses and helps tanks, helps you run away from mobs, makes you run faster wherever you wanna go :shock: . It's one of the best skills ever. Get it!

ImageGuard Tambour/Mana Tambour/Hit March/Clout March::
Along with dances, these are your party skills. They all look the same, and you can't use two of them or more together. Guard is for physical defence, mana for magical defence, and hit march/clout march for hit ratio. Max 'em all.

ImageMelody

ImageHolding Calmor/Patter Calmor:
My opinion on this skill is the same as for wizard's root. If you have the time to cast this skill, you could also be casting a more usefull skill in that time, instead. Skip it.

ImageCure Melody:
This skill has a long cooldown and its just 1 target. Not to mention that at lvl 90 you get a much better version that doesn't need this skill maxed to be unlocked. Well if you want you can always use this skill instead of pills. It's optional.

ImageTemptation/curious Temptation:
Watching mobs fight eachother is fun but it won't get you anywhere, really. Skip.

ImageRave Melody:
This skill turns some of your HP into MP. Not only you alrady have enough MP but you also have low MP as a pure int. This skill is for str bards, but not for int bards. To be skipped.

ImageCure Music:
The improved version of Cure Melody that you'll need. Get it.

ImageSound

ImageTuning Noise/Tuning Sound:
Absolute Damage. This skill will hit as much as it says in its describion not matter the defence power of your opponent. Absolute damage is important sometimes, you'll need it. Max these skills.

ImageMana Cycle/Mana Orbit:
This is your best friend at parties. You'll use it over and over and over again. It heals a fixed amount of MP every second during 16 seconds. It's your main mana healing skill. Get it.

ImageNoise:
Will prevent general mobs (party or not) from attacking you. This skill is really great. It's one of the main reasons many people go bard sub, along with moving march. Get it.

ImageMana Wind/Mana Breeze:
This skill is supposed to be used in case mana cycle doesn't heal enough MP. The thing is, mana cycle always heals enough MP unless you're not paying attention to the party, and this skill will also aggro mobs on you. I always did well without it, I'd say skip it.

ImageDiscord Wave:
This skill is good for killing botters, but only on mobs which lvl's are lower than this skill's lvls. On mobs of your lvl and higher (and you'll see yourself partying mobs 11 lvls higher most of the time) it will have the opposite effect: it will aggro on you. Up to you to see if you wanna go kill botters or not, but not usefull for parties or soloing. Optional.

ImageBeautifull life
These skills are the passives for dance skills. Get them all.

ImageDancing Concert
Your dances. You will need them all, depending on what your party misses the most, you'll chose one of the dances(you will find yourself casting dance of magic most of the time). You can't cast 2 at the same time.

Booming Chord

3-Farming Tips

Now that you know all the skills you need, you're probably asking yourself "but how much SP is this all gonna take?" I'll answer you that question.

For the current cap (lvl 90), you will need around 760k SP (excluding the optional skills, except fire trap)

Now this means you have some farming to do. For me, I am playing only with the essential partying skills until lvl 70, so I can keep a low gap. I haven't farmed most of my bard skills yet, and I still miss some wizard skills. I will farm all the SP I will need at lvl 79.
But that's me. If you prefer you can also farm all the SP you need at lower lvls, like many people do.

Anyways, if you want to do like me and farm at higher lvls, here are the skills you could skip before you start farming:
-Fire Blow/Salamander Blow
-Fire Trap/Lava trap
-Charged Wind (leave at lvl 1)
-Lightning Bolt/Chain Lightning
-Only take speed, noise, mana cycle, tambours and dances as a bard (for parties)

It will make gapping easier for you without decreasing your grinding/PvPing performance too much :wink: .

For gapping plans and other SP information you might need, check out http://nivlam.com

IV-Playing your Wizard/Bard

Casting Meteor while in a Guards Party

1-Soloing

Even tho a wizard is very fragile and will get killed very easily by champions or giants, you still have the ability to solo grind very efficiently.

1.1-Getting Ready

Ok so you are in town and you're about to go solo. What will you need?

First of all, wizards will naturally use more mana potions than HP potions. This might seem logical. On your autopotions menu, you should put HP potions to 80% and MP to around 50%. Why HP at 80%? Because If you get hit your HP will probably go down to less than 50% if not to 0%. If it goes down to 50% and you have your HP autopot set to 40%, you won't take a potion and the next hit will kill you.

Note: When I talk about getting hit, it's supposed to be something rare, an accident. You are NOT supposed to get hit under any circumstances :banghead: keep the longest range possible from your mobs.

Secondly, you will need buffs. This is where your bard sub shines: turn up speed (moving march) and noise, along with life control (or life turnover). I know many people prefer to play without LC, to avoid getting 1 shot, but you aren't supposed to get hit. If you get hit that often it means you need to pay more attention.

1.2-Skills you'll need the most:
-Fire Bolt
-Ice Bolt/Frozen Spear
-Life Control
-Moving March
-Noise

Tips:If you 2 hit your mob, then cast Ice Bolt/Frozen Spear first. It has a chance of frostbiting and even freezing. You'll find it annoying that fire olt can 1 shot mobs than Ice Bolt can't, until lvl 60, so the best choice is mobs you can 2 shot.

And you also have your three life-saving skills:
-Teleport
-Charged Wind
-Lightning Shock

Tips:Use teleport if you get attacked by a mob to run away. It's way more effective than just running away. Charged wind can also work right before a teleport if you accidentaly aggroed many mobs on you. Lightning shock is most usefull on champions if you want to kill them.

Well, theres nothing much left to say about soloing, I'll just give you some extra tips:

-Take the longest range possible when nuking a mob.
-Don't try killing a giant. yes, a wizard bard can kill a giant, but you gotta get lucky and skilled. One critical and you're down. Better just avoid them and keep getting exp than to try them and get owned.
-Grind on mobs you can 1-2 shot, and if they're aggro make sure you got the good noise lvl for them.
-Use fire bolt and ice bolt/frozen spear only. I know meteoring mobs or earth shocking them is fun but meteor gives you that 10 second cool down and mass AoE's will most likely aggro mobs on you.
-If you really insist on taking down champions then you can try starting with lightning shock to give them fear. That way you don't get hit. If it fails, teleport away.
-Just don't use any AoE skills unless it's really necessary :banghead:

2-Partying

2.1-With your Wizard Mastery

Now this is one of the most interesting parts of being a wizard. You have an important role in the party, and I'll explain you what you are supposed to do.

2.1.1Role in the party:

Your role in a party is to deal damage. Clerics, bards and Warlocks are there to help you deal even more damage. You should only attack mobs if you are sure they are taunted by the warrior. Don't tank a mob. Like at soloing you should not get hit. Tanks are there for that. The surviving tips for soloing work for partying aswell.

Note: You will happen to have a wizard of your party getting attacked, or a bard or cleric. Avoid trying to save them unless you're sure of what you're doing, it's the warrior's job. You'll just get yourself killed after the mob kills the other player, most of the times.

2.1.2-The attacking skills (on a lure):
-Meteor
-Earth Shock
-Snow Wind
-Chain Lightning

If you are attacking a single mob (party giant without any lures around in most cases), then just use fire bolt and ice bolt/frozen spear.

And of course, make sure you keep spamming Earth Barrier, specially when the tank brings big lures (and not while everyone is waiting for the tank to come back).

2.1.3-Your position in a party:

This is also important because it will save you from getting killed most of the times. You should stay at a considerable distance from the lured mobs: staying too close will tend to make them atack you (hence another reason why ground charge is bad). Stay away from other mobs who aren't lured, because with pt aggro they might attack you when you finish off a mob in the lure. Bards usually follow you around and clerics tend to stay between both you and the warrior. This is the typical party set. Here's a picture of what it looks like:

2.1.4-If under attack...

If you get attacked by a mob by accident, teleport away and run by the lure so the tank can just taunt it. Don't try to fight back (unless it's a general non-pt mob) because either you get killed, or either the tank tries to save you, leaving his lure behind which will get out of control, and you get the whole party killed.
Also you should stick in that place near the bard, with the other wizards from the party. Running around and killing normal mobs can be fun when you get bored but theres something called party aggro which will most likely get you killed.

2.1.5-Other Tips:
-Cast your AoE's on party mobs. Don't bother attacking non-party mobs (including champions).
-You WILL die sometimes. It's natural that a warrior forgets to recast taunt/gets killed and has the mobs running towards you. You are not perfect, you'll also happen to attack un-taunted mobs thinking they are taunted. Like I said, a wizard is fragile and dies easily.

Surviving thanks to Invisible

2.2-With your Bard Mastery

Your job as a bard is very easy. All you have to do is cast mana cycle on people most of the time. You should give priority to clerics when doing so. If you have chosen to take mana wind, be carefull with it: it aggroes mobs on you.

2.2.1-Party Buffs:

As for the party buffs, if you are the only bard, you'll have to cast a tambour: either guard or mana tambour. Hit March if there's a high lvl player helping you in the party. With a second bard, you will cast your tambour and a dance, whereas the second bard will cast a second tambour/hit march. Or you can be the one casting a tambour only and the second bard casting both tambour and dances. But make sure you cast them in the right order:

First bard casts the tambour -> Second bard casts the dance -> Second bard casts the second tambour

Bards organisation:

You should also get organised with your second bard for mana cycle. In a 8 player party, chose 3 people you will mana cycle, and have your second bard chosing his other 3 players. It makes things a lot easier.

2.2.2-Other Tips:
-You should not attack mobs. You're a support build. Only if you want to finish off a mob that a wizard couldn't 1 shot, or while fightning a pt giant, then you can use your bard nukes. Otherwise, concentrate on people's MP.
-You can always use teleport while barding.
-Don't run after the tanker.
-Don't bother mana cycling the other bard and don't forget to mana cycle yourself.

3-Player Versus Player

For our build, the rule at PvP is very simple: 1 shot or get 1 shot. But there are tricks and tips to kill every other build. Wizards are the most powerfull killing machines at massive group PvP, no one will ever kill more players than you. But you're most likely gonna beat everyone at dieing aswell: you're everyone's n°1 target.

3.1-The main PvP skills:

ImageFrozen Spear:
This is the skill you'll be using against int/hybrid int builds with a shield. Why? Because it does as much damage as fire bolt but it hits 3 times and has frostbite. Let me explain further:
For example, you want to kill a warlock or a chinese pure int s/s. You cast fire bolt. If he blocks your attack, then you do 0 damage on him.
Cast Fire Bolt = Blocked = 0 damage = you get owned after
Now if you cast Frozen spear, even if your warlock/chinese pure int s/s blocks one of your hits, he will still get hit by the 2 other hits and he will most likely die, unless eh gets lucky and blocks 2 or even the 3 of your hits. Anyways, the point is you got more chances of killing him than with fire bolt.
Cast Frozen Spear = Blocked + 5000 + 5000 = 10k damage = opponent killed!

Note: The reason why you're not using Fire Blow here is that you get stuck there for 9 seconds when int builds don't take that long to kill. Frozen Spear works better in these cases.

Now this skill is very handy against int/hybrid int builds carrying a shield, but not against pure STR builds with a shield. For that, you're gonna need more firepower: the Fire Blow.

ImageFire Blow:
Not only it takes less time to cast but it does a hell of a lot of damage. Only one problem: unlike frozen spear, if you get killed before you deal all the 9 hits, the rest of the hits are cancelled. Fire Blow is the most efficient way of killing a warrior/chinese bladder (or well you can just cast meteor and pray for it to not get blocked).

ImageInvisible:
Nothing is better than a surprise attack. Specially when you can 1 shot. Because wizards can get 1 shot, this skill gives you the chance to attack first and therefore to not get 1 shot. Whenever you are jobbing or PvPing, this skill is essential. Always cast it before you attack (and don't forget to cast moving march or you'll be too slow with invis).

ImageFire Trap:
Plant a trap, go invis, sit back and watch. That's all. This skill is just great for jobbing or CTF, you can set a trap outside a gate/on a bridge/on a corridor/ wherever people will most likely walk in and wait. It outdamages fire bolt, so if you wanna kill someone in a totaly safe way, this is what you need.
You can also use it a bit like booming chord: if someone is standing close enough to you and you dont have time to click him, cast this skill.
It has a third utility, against warriors mostly. You can cast a fire trap and then attack a warrior. He will most likely sprint assault you if he survives, and he will hit you, but he's gonna get hit by the fire trap and get killed too.

Fire Trap at C.T.F.

ImageLightning Shock:
If you have to 3 shot someone in order to kill him, since in that time he's gonna kill you, better just cast this skill and get 80% chances of winning.

ImageBooming Chord, Horror Chord, Weird Chord:
These skills are extremely efficient on wizards, aswell as on other pure ints. Specially booming chord, fastest casting nuke in the game with AoE and no need to select the target. These skills own other ints in 1 shot because of theirinstant casting. You should always use them on wizards.

Note: When using your bard skills for PvP, don't forget you have your tambours to give you extra defence, or hit march for a chance of hitting higher. Use them.

ImageFire Bolt and Meteor:
Against chinese glaviers, bows and against rogues, these two are your best skills. Purely high damage. A chinese glavier has a lot of HP, enough to resist fire bolt, but not meteor. These two kills are your main damage dealing nukes everywhere, so don't forget about them.

ImageEarth Shock and Snow Wind:
Finaly, the skills you're gonna use at mass group PvP (fortress wars). These are the skills that allow you to get that massive number of kills, along with meteor and chain lightning.

3.2-Your Survivability:

You'll sometimes get owned at 1 vs 1 even with all those tricks I thaught you. It's natural that a wizard gets killed easily, you're public enemy n°1, remember? It's simply because you get 1 shot by everyone else and because your skills take longer to cast. But don't be disapointed: remember that at group PvP no one gets more kills than you if you play correctly. At Fortress Wars, guilds depend on wizards to get their kills. At CTF you will get a lot of tickets. Remember, you can 1 shot everyone, everyone can 1 shot you. Play smart and you'll be the best.

V-Miscellanious

1-References and External Links

Bards Explained: Check out Guardia's bard guide for further reading about bard skills.
Nivlam: For everything else you might need to know about SP and gear, check out this website.

2-Update log

15/10/08
- Guide posted with the three first sections.
16/10/08
- Added bard skills and the IV section (Playing your wizard/bard).
- New notes, corrected the guide, added extra informations.
- New screenshots

17/10/08
- Added tips, and the last section V- Miscellanious
2/11/08
-A few corrections made and some screenies updated.

3-Future Updates:

-Videos to be added.
-More References and External Links to be added.
-100 cap update.

Last edited by Guthix on Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:22 pm, edited 39 times in total.

Post subject: Re: [GUIDE] The Full wizard/bard guide --to be completed--
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:38 pm 

I thought warlocks have the highest DPS (damage per second) because of their DoTs (damage over time). DPS accounts for the number of times you hit a mob, not how hard you hit it. Or am I wrong?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:13 am 

dps is damage per second.
so if a wizard hits 3000
and the cast time is 3 seconds
the dps would be 1000

edit: I'd probably say yeah warlocks dps is higher but wizards dmg done is a lot higher because it's burst.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:55 am 

Prophet Izaach wrote:
I thought warlocks have the highest DPS (damage per second) because of their DoTs (damage over time). DPS accounts for the number of times you hit a mob, not how hard you hit it. Or am I wrong?

Well wizards hit so hard that they may have the highest DPS, warlock would still have the fastest i think.

Nice guide, looking well :) complete it

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:16 am 
Common Member

Really nice guide! :) I've just started a Wiz/Bard recently on Eos (with some Hungarian pals there) and this guide will be ideal for me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4fTxxzuu1I
An English song of Hungarian band Supernem. They rock! Check this out!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:52 am 
Banned User

Prophet Izaach wrote:

As far as I know, DPS(Damage Per Second): Total of damage dealt within a second.

In fact, warlocks are comparable to wizards at DPS. In that one second, they can do as much damage as a wizard, or almost (also depends on what skills the wizard is using). In the long run, wizards outdamage warlocks. I'll try to make that part of the guide a bit more clear, thanks :wink:

Post subject: Re: [GUIDE]The Full Wizard/Bard Guide {17/10/08} Updated!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:50 pm 
added to the big sticky in c&s

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:11 pm 
Valued Member

Quote:
Earth Shock:
Your most powerfull AoE until lvl 80, you'll need this skill in every single party you're in. It takes a little bit longer to cast than fire/ice nukes. Great looking skill aswell. get it.

* Most powerfull AoE till lv60, coz then u will get meteor. (think so)

Quote:
Some English grammar: The plural of "Staff" is "Staves" and not "Staffs". It's the same as a Knife and Knives.

* Didn't knew about the plural form :)

Quote:
Mana Drain:
I never happened to test this skill, but I've seen people using it... it's useless. You could be casting more usefull skills in the time you cast this.

* against chinese ints with snowshield very usefull IMO.

Very nice guide + nice screenshots.

HejsaN wrote:
SoleFressshhhh wrote:
Roses are red, Pickles are green. I like your legs, whats in between?

Just a penis, why do you ask?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:57 pm 
Frequent Member

Nice guide. But need a little correction.

Bard's skills :-

1. Booming chord/wave can hit 5 targets only.
2. Mana Switch : u get 50% of the dmg made by the target. But this skill got a limit. For example, at skill lvl 7, the max amount of mana u get is only 742. So, dont think u'll get 20k mp when ur target is hitting 40k on mobs.

That's about all, keep up the good work.

[Guide] Bards Explained

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:33 pm 
Common Member

Nice guide man! The thing I like about this guide is that u look at your wiz from different points of view.

Quote:
If you get attacked by a mob by accident, teleport away and run by the lure so the tank can just taunt it. Don't try to fight back because either you get killed, or either the tank tries to save you, leaving his lure behind which will get out of control, and you get the whole party killed.

OMG man u dont know how long ive been telling wizzys from lv 30-60 to not nuke mobs that break free from the tanks aggro. ANd that they should run abit/ fear. They better read this guide.

I only disagree with mana drought / ground rave. Mana drought in group pvp rocks. And well I played a while at a 88 wiz and I like ground rave at chasers, but its something personal lol.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:15 pm 
Banned User

Quote:
added to the big sticky in c&s

Thx :wink:

Quote:
* Most powerfull AoE till lv60, coz then u will get meteor. (think so)

yes I have forgot that one, I was thinking about the 5 hit AoE's. I'll change it. thanks.

Quote:
* against chinese ints with snowshield very usefull IMO.

Very nice guide + nice screenshots.

Quote:
only disagree with mana drought / ground rave. Mana drought in group pvp rocks. And well I played a while at a 88 wiz and I like ground rave at chasers, but its something personal lol.

You are right about mana drought against chinese snow shield, it does work. But actually it also depends on what cooldown that skill has got. Could you tell me the cooldown time, please?

Quote:
Nice guide. But need a little correction.

Bard's skills :-

1. Booming chord/wave can hit 5 targets only.
2. Mana Switch : u get 50% of the dmg made by the target. But this skill got a limit. For example, at skill lvl 7, the max amount of mana u get is only 742. So, dont think u'll get 20k mp when ur target is hitting 40k on mobs.

That's about all, keep up the good work.

Thanks for the information, I have updated it :wink: I've just posted that comment about Mana Switch you have there, couldn't find a better sentence for it.

Thanks for helping me correct the guide, any other corrections and arguments are welcome :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:09 am 
Common Member

Very nice guide.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:21 am 
Banned User

I AM IN 2 SCREENS!!!

Nice guide!

LvL 92 Warrior/Cleric Active Iris
LvL 81 Wizzard/Bard Active Iris
LvL 66 Spear Nuker Active Iris

Looking for 9D talismans pm me!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:54 am 
Banned User

Thx ^^ If anyone knows any good wizard videos, send me a link so I can add them to the guide.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:10 pm 
Frequent Member

nice guide guthix. i like the screenshots too :P

Guthix wrote:
Fire Blow:
100% PvP skill but it totaly owns at PvP. It's destructive ,it does more damage than fire bolt + ice bolt together. It's also great for unique hunting. The reason why it sucks for grinding is that once you cast it, you're stuck there for 9 seconds and if you get attacked by a mob meanwhile, you cant escape. You're most likely dead. Get this skill anyways, you'll need it.

Note: This skill can also be stopped while being cast, but your mob must be dead. (To be comfirmed)Also, it takes less time to cast than any other wizard nuke.

correction, your mob doesn't need to be dead. you can always click on another nuke and your wiz will cast it. or if you have no other targets, just case another skill like earth barrier or detect to QUICKLY cancel the skill.

it's quite useful in pvp too. most of the time i'll be using it against tanks and use detect to quickly stop and attack another player sneaking up on me :P

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:01 am 
Banned User

Corrected :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:21 am 

bryanvan wrote:
I AM IN 2 SCREENS!!!

Nice guide!

Rofl Same..! Haha.

And, Nice guide btw. Guthix. lolz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:51 pm 
Banned User

very cool guide i chose this build for my euro char its pretty cool.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:48 am 
Banned User

GothRickZ wrote:
bryanvan wrote:
I AM IN 2 SCREENS!!!

Nice guide!

Rofl Same..! Haha.

And, Nice guide btw. Guthix. lolz

:shock: It was the same pt in two screenies I think :P

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:04 am 
Hi, I'm New Here

Nice guild Guth Definetely a Sticky. I disagree with the skills you would learn and the aspects on pvp's though.

-Ground charge/rave. Best skills in Parties once you're over guards. Hits 5, 3sec Cd. Get you killed sometimes... but the overall performace is better. Think about the party and not only about urself.

-Root. Really useful in Pissing ppl off :D

-Lightning Impact. If you're staff is pimped enough, with LC on, you could probly 1hit a Wiz with that skill.

Pvp Section(Using a Pimped Char)

I trust when you say 1 hit int's with Chords, you mean they're not pimped. I've never been 1 hitted by a bard before when he's below lvl 70, mainly because i Do Not on LC when Pvping. A Wizzard Dmg is Enough to 1 Hit people W/o LCing.

With quite pimped equip, a lvl 65 pure int wiz could have about 5.7k hp. They can hardly be 1 shotted by anything other than another wiz in LC mode, which in these case use normal attack them once in staff mode, or chord them(they're in Lc and so they gona die), or a rouge.. Screw these classes...

In cases vsing a rouge, try use Earth Barrier, then lightning charge, following up with a meteor. If the rouge doesn't crit and 1 shot u, you win. If he does.. Go figure..

Wizards are extremely strong with Pimped equips, and in Ctf, always ask(if there is one) a cleric to give you Body Blessing and Soul Blessing. They increase your defences. With Pimped equip, and war buffs, wizards are unstopable in pvp provided (they Dont on LC, and spam Vigors and the right time.)

All these are proven. If in doubt's Pm me in Game.

Wizardan.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:23 am 
Banned User

Quote:
Nice guild Guth Definetely a Sticky. I disagree with the skills you would learn and the aspects on pvp's though.

-Ground charge/rave. Best skills in Parties once you're over guards. Hits 5, 3sec Cd. Get you killed sometimes... but the overall performace is better. Think about the party and not only about urself.

The 4 AoE's are already good enough... then ofc you can get ground charge but I strongly disagree with you, it's maybe effective but not as much as the other AoE's.

Quote:
-Root. Really useful in Pissing ppl off :D

Yea but when it comes down to serious fighting, it's useless.

Quote:
-Lightning Impact. If you're staff is pimped enough, with LC on, you could probly 1hit a Wiz with that skill.

it puts fear on people... and I never said skip it, I personaly think it's usefull.

Quote:
I trust when you say 1 hit int's with Chords, you mean they're not pimped. I've never been 1 hitted by a bard before when he's below lvl 70, mainly because i Do Not on LC when Pvping. A Wizzard Dmg is Enough to 1 Hit people W/o LCing.

No. A wizard damage isn't enough without LC. you won't 1 hit tankers and you won't 1 hit any str chinese, specially the ones wearing robes, without LC. Almost all the wizards pvp with LC so it's easy to kill them with chords. I think you and me have a very different view on wizards.

For me a wizard is supposed to be the one that turns LC on, runs into a mass pvp area and casts as much AoE's as possible before getting killed: the kamikaze wizard. And doing that you get a lot of kills

For you, a wizard should have as much physical defence as possible even if it implies in losing attack power (turning LC off, etc) but in group PvP you'll get killed just as easily and you'll get less kills. But you'd tend to survive more at 1 vs 1 than I do.

Hence the difference of an offensive player and a defensive player.

Quote:
With quite pimped equip, a lvl 65 pure int wiz could have about 5.7k hp. They can hardly be 1 shotted by anything other than another wiz in LC mode, which in these case use normal attack them once in staff mode, or chord them(they're in Lc and so they gona die), or a rouge.. Screw these classes...

I think you should try cape PvPing or going CTF more often... that's never true. You get killed easily even with all that tanking gear you talk about. Any warrior would have survived your nukes and killed you after. That kind of gameplay only works on other ints. Like I have stated on my guide, your goal is to do as much damage as possible and 1 shot before you get 1 shot. You strongly underestimate people's damage on you and you overestimate your own damage without LC.

Quote:
In cases vsing a rouge, try use Earth Barrier, then lightning charge, following up with a meteor. If the rouge doesn't crit and 1 shot u, you win. If he does.. Go figure..

By the time you cast earth barrier you're dead. Trust me. Best thing to do is to cast fire bolt/meteor/frozen spear straight away and not take risks.

Quote:
Wizards are extremely strong with Pimped equips, and in Ctf, always ask(if there is one) a cleric to give you Body Blessing and Soul Blessing. They increase your defences. With Pimped equip, and war buffs, wizards are unstopable in pvp provided (they Dont on LC, and spam Vigors and the right time.)

Use vigors, pimped gear, ask for buffs... I think that overall, you have in mind that a 1 vs 1 fight in which one of them is a wiz should be a long fight. I disagree. It will never be a long fight. You expect to get hit (use vigors get buffs bla bla): you're not supposed to get hit. Why insisting in tanking damage when you're not a tanker?

I just think we are different players.Post further arguments if possible, atm I disagree with you.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:49 am 
Hi, I'm New Here

Judging by the post above, i believe u have nvr played a pimped char be4.

As for Ground Rave.. U said the other 4 aoes are powerfull enough, i agreed with blizzard and earthquake being strongest but u cant say that lightning chain and meteor is stronger then Ground rave.

Lightning chain and Meteor only hits 3 targets, with lightning chain base dmg being extremely low, and meteor a massive dmg on 1 target, reducing greatly on 2 others in a small 5 M radius. I fail to see how these 2 skills are stronger then ground rave when ground rave is used properly in a good working pt, as ground rave hits 5, and properly placed(character standings), with good tanks, u wont die.

Rly... If you can't cats Earth Barrier when a rouge appears and before he's shot hits u... U got to play more games to imporve ur reaction time... I suggest CS...

As for Pvping part... just come to samar south, im normaly there at around 18.00 sro time. U'll see what i mean about wiz being able to 1 shot ppl around my lvl's and take quite a few hits when used properly. What you dont realise is, in Ctf, ppl tend to cast 1 skill at a wiz and change target, if you survive that hit, u could throw about 3 skills at him before he attacks you back. 3 skills w/o Lc is 100% able to kill others, unless ur wearing god knows what Npc gears with god knows what gap.

Thx

Wizardan.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:09 am 
Banned User

Quote:
Judging by the post above, i believe u have nvr played a pimped char be4.

No but I've killed people using such gear. If you have a good staff to match their equipement, you kill them easily. If they have a good weapon to kill you (and most high lvls have one) then it's gonna be 1 shot.

Quote:
As for Ground Rave.. U said the other 4 aoes are powerfull enough, i agreed with blizzard and earthquake being strongest but u cant say that lightning chain and meteor is stronger then Ground rave.

Lightning chain and Meteor only hits 3 targets, with lightning chain base dmg being extremely low, and meteor a massive dmg on 1 target, reducing greatly on 2 others in a small 5 M radius. I fail to see how these 2 skills are stronger then ground rave when ground rave is used properly in a good working pt, as ground rave hits 5, and properly placed(character standings), with good tanks, u wont die.

Imo taking risks isn't the best thing to do when you're a wiz, when you're already in risk everytime you party. But that's just my opinion.

Quote:
Rly... If you can't cats Earth Barrier when a rouge appears and before he's shot hits u... U got to play more games to imporve ur reaction time... I suggest CS...

...I have enough time to cast it, but while I charge up earth barrier, he has probably noticed me me and he'll be casting his skill at the same time I cast mine if not faster. Besides, it's a useless move because he'll still kill you even with earth barrier on. You suggested to use charged wind, let me remind you that charged wind has slightly less range than other wizard skills (and rogues are the kinds of range already). Judging by the post above, I guess you fight people who have no skills and take ages to react.
Quote:
As for Pvping part... just come to samar south, im normaly there at around 18.00 sro time. U'll see what i mean about wiz being able to 1 shot ppl around my lvl's and take quite a few hits when used properly. What you dont realise is, in Ctf, ppl tend to cast 1 skill at a wiz and change target, if you survive that hit, u could throw about 3 skills at him before he attacks you back. 3 skills w/o Lc is 100% able to kill others, unless ur wearing god knows what Npc gears with god knows what gap.

Thx

Wizardan.

I still don't understand why you insist in tanking damage.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:47 am 
Hi, I'm New Here

About the Earth Barrier part. When u cast earthbarrier, and the rouge hits u once, with pimped stuff, u can't die. the time it takes for the rouge to cast his 2nd skill, you should have returned a shot already, chances are, rouges wears La or Ha and they gonna get 1 shotted.

About Pt part... Seriously, make some friends, think about others instead of urself.

About the wiz tanking, i dint say that they could tank. All i said was in Ctf, people normaly cast "1" skill on you and move on. If you survive the 1st hit(with Lc on u wont), you gona have a huge advantage of them.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:15 am 
Banned User

Quote:
About the Earth Barrier part. When u cast earthbarrier, and the rouge hits u once, with pimped stuff, u can't die. the time it takes for the rouge to cast his 2nd skill, you should have returned a shot already, chances are, rouges wears La or Ha and they gonna get 1 shotted.

1 shot the rogue without LC? doubt it. He'd 1 shot you as much. You talk about pimped gear like if it felt from the sky, it doesn't. Same thing as if I said "witha sosun set you'll survive" yea but where are you gonna get the sun set? I made the guide as if everyone had the same kind of gear, equal pimped gear or NPC gear. Ofc someone with a full sosun set will win over someone with an NPC ste but that's called an advantage on money and not something you get from your build.
Besides, rogues can KD. They'll probably shot you with KD the first time and then kill you.

Quote:
About Pt part... Seriously, make some friends, think about others instead of urself.

What's the link of "make some friends" with the party playing? Other than an attempt of flaming I don't see how that argument makes the guide any better or opens any discussion on any part of it. I'm fine for discussing skills and PvP tips if we actually learn from each other 'and I do like to discuss builds :wink: ) but if you're down to flame baiting I stop discussing here.

The partying part is big. I'd like to know where in that part you "wouldn't make friends". If it's that note about how you shouldn't try to save others cause you'd just get killed, I already fixed it cause it did look a bit selfish the way it was wrote. Now I mean if you didn't actually read the guide and threw that comment in just to flame bait, you might aswell not post. I'm open to critisism and civilised discussion about the build... not to flaming.

Quote:
About the wiz tanking, i dint say that they could tank. All i said was in Ctf, people normaly cast "1" skill on you and move on. If you survive the 1st hit(with Lc on u wont), you gona have a huge advantage of them.

Yes but without LC, other than ints you don't have the ability to 1 shot... Theres many arguments about "1 shotting" and "avoid getting hit at the first place" in my guide.
Form me you shouldn't get hit. If I get hit then it means I failed and I just learn from it how to avoid it next time. Kill before you get killed, that's the key of succes for a wizard :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:40 am 
Loyal Member

I wouldn't turn on LC myself if I don't have warrior buffs. Still, always a bit risky doing so if you don't have additional str from a cleric. You will get one shotted by absolute damage from the very same if you are pure int.

6x

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:53 pm 
Banned User

Alfred wrote:
I wouldn't turn on LC myself if I don't have warrior buffs. Still, always a bit risky doing so if you don't have additional str from a cleric. You will get one shotted by absolute damage from the very same if you are pure int.

In parties, everyone will shout at you when you're not using LC. At PvP t depends if you're fighting 1 vs 1 or group. At 1 vs 1 it's indeed better to not turn it on. In groups, you should have a few tanks to save you and you should just stay away and AoE the crowds.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:07 pm 
Loyal Member

Guthix wrote:
Alfred wrote:

In parties, everyone will shout at you when you're not using LC. At PvP t depends if you're fighting 1 vs 1 or group. At 1 vs 1 it's indeed better to not turn it on. In groups, you should have a few tanks to save you and you should just stay away and AoE the crowds.
Ah yeah, was talking about group pvp. Always use it when party grinding.

To me its really about the situation. If you are dealing with a bunch of chinese, LC can be turned on without any hesitation. Euros are more of a concern and I usually keep mine off untill I know what I am up against. The tank buffs won't help much if someone can hit you with over 7k absolute damage :P.

Anyways, a great guide!

6x

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:47 pm 
Banned User

Alfred wrote:
Guthix wrote:
Alfred wrote:

Ah yeah, was talking about group pvp. Always use it when party grinding.

To me its really about the situation. If you are dealing with a bunch of chinese, LC can be turned on without any hesitation. Euros are more of a concern and I usually keep mine off untill I know what I am up against. The tank buffs won't help much if someone can hit you with over 7k absolute damage :P.

Anyways, a great guide!

I agree on how it depends of the situation :wink: Without LC on, you'll resist all the absolute damage skills. You won't with LC on.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:23 pm 

Really nice guide, everything a beginner (or an experienced player) would need.
Keep it up! ^^