Silkroad Online Forums

A community forum for the free online game Silkroad Online. Discuss Silkroad Online, read up on guides, and build your character and skills.

Faq Search Members Chat  Register Profile Login

All times are UTC

Post subject: A Pirate's Guide to Building a Str/Glaive
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:56 am 
Valued Member

I am now on an official hiatus and it doesn't look like I'll be coming back to silkroad or the forums. By all means, use the guide, but don't use this guide as your only source of info. Ask around, and read other guides as this may become outdated with time. Thanks, Megaman.

Intro:

This is a thread that explains in detail all the skills and recommendations into build a str/glaive- a build that is efficient in pve (grinding) and excels in 1v1 pvp. A str/glaive is built to tank, and can sustain massive amounts of damage while it's own damage output is enough to hold its own.

The Basics

This build is designed on the 150 level cap. Eventually, our silkroad will grow to the point that one is able to achieve level 150. Although joymax designed it so that one must max out 2 trees (1 weapon and 1 force, hence the 300 mastery limit) we can still effectively utilize three trees to full power. If another skilltree is added, we can not acheive the perfect 150-81-69 skill mastery levels.

Note: This glaive build uses only the Fire (for imbue and defence/attack buffs) Lightning (For speed buffs and supplementary defence buffs) and heuksal (duh) skilltrees.

Gear
There are three choices to choose from:

From left to right: Armour, Protector, Garment

There are numerous effects that are added on when you complete a full set of certain types of protection:

Garment: 20% increase to speed, 20% decrease to the consumption of MP (mana)

Protector: 10% increase to speed, 10% decrease to the consumption of MP (mana)

Armour, at this moment has no added bonuses.

Garment has the highest magical defence, lowest physical defence.
Protector has medium magical and physical defence
Armour has the highest physical defence, lowest magical defence.

Here are the numerous types of glaives you will use. 1st-9th degree glaives from left to right.

I would recommend garment, because you are pure strength, and have low MP or mana, and the consumption decrease of mana can save you on mp pots. Once you get to the caves, you might want to think of using protector, because they are mostly physical mobs, but the opening of taklamakan may sway that decision.

Here is our aim at our current level cap. (80)

And; here is our aim at the max level cap. (150)

The Skills:

Now that we've gone through the more basic notes, we can examine the more advanced options.

This is a compilation of all the skill trees that we need to max.

Heuksal

This is your main skilltree, and it will be used and abused. Below are the skills and reasons why you should use them.

Fanning Spear series:
This skill is great. The first and last books boost magical absorption and the second book boosts blocking ratio to magical attacks. You can max it if you have extra skillpoints, but I would recommend leaving it at level 1 since book3 maxed is much more effective.

Soul Spear series
The bread and butter of both pvp and pve. This skill induces a 'stun' effect in which the probability is recorded in it's skill description. This skill is what you base your whole attack off. When fighting INT builds your level or slightly lower/higher, an early stun/crit with soulspear can very much win it for you in the end. A stun completely cancels an attack the enemy has in progress as well as keeping them completely immobile and unable to attack. A successful stun is signified by a tornado like icon or the target turning a slight shade of yellow.

Ghost Spear series
This skill goes extremely well after a soul-spear stun or crit. When fighting ints my level or slightly higher, a soul spear crit and ghost spear would kill them. In later levels, the skill has the ability to knock-back, a useful effect that cancels attacks and transfers the target a specific length backwards, again, the distance can be found in the skill book menu, with the knock-back percentage.

Chain Spear series
The usefulness of these skills in pvp are questionable. Most users tend to drop this skill after they gain the second book of soul spear and simply overlap the first and second books of it. In later levels, the chains can prove useful in pve, but chain spears shura and dragon expend your durability at a faster rate than other chains, and similarly, other skills. There are certain level restrictions that are in place concerning the chains.

maxing out 'Chain spear tiger' lets you gain access to the level 47 chains, 'Chain spear nachal' and 'Chain spear shura'. Maxing out 'Chain spear nachal' opens up 'chain spear pluto' at level 69 and maxing out 'Chain spear shura' opens up 'Chain spear dragon' at level 69.

Flying dragon series
This skill is very, very useful in pve, and, at some times, pvp too. This ranged attack is used mainly to draw a mob within melee range to you, so you can begin your melee attacks. This skill is very useful while mobbing, to begin attack on another mob, or finish off a mob with low HP that is behind you.

Cheolsam force
A passive skill that increases HP. Max this skill, it's what sets glaive users apart from other builds: More maximum possible HP.

Fire

This is your secondary skilltree, and contains your imbue, magical defence buff, and physical defence buff and passive. This tree also contains the fire-shield skill, which when maxed, can greatly reduce the effect of abnormal statuses, such as freezing/frostbite.

Fire force (imbue)
This is your imbue, and it will be used and abused. Fighting without your imbue, no matter if you're pure strength, will lower your damage. Make sure you keep this skill up-to-date, as it will be needed in both pvp and pve.

Fire shield series
This skill is greatly useful in pvp, and pve. The decription is mistaken. The points of abnormal status it says to reduce is actually the percentage of abnormal status it reduces. When maxed out, it gives 78% status reduce, which requires only 22% status reduce from jewelery of the various abnormal categories: freezing and frostbite, burn, shock, zombie and poison.

Flame body series
This skill increases you're physical damage. As a strength glaiver, this skill is vital. Coupled with the passive, this makes the fire tree absolutely vital for any strength build.

Fire protection series
This skill dilutes any magical damage directed at you. If you wear garment, your magical defence is greatly increased. Particularly useful for fighting nukers in pvp, and fighting magical based mobs in pve.

Flame devil series (passive)
This passive, combined with the flame body series increases your physical damage aspect. A must.

Lightning

This skill tree is mainly used for the grasswalk (speed) buff, and the parry ratio and magical attack buffs and passive are icing on the cake.

Piercing force series
This buff increases your magical damage. Most people would probrbaly think "It's magical attack, I'm pure strength. Useless." That is where they are wrong. This buff increases your imbue power, although the damage increase is low, it adds 100-200 damage at level 40. Max this buff.

Wind-walk series
The first book of this skill is very useful at lower levels, and coupled with garment, greatly increases your running speed. The second book teleports your character short distances via the direction of your mouse pointer. The third book works much in the same way as the first, but the speed increase is gratly increased.

Concentration series
This skill increases your parry ratio. Parry ration makes the damage directed at you hit more to its lower points. Effectively, this buff reduces damage onto you.

Heaven's force series
This passive skill works much in the same way as the concentration buff. Parry ratio is added at cumulative levels, and adds nicely onto your characters stats.

Well, that does it for this guide. I am completely open to any criticism (nice criticism :D ) because this guide took a whole chunk out of my time to write and I dont want it to suck. Eventually, in the future, I will add more additions to the guide, and over time I will fix those dam typos :banghead:

Thanks 8)

If you have any questions or criticism, feel free to post it! I will be reviewing this thread constantly, and I will answer any questions you have to the fullest of my ability. ASK AWAY!

Last edited by Megaman on Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:00 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:02 pm 
Banned User

Dont have time to read it. :P
Looks very nice, prolly worth a sticky. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:39 pm 
Frequent Member

Awesome Guide :D
Im sure u mus hav put in a lot of time to get tis done.... 8)

Quick Easy Fix Turn off your computer, beat it with a hammer. If it turns back on when prompted, turn it back off and do again until it doesn't come on again. Once that is taken care of, go get a book and learn about computers.

NVDIA Drivers
BSOD
Download anything for FREE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:08 pm 
Hi, I'm New Here

great guide man ill deffintally start a new character thanks to you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:09 am 

looks like you put a lot of effort into it :P Good guide, although some things such as the pictures of armor are not really all that necessary. One other thing: if you only have a level 81 imbue at level 150, won't your damage be a little low? Just a thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:18 am 
Advanced Member

very nice man.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:25 am 

nice guide man!! good work :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:23 am 
Valued Member

Porpoise wrote:
looks like you put a lot of effort into it :P Good guide, although some things such as the pictures of armor are not really all that necessary. One other thing: if you only have a level 81 imbue at level 150, won't your damage be a little low? Just a thought.

This is meant to be a beginner's guide, that way they can recognise the different types of armour.

Pure str at level 150 would not suffer from having 81 fire. Most of glaives damage comes from the weapon - therefore keeping 150 weapon skill. The small damage bonus that is gained from the imbue can be risen or lowered due to preference - eg: this build is based off the 150/90/60 build. I have raised lightning to 69 to gain all possible benefit from the speed/parry buffs. It is impossible to raise fire any further without completely (or significantly) lowering lightning, which then lowers your speed (useful for pvp - jobbing) and parry ratio.

In the end, it's just 3 trees that can must be taken, and having to balance them out to comply with the 300 mastery limit sucks.

Thanks all who said thanks :D

IguanaRampage wrote:
very nice man.

Thanks! I tried to make a guide that complimented yours - I wanted to create one that was made in the same template and overall layout except for str-glaives, because there aren't any of those around. If it wasn't for yours, I probrably wouldn't have made mine.

^RESPECT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:38 am 
Addicted Member

nice, time to gather all str guides and spam sin for some sticky.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:54 am 

Hello, very nice guide. Very explaining and good :) Im also pure str/fire/glavie, just like this guide.

And it seems like Im going in the right direction (just as this guide suggests). Although - I have also added the "Chain spear series". And I added the "Flame wave arrow" under Fire, I know this attacks sucks for pure str, but I really want to have "Flame wave wide" when reaching lvl 56, because this is the coolest attack in the game :D

Ps. I use all the buffs you suggest aswell, although I learned NOT to buff the "Fire shield series" now, because Im fighting Bunwangs. Ds.

Keep up the good work!

Athens (inactive)
Level: 46 | Build: Pure INT [Fire/Light/Cold/Bicheon] (farming)
Level: 27 | Build: Pure STR [Rouge/Cleric]

Last edited by streetrobban on Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:05 pm 
Casual Member

great guide. Just a quick question, what is your reason to choose Light over Ice?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:17 pm 
Valued Member

sroaddict wrote:
great guide. Just a quick question, what is your reason to choose Light over Ice?

Hi.

The reason i chose light over ice is because:

Ice: physical defence buff, physical defence passive, novas

Light: mag. damage buff, speed buffs, concentration buffs and passive.

I my opinion, every single build needs light. Without light you are slow, cant manage chasing down other builds, and have lowered parry ratio. You will severly suffer in job pvp chasing down people or running yourself.

After the cap is raised past 90, I think Ice will certainly become redundant.

^RESPECT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:34 pm 
Hi, I'm New Here

That was a ton of help. I think its time for another dude character.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:41 pm 
Hi, I'm New Here

In what order should I Lvl the masterys I lvled up my fire on accident(kinda). I just started playin SRO. Im lv7 STR44 INT26 SP64 FireMastery5

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:50 pm 
Valued Member

kwolf wrote:
In what order should I Lvl the masterys I lvled up my fire on accident(kinda). I just started playin SRO. Im lv7 STR44 INT26 SP64 FireMastery5

It depends on which paths you want to take regarding SP management. It doesn't really matter what order you level them up, just try and space out a gap (eg: character level 7 with fire 5, then charcter level 8 a fire 5) or SP farm.

^RESPECT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:00 pm 
Advanced Member

MegaMan wrote:

Thanks! I tried to make a guide that complimented yours - I wanted to create one that was made in the same template and overall layout except for str-glaives, because there aren't any of those around. If it wasn't for yours, I probrably wouldn't have made mine.

:shock: :shock:
:D So both of us indirectly thank cuchulainn for our inspiration then :P .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:45 pm 
Hi, I'm New Here

Whats a gap??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:54 pm 
Valued Member

kwolf wrote:
Whats a gap??

Whenn you keep a space between your charcter level and highest mastery level - a person who is level 27 whose highest mastery is 25 would have a 2 level gap, because 27-25=2; hence 2 level gap.

^RESPECT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:04 am 
Loyal Member

gj:) i always like guides with images

Quit all games...but i still love you gamers <3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:34 am 

excellent Guide

But where is the Cold Skills , To my knowledge i should max the

2nd one

and the last one (passive)

---

and max the passive of Force (which i dont know what is the difference between it and the passive of the Heuksal )

---

another thing the points of sp added to Fanning Spear series is a total waste of SP ...

---

And as for the Chain Spear series ;

should max the 1st and 3rd and the 5th one .. if you want to save SP

---

It Still a very good Guide :)

Thnx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:52 am 
Valued Member

Aizor wrote:
excellent Guide

But where is the Cold Skills , To my knowledge i should max the

2nd one

and the last one (passive)

---

and max the passive of Force (which i dont know what is the difference between it and the passive of the Heuksal )

---

another thing the points of sp added to Fanning Spear series is a total waste of SP ...

---

And as for the Chain Spear series ;

should max the 1st and 3rd and the 5th one .. if you want to save SP

---

It Still a very good Guide :)

Thnx

cold--> not enough mastery levels for 4 trees after the 90 cap - red the guide again
force-> useless, just gives mp, waste of so and mastery levels
fanning spear--> reccently updated, have you been living under a rock for the last month or two? :D
chain spear--> I was a bit fuzzy on the chains, I didnt recommend it nor did I recommend against it. Whatever floats yer boat I guess :P

^RESPECT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:55 pm 
Veteran Member

Very detailed guide. It helped me planned out my str glavier. However, i have 7 masteries on cold, so is it still okay for me to follow the guide with 300-7=293 masteries left?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:41 pm 
Elite Member

meeehhhm 150 cap, years, decades, ages. Focus 90 plix.

<< :giveup:>>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:27 pm 
Valued Member

woutR wrote:
meeehhhm 150 cap, years, decades, ages. Focus 90 plix.

I thought of that too, but planning on 90 cap would mean i'd probrably be tempted to take 4 trees, and when the cap inevitably raises, then there wouldn't be enough masteries unless you delevel a whole tree which would bankrupt you

@BakaFish yes, you can. Once you reach level 20 you can take a quest that allows you to delvl your mastery/skills.

^RESPECT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:47 pm 

Overall I agree completely with most of what you have said here in this guide, except for the level suggestions of the masteries for the 300 SP cap. I also might disagree with the chain attack, but overall a good guide.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:57 am 

Bravo, this is what im doing now :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:54 am 

Yeah once again, well done with the effort you've put in.

I'm pretty sure it's going to help characters just starting, and also for higher lvl people.

What gear are you using at the moment? I'm using garments, mainly because it ups my mag. and helps me with using wind walks.

Thanks for the pointers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:27 am 
Valued Member

Dorlingz wrote:
Yeah once again, well done with the effort you've put in.

I'm pretty sure it's going to help characters just starting, and also for higher lvl people.

What gear are you using at the moment? I'm using garments, mainly because it ups my mag. and helps me with using wind walks.

Thanks for the pointers!

I'm using garments, for a few reasons:

1. It gimps nukes, mainly when I fight nukers my level they never hit above a quarter of my health (that may be becuase i'm wearing sos garms, but.. shhh :D ) High mag. defence, is what i'm getting at.

2. The run speed - Very useful for faster grinding time and chasing down runners in pvp/jobbing

3. They look really cool 8)

4. The -20% mp consumption is very helpful, and when i use med pots I can set mp at 45% without ever going below 20%.
-BUT-

If you choose to grind in the caves 60+ (high spawn rate) I would wear protector for grinding, because mostly all mobs in the cave are physical based, and therefore you'll take a severe beating without at least some physical defence. Grab a set of garms for jobbing/pvp, though.

^RESPECT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:48 am 

W3GAN wrote:
Dont have time to read it. :P
Looks very nice, prolly worth a sticky. :)

Lazyness ftw, look at it, had some nice pics, good for me lol

"If Pac-Man had affected us as kids, we’d all be running around in dark rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:29 am 
Advanced Member

MegaMan wrote:
If you choose to grind in the caves 60+ (high spawn rate) I would wear protector for grinding, because mostly all mobs in the cave are physical based, and therefore you'll take a severe beating without at least some physical defence. Grab a set of garms for jobbing/pvp, though.

nachals... really high spawn rates but the mag atks can pwn even glaives in garms...