Silkroad Online Forums

A community forum for the free online game Silkroad Online. Discuss Silkroad Online, read up on guides, and build your character and skills.

Faq Search Members Chat  Register Profile Login

All times are UTC

Did this guide help you?
Yes 69%  69%  [ 150 ]
Sort Of 19%  19%  [ 41 ]
No 12%  12%  [ 25 ]
Total votes : 216
 Post subject: [GUIDE] The Complete Wizards Guide v1.4 *Completed 2-29-08*
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:26 am 
Common Member

Table of Contents
1. Guide Notes
-----1.1 Motivation
-----1.2 Version Log
-----1.3 About Me
2. About The Class
-----2.1 Why A Wizard?
-----2.2 Builds/Armor/Weapons
-----2.3 Skills
3. Partying
-----3.1 General Party Make Up And Operation
-----3.2 Your Spot In The Party: Physically and Effectively.
4. Subclasses
-----4.1 Cleric
-----4.2 Bard
5. PvP/Jobbing
-----5.1 Fighting Against Other Classes
-----5.2 Jobbing Tips and Tricks
6. Legal-ish Stuff

1. Guide Notes

**1.1 Motivation**
Well, I suppose I should start out by saying why I'm writing this. The main incentive for me to write this was because I was just scrolling up and down the forums, looked at a few topics and I came across another wizards guide. No offense to the person who made it, but I found it to be sloppy, hard to follow, and, overall, not as informative as I would have liked it to have been. Another reason for me to write this is because I just want to... I've always felt like writing a guide for something, but I could never find something that I would be willing to put the time and effort into. But now, I think I've found something, so I'm gonna give this a shot.

**1.2 Version Log**
Version 1.0 - Added the basics, section one and most of section two.
Version 1.1 -Added the About Me section, made some things more aesthetically pleasing, finished up the Skills section.
Version 1.11 -Added some pictures because of popular demand.
Version 1.12 -This update I tried to fix some of the errors that I made. No big changes though
Version 1.2 -Added the Partying and PvP/Jobbing sections.

**1.3 About Me**
As it has been pointed out, some of the things that I say in here are affected directly by my character, so in here, I'll talk about that and my previous experience with SRO.

Don't let that post count fool you. I used to be a daily visitor to this site and had many posts under my belt... unfortunately, that account vanished somehow, and here I am, on the nub account. As for my actual SRO characters, I had nearly a year of experience on Troy as a bowman and then I took a break for a bit. When Euro came back out, I decided to give SRO one more go, and I'm glad I did. Right now, I'm a 80 Wizard on Odin server. Everything was hand grinded by me... I've got plenty of experience and I know what I'm talking about, I've actually played my character.

Hmm, I guess that's about it... I'll add more if it somehow becomes necessary.

2. About The Class

**2.1 Why A Wizard?**
Well, it seems that you've already decided on being a wizard for whatever reason, so I don't feel that I should have to try to 'convince' you to pick a wizard. My job now is to make you feel good about your decision :P

So, what can a wizard do? Well, first of all, when you've built it correctly and your using the correct skills, as far as I have been able to test, you one hit any class your level, [assuming they don't block] period. Also, however, you get one-hit by any class...except warriors... Pretty much as a wizard your job is to get in, do your job, and get out without anyone attacking you first... This may sound difficult, but there are lots of little tips and tricks that I have to help you.In parties, the deal is pretty much the same. You just want to sit back, nuke and avoid getting hit, while the tanks tank the mobs. I'll get more into things like this later on in the guide, however. For now, all you need to know is that you do godly damage but you can't tank shit.

**2.2 Builds/Armor/Weapons**
Builds:
Pretty much you have two options for builds, either go pure int, or throw some strength in there. Since this is mostly opinion based, I'll just present the pros/cons of each one, then I'll present my personal opinion.

Pure Int: You put every single point into INT. The pros: You hit harder (I'll explain later), you have a little bit more mag. defense, and you have more MP than a hybrid. Cons: Less phys. defense, less HP.

Hybrid: This is a bit harder to work out. Before you start adding stat points, you should decide on a mag balance you want to keep [like 85% or 90%] then, when you level, take off everything giving you extra stats, then add int till you get your desired %, then add all the rest to str. Pros: More HP than pure ints, more physical defense. Cons: Hits for less than a pure int, and has less mag. defense and mana.

My opinion: I personally have chosen to go at a 90% hybrid, and I'll explain why: First of all, you get more HP. I have about 400 more MP than a full int my level. Although 400 may sound negligible, I can't even count the amount of times I've survived with 100 or less HP. Without that extra HP, I would have died. Also, if you think that you hit for a lot less than someone who was pure, think again. I've tested it, and so far, I've hit just as much, if not more than a pure at the same level. Now, this may be because of weapon or equipment, so I'm further looking into it and I'll get back to you when I'm done testing.

Wizard Damage

Armor
Well, you’ve got two options. The first is Robe, the second is Light Armor.
8th Degree Robes

Pros: 20% extra speed and 20% less MP consumption. Extra magical defense.
Cons: Less physical defense than other protector types.
Opinion: Everyone should start with these and go at least until the beginning of 8d. After that, depending upon what you think you need, you should switch to Light Armor. By the way, if you choose a bard sub-class, you're stuck with robes.

8th Degree Light Armor

Pros: 10% extra speed and 10% less MP consumption. Average physical and magical defense.
Cons: Slightly less physical and magical defense than other protector types.
Opinion: After 8d, I personally would recommend that you switch to Light Armor. I don’t know if anyone else has experienced the same thing, but I find myself just getting torn apart by pure strength Chinese glaivers and bowmen. If you can manage to keep your sub of Bard or Cleric at the same level of your Wizard mastery, then I think you should switch. There will be more on this in the subclasses section. This is only available if you chose a cleric sub.

Weapons
Staff... love it, cherish it, have it's babies. You and it are one.

8th Degree Staff

**2.3 Skills**
Alright, now here's where we get to the meat of the guide... this will probably be the longest portion. The format will be: A picture of the skill and name, linked to a page with more specific stats; a short description; my opinion; then a short ‘required, optional or skip’ title. Now that that’s out of the way, let's get going.

Image - Wizard Mastery

ImageNatural Spirit Series
Image Image Image Image- All of them: (Lvl 4)
Explanation: They all add a certain % mag attack to their respective elemental attack (4% more for each level).
Opinion: Great to have 80% more damage by the time these are maxed, get em'.

**Required**

ImageForce Mentalist Series
Image - Skill 1: Intelligence (Lvl 10)
Explanation: Decreases mana usage by a certain % (3% to start, then 2% more per level).
Opinion: The more mana you have, the more nukes you can get off and the fewer pots you use, get it.

**Required**

Image - Skill 2: Life Control (Lvl 20)
Explanation: At the cost of 50% of your HP, you get a significant magical attack boost.
Opinion: Great for when you are fighting a party giant, or when you need that extra edge to one-shot that tank.

**Required**

Image - Skill 3: Magic Bound (Lvl 40)
Explanation: Increases the range you can attack from (1.0m per level).
Opinion: The farther you can be from enemies while nuking the better; get it.

**Required**

Image - Skill 4: Life Turnover (Lvl 72)
Explanation: Same as Life Control only stronger.
Opinion: Same as Life Control. By the way, you can have LT without having LC, so I'd de-level LC as soon as you get this.

**Required**

ImageEarth Mentalist Series
Image - Skill 1: Ground Charge (Lvl 4)
Explanation: Shoots rocks 5m from your body in all directions.
Opinion: Chances are, if your enemy is within 5m, you're already dead, not to mention that the next Earth nuke is much better and it is ranged.

**Optional**

Image - Skill 2: Root (Lvl 16)
Explanation: Puts bind status on your enemy making it so they cannot move. They can attack however. Also, once they are attacked with a magical attack they will be unbound. [80% success rate]
Opinion: If you have enough time to put bind on your enemy and you're not dead yet, then the enemy isn't even close to a threat to you. You should take this time nuking them, rather than binding.

**Skip**

Image - Skill 3: Earth Shock (Lvl 20)
Explanation: Creates an earthquake in a 10m radius from your enemy. Has a 30% chance of putting Dull status on your enemy [slows movements by 30%].
Opinion: This is the highest damage-dealing nuke you get 'till 60, it is AoE [Area of Effect] and it can slow your enemy at the same time. I can't do justice to its awesomeness in text. Get it, and you'll see.

**Required**

Image - Skill 4: Earth Barrier (Lvl 30)
Explanation: Creates a barrier of rock around you and your party increasing physical damage absorption. [30% to start, add 4% per level. Lasts 20 seconds].
Opinion: Great for when you see a huge pull coming and you need that extra defense. Also great for when you come up against a warrior.

**Required**

Image - Skill 5: Ground Rave (Lvl 60)
Explanation: Same as Ground Charge.
Opinion: Same as Ground Charge.

**Optional**

Image - Skill 6: Mesh Root (Lvl 76)
Explanation: Same as Root, but this has an AoE range of 5m from your target.
Opinion: Same as Root.

**Skip**

Image - Skill 7: Earth Quake (Lvl 80)
Explanation: Same as Earth Shock.
Opinion: Same as Earth Shock. Looks uber-sexy.

**Required**

Image - Skill 8: Earth Fence (Lvl 80)
Explanation: Same as Earth Barrier.
Opinion: Same as Earth Barrier.

**Required**

Image - Cold Mentalist Series

Image - Skill 1: Ice Bolt (Lvl 4)
Explanation: Shoots a single icicle at your target [40% chance of frostbite, 10% chance of freezing].
Opinion: Great at lower levels, and it tides you over for the lvl 60 ice nuke. Get it.
**Required**

Image - Skill 2: Mana Drain (Lvl 16)
Explanation: Lowers the targets MP regeneration [30% chance of Combustion]. Does not work on monsters.
Opinion: This attack is fast enough that you can sometimes manage to work it in in between your nukes. This works great against the pure str Chinese noobs with mana shield…after casting this, tell them to kiss their shield good-bye.

**Optional**

Image - Skill 3: Snow Wind (Lvl 20)
Explanation: Creates a blizzard 10m surrounding your target [80% chance of frostbite, 20% chance of freezing].
Opinion: This will be your primary ice nuke, it does damage, it's AoE, and it has a good chance of slowing your enemy down. Get it.

**Required**

Image - Skill 4: Invisible (Lvl 30)
Explanation: Turns yourself invisible so that only those in your party can see you [60 second to begin with, goes up about 15 seconds per level].
Opinion: VERY helpful while jobbing and making your way through the caves. Pretty much, get it, or be prepared to die.

**Required**

Image - Skill 5: Frozen Spear (Lvl 60)
Explanation: Shoots three icicles at your enemy [10% chance of freezing, 40% chance of frosbite].
Opinion: This is the next step up from your Ice Bolt, helpful while jobbing to kill someones horse and then them with just one skill. Get it. There is somewhat fo a glitch with this skill, if you click another attack while you're casting this one, it will cut this cast time short, and launch the other one, but still do the same damage.

**Required**

Image - Skill 6: Mana Drought (Lvl 76)
Explanation: Same as Mana Drain, but this is 8m AoE.
Opinion: Same as Mana Drain. You don't need Mana Drain in order to get this, so I'd de-level Mana Drain if you've got it.

**Optional**

Image - Skill 7: Blizzard (Lvl 80)
Explanation: Same as Snow Wind, but the AoE is 15m, not 10m.
Opinion: Same as Snow Wind.

**Required**

Image - Skill 8: Crystal Invisible (Lvl 80)
Explanation: Makes you and your groupmates invisible for 30 seconds.
Opinion: Not only does it sound cool, but it will be very helpful while jobbing.

**Required**

Image - Fire Mentalist Series

Image - Skill 1: Fire Bolt (Lvl 4)
Explanation: Shoots a fireball at your target. Does the most damage of the lvl 4 skills.
Opinion: This is THE skill you will get as a wizard. You will use it the most out of every spell you get. Theres no other way around it, you NEED this.
**Required**

Image - Skill 2: Fire Trap (Lvl 16)
Explanation: Lays a trap invisible to your enemies. When the enemy walks over it, it deals great damage.
Opinion: This is prolly one of the coolest, yet most underused skills in Euro, I'll get into how and when to use it later, but trust me, you want this.

**Required**

Image - Skill 3: Fire Blow (Lvl 20)
Explantion: A flamethrower-like attack. It hits 7 times over the course of 9 seconds and does decent damage. Also has AoE damage to those surrounding the fire spout.
Opinion: Alright, I’ve played around with it a bit… good things are that its fast and that it does more damage over the same amount of time as other nukes strung together. Do whatever with this skill, if you feel like getting it, go ahead, you won’t miss much if you don’t.

**Optional**

Image - Skill 4: Detect (Lvl 30)
Explanation: Just a quick detect spell that you can throw up if someone is invisible. THIS ONLY WORKS ON INVISIBLE, NOT STEALTH. This means you can only detect other wizards, not rogues.
Opinion: Marginally helpful while jobbing; enough so that I'd get it if I were you.

**Required**

Image - Skill 5: Meteor (Lvl 60)
Explanation: Sends a meteor down on your enemy. Has an AoE of 3m and does amazing damage.
Opinion: Say hello to your new damage dealing nuke. That's what this is; pure damage orgasm. Quite simply, if you don't get this you're insane...get it.

**Required**

Image - Skill 6: Lava Trap (Lvl 70)
Explanation: Same deal as Fire Trap, but more damage.
Opinion: Same as Fire Trap.

**Required**

Image - Skill 7: Salamander Blow (Lvl 80)
Explanation: Same as Fire Blow.
Opinion: Same as Fire Blow.

**Optional**

Image - Skill 8: Sprawl Detect (Lvl 80)
Explanation: Same as Detect, only the detect radius is 20m and it lasts for 20 seconds.
Opinion: Same as Detect.

**Required**

Image - Lightning Mentalist Series

Image - Skill 1: Lightning Bolt (Lvl 4)
Explanation: Similar to the Chinese Lightning nuke, it bounds from enemy to enemy and has a transfer distance of 10m.
Opinion: Alright... it may seem useless at lower levels, but at higher levels, it starts to show it's use, especially while jobbing. This is just another one of your useful AoE attacks; I'd get it.
**Required**

Image - Skill 2: Lightning Shock (Lvl 16)
Explanation: Basically just puts fear on an enemy, when they have fear they can't attack you [80% chance].
Opinion: This is more helpful than bind in that, no one can attack you, regardless of their range. Also, if you need it to get away from something, you'll probably fear it and you can make your escape. It's also fun in PvP. This is optional because some people may just not want it, I would suggest it though.

**Optional**

Image - Skill 3: Charged Wind (Lvl 20)
Explanation: A weak lightning attack that hits 6 times and has an 80% chance of knockback each time.
Opinion: Very useful when grinding and your healer gets lots of mobs on them, just throw that spell up and it will knock 5 of them back. Just for it's knockback, it's getting the 'required'.

**Required**

Image - Skill 4: Teleport (Lvl 30)
Explanation: Teleports you 10m [to begin with] forward [2.5m more per level].
Opinion: Looks cool and helps out when trying to get somewhere quickly.

**Required**

Image - Skill 5: Chain Lightning (Lvl 40)
Explanation: Same as Lightning Bolt.
Opinion: Same as Lightning Bolt.

**Required**

Image - Skill 6: Lightning Impact (Lvl 76)
Explanation: Same as Lightning Shock, but this one is AoE 12.0m.
Opinion: Same as Lightning Shock.

**Optional**

Image - Skill 7: Charged Squall (Lvl 80)
Explanation: Same as Charged Wind.
Opinion: Same as Charged Wind.

**Required**

Image - Skill 8: Aerial Teleport (Lvl 80)
Explanation: Same as Teleport.
Opinion: Same as Teleport.

**Required**

3. Partying

**3.1 Party Make-Up and Operation**
So, you’ve gotten all the right skills, you’ve got all the armor, the good weapons, and now you’re in a party. You’re all set now… right? Wrong. No matter how good a player you are, even if you’re as good as you will be by the end of this, you are nothing if you don’t have a good party. So, in an effort to help you get in, or make, a good party, I’ve typed up this mini-section to try and help you out.

The Basic Make-Up: A party needs some things for it to be effective; a cleric, a bard, some wizards and some tanks. Not to offend anyone, but notice how I didn’t include any rogues or warlocks. I generally think of them as a nice extra if you can get them, but the party can operate just fine without them. I generally use them to fill some space if I have some open slots where I need to replace wizards. So, here the number of what a party generally has [not to say that it can’t be changed or altered in some situations]:
4 Wizards
2 Tanks (Warriors)
1 Cleric
1 Bard

How It All Works: This part is pretty simple. All the Ints are in back, staying in one place, one tank stays near them, taking the agro off of anything it shouldn’t be on, and the other tank is running around pulling mobs back to the party. Just a note, this is not a “How to Party in Euro” Guide, I’m just saying this so that everyone knows, generally, what they’re doing. [Now that I think of it, I could do one of those… but not now… maybe later.]

**3.2 Where You are in a Party: Physically and Effectively**
Physically: You should ALWAYS be with the other wizards and bard. Generally, you will also be with the cleric, depending on the party’s play style… the reason why that is, is for another time… Anyway, in front of the cleric should be one tank. As long as you stay there, you should be alright, granted you do nothing stupid.

Effectively: To nuke the shit out of everything that comes near. This doesn’t mean that you can do it without discretion, however. Some things to be aware of, for example, are AoEing an un-lured mob, or attacking a mob that clearly doesn’t have aggro yet. To avoid the latter, you should wait to attack until the tank has stopped moving and the mobs are attacking him. That’s about all I can think of right now, if I can think of anything else, I’ll post it.

4. Subclasses

Alrighty, I honestly don't feel like essentially writing a whole other guide in order to explain this, so I'll just talk about each of the options and what I think about them.

**4.1 Cleric**
Cleric was my choice as a subclass, and heres why in a few short points:
-What's the thing that wizards lack the most? HP. What's it that clerics provide? HP. See the connection?
-What's one of the scarcest full classes in parties? Clerics. Clerics = party slots, yay.
-The skills that a cleric has can't be duplicated by potions, the skills that a bard has, like speed, can.

Oh yeah, one more thing, if you go cleric, get ready to cough up the SP and go all-in, because a half- cleric (without the buffs and heals) might as well be no cleric at all.

**4.2 Bard**
-It's got speed and noise... and it can give MP...
-Yes, being a bard is about that exciting...

5. Jobbing/ PvP

**5.1 1v1 Fighting With Other Classes**

Warriors – At higher levels, against a similarly-leveled warrior that actually has decent skill, you will never, ever win. I suppose you could get lucky once or twice... so don't come back yelling, see I killed one!

Rogues –You'll one shot them, or them, you... whoever comes out of invis first

Wizards, Warlocks, Clerics –Whoever hits first wins. That’s about it, be the first to hit them, you win.

Most Chinese - With their retarded Snow Shield, you prolly wont kill one in an even 1v1 match...unless you use bless, invis, etc before hand.

Just a side note - Don't let these results discourage yu from being a wizard. By nature, wizards just aren't much good at 1v1 PvP, that's just the way it is. Don't worry, in group PvP when you're buffed, you'll be an essential part of the team. I don't recall any other classes racking up 200+ kills in the Fortress War.

**5.2 Jobbing Tips and Tricks**
Tips: Wizards own NPC Thieves/Hunters. If someone else can lead, you just stay back and kill all the spawns. That’s about it…

Tricks: Alright, now here’s the fun part. One of my favorite things to do is suit up, go outside the gate, throw a Fire Trap up, turn on Life Control and go invisible. After that, you just wait. The range of the Fire Trap is so large, that it takes up almost the entire gate; there is no escape. Just wait for someone of the opposing job to come out, then BAM! Dead. That’s pretty much the only reason to get Fire Trap, just set it up somewhere, go invisible, and wait.

Alright, so that’s about it on jobbing for now… I may add more later.

6. Legal-ish Stuff

Any site wishing to use this guide is free to do so as long as proper credit is given to the author (Dark520).

Copyright Dark520, 2008

Last edited by Dark520 on Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:40 am, edited 27 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:52 am 
Addicted Member

Nice.

Looks like you will cover every aspect of being a wizard :)

So far it's clear, nice to read and promising.

Try to throw in some screenshots / pictures tomorrow, it'll brighten your guide up even more ^^ since this is going to be a long guide it's always nice to look at a picture while you catch your breath again xD

Good luck on completing it, ill check back for updates :)

One thing: at some point you mentioned being a 90% hybrid gives you 400 more HP, but you didnt mention your characters level :wink: not that it matters too much, but it makes it easier to project it on our own char, and see the difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:02 am 
Advanced Member

good guide but personally, if you find a good party a few extra hp (or more) wouldn't be needed since the tanker "will" taunt the mobs (if he/she is pro) and any mobs near you or other non tankers so being a hybrid is useless or else just be a chinese if you want to solo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:06 am 
Valued Member

Cool cool, my friends that are going to be on Mars will probably need this if they still plan on going Wiz.

Guild: http://www.silkroadforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=58156
Guild Master of: Advent
European Character: Raiden
Lvl: XX
Build: ULT Warrior [Two-Hander]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:25 am 
Common Member

InsertName wrote:
good guide but personally, if you find a good party a few extra hp (or more) wouldn't be needed since the tanker "will" taunt the mobs (if he/she is pro) and any mobs near you or other non tankers

True, however, sometimes the tankers can't get all the mobs; it's just not possible. At times like that, the HP comes in handy. Also, if the damage difference isn't noticeable at all, then why wouldn't you want the extra HP in case of situations like the one above^?

Blackdragon6 wrote:
Your life more or less consists of pretending you have one to make yourself feel better about sucking at everything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:21 am 
Casual Member

First off, Nice guide. Its very easy to read and it looks nice.

I have to say though, I disagree with you with some skills.

Ground Charge from the earth tree is very useful. I take a cleric subclass so I am able to use bless while I am solo-ing and I can take hits from mobs. When bless is on and a mob is right in front of me, I cycle between Fire Bolt and Ground Charge since Ground Charge does more damage than ice. Also sometimes you will use your Earth Shock on 4 mobs and it only kills 2/4. That means you have 2 more running at you, if you hit Ground Charge on one of them it will kill them both (providing they are running at the same speed).

Root is also useful in party play. Several times I see my cleric getting aggroed by a party mob, and they have to run. Tanks are busy in the middle of several mobs so I will cast root on the mob chasing the Cleric. If it resists it does not aggro to me, if it succeeds the Cleric can run out of aggro range no problem.

Have you ever PvP'd someone with Mana Shield? Mana Drain is definitely needed to kill someone that has Mana Shield on. If someone has mana shield on I can't kill them. If I get Mana Drain to succeed I can 2 shot them.

Fire Blow is very useful as well, as it does the most DPS out of all your attacks. Also you are NOT stuck if your mob dies before you hit your full 7 shots. You can pick up items, or cast nukes on other mobs.

Fear is pretty necessary. Decent Cast time, lasts for 10 seconds and has a quick cool down.

Also, BTW you put Skip under Fire Trap, but you said your opinion was that you should get it. IMO, Fire Trap does not seem very good for grinding. The cool down is just too long. However it is perfect defense against Rogues. If you see a Rogue go stealth and you think you're the target you can cast Fire Trap and wait for them to walk right into you. Ka-Boom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:45 am 
Casual Member

why do you need to max up Charged Wind/Squall? if you're just going for the knockback shouldn't just 1 level of Charged Wind be enough? saving all that SP and also Mana costs for higher levels

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:00 am 
omgawsh. an organised guide! :D

keep it up. itll go in the chars n skills sticky.

be sure to complete it ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:36 pm 

nice guide :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:32 pm 
Common Member

antiy4ho0 wrote:
First off, Nice guide. Its very easy to read and it looks nice.

I have to say though, I disagree with you with some skills.

Ground Charge from the earth tree is very useful. I take a cleric subclass so I am able to use bless while I am solo-ing and I can take hits from mobs. When bless is on and a mob is right in front of me, I cycle between Fire Bolt and Ground Charge since Ground Charge does more damage than ice. Also sometimes you will use your Earth Shock on 4 mobs and it only kills 2/4. That means you have 2 more running at you, if you hit Ground Charge on one of them it will kill them both (providing they are running at the same speed).

Root is also useful in party play. Several times I see my cleric getting aggroed by a party mob, and they have to run. Tanks are busy in the middle of several mobs so I will cast root on the mob chasing the Cleric. If it resists it does not aggro to me, if it succeeds the Cleric can run out of aggro range no problem.

Have you ever PvP'd someone with Mana Shield? Mana Drain is definitely needed to kill someone that has Mana Shield on. If someone has mana shield on I can't kill them. If I get Mana Drain to succeed I can 2 shot them.

Fire Blow is very useful as well, as it does the most DPS out of all your attacks. Also you are NOT stuck if your mob dies before you hit your full 7 shots. You can pick up items, or cast nukes on other mobs.

Fear is pretty necessary. Decent Cast time, lasts for 10 seconds and has a quick cool down.

Also, BTW you put Skip under Fire Trap, but you said your opinion was that you should get it. IMO, Fire Trap does not seem very good for grinding. The cool down is just too long. However it is perfect defense against Rogues. If you see a Rogue go stealth and you think you're the target you can cast Fire Trap and wait for them to walk right into you. Ka-Boom.

Ground Charge: I disagree with you there, I have seen that the snow AoE and the other earth AoE are much more helpful. I do however see your point and will change it to optional.

Bind: Generally, one mob does not cause enough worry to my cleric that I would have to bind it.

Mana Drain: No I haven't personally, but if you were to put mana drain on them, if you didnt want to die first, youd have to throw another effect on them so they couldnt attack you, which takes more time. I'd rather wait the 2 mins and come back.

Fire Blow: Well, first, yes, you are stuck if theres nothing else to attack, or pick up. Also, in the same amount of time, you can string other nukes together and change targets and do about the same damage. Overall, just not worth it.

Fire Trap: Sorry, I didn't catch that, I'll fix it.

Oh yes, ty for all the compliments^.

Blackdragon6 wrote:
Your life more or less consists of pretending you have one to make yourself feel better about sucking at everything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:29 pm 
Casual Member

can someone answer my question about the charged wind leveling more than 1st level?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:46 pm 
Common Member

You level it to get the level 80 skill.

Blackdragon6 wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:32 pm 
Casual Member

how much better is the lv 80 lightning knockback skill compared to the lv 20 version?

the whole purpose is just for knockback right? so why not just keep it at level 1 for the first skill. unless you just wanted two knockback skills rather than one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:51 pm 
Common Member

I supposed that would be true, but I'd also like to do at least some damage while I'm attacking them, heck, maybe it'll even finish a few things off. Also, maybe the kbs arent as large if the skill is really far below the enemies level, like and other status effect. I dunno, you may choose not to level it, but I do, even if it's for nothing other than the sake of leveling it.

Blackdragon6 wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:54 pm 

gongjaied wrote:
how much better is the lv 80 lightning knockback skill compared to the lv 20 version?

the whole purpose is just for knockback right? so why not just keep it at level 1 for the first skill. unless you just wanted two knockback skills rather than one.

Same reasoning I had for Ice Bolt. Why level it up when you get Snow later. So I left Ice Bolt at 1, if it were worth the SP I could even delevel and remove it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:04 am 
Casual Member

Ice bolt is slightly different in the sense you need a secondary single target nuke apart from the fire bolt. Further the usefulness of the 2nd version of Ice bolt is worth not-ignoring since it does 3 x ice bolts meaning more chance to freeze target and does decent damage.

Whereas the damage on Charged wind is just a joke. Though I do notice the knockback and shock effect don't seem to last long at level 1 compared to the knockbacks from other characters...Not sure...will need other people to advise on this one. But since I'm leveling lightning tree JUST for the AOE fear and teleport...if I got the extra SP I might as well level Charged Wind just for the sake of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:08 am 

gongjaied wrote:
Ice bolt is slightly different in the sense you need a secondary single target nuke apart from the fire bolt. Further the usefulness of the 2nd version of Ice bolt is worth not-ignoring since it does 3 x ice bolts meaning more chance to freeze target and does decent damage.

Then again any of the AoEs can be your "second nuke". I only use Firebolt as the single target nuke, I typically use Snow Wind first in case something spawns where I am aiming (pve) and if not I firebolt. If something else spawns and is hit by Snow Wind I follow up with the Earth Shock. If any target still needs a finish I use Fire Bolt. This is also why I don't bother with Fire Blow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:36 am 
Casual Member

That's pretty risky though...
I had experiences where I tried using an AOE and if it's only 1-2 mobs then that's fine...
But if you get 3 or more then you're GG'd. Depends however what level mob you fight I guess.

If I'm hunting stuff lower level then I wouldn't even bother killing stuff 1 by 1 anways...I'd rather find a group spawn and AOE everything

But since I'm in Hotan and the mobs are scattered and the only way to level up I suppose is hit stuff 1 by 1 then it'd be safe to use single nukes.

I'm just wondering how much damage does Charged Wind do compared to the other AOE skills...it's suppose to hit 6 times, so theoretically it should do decent enough damage?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:52 am 
Common Member

My charged...whatever :P.... does about 500 per hit, so if it hits 6 times, that's 3k damage; a reasonable finisher.

Blackdragon6 wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:43 am 
Casual Member

I know the Pros of Charged Wind is that there's a 90-100% chance to knockback since it's 6 times...however mine is still on level 1 and the mobs that I'm fighting (40+) seem to react straight after the knockback as if they weren't even stunned for a mini-sec - like you're supposed to after a knockback.

Is that because my Charged Wind is too low level or do you also experience this as well with a higher level Charged Wind?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:05 pm 
Common Member

Most likely, but I don't know for sure, TBH, I haven't had to knock anything back lately, since im in caves, there's nowhere to knock them back to.... I'll look into it though.

Blackdragon6 wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:24 pm 
Ex-Staff

very nice guide, however i also disagree on the ground charge. It's a very good skill (most in lower levels) if you have multiple mobs attacking you. Besides that it's stronger than any cold nuke :)

ps: you've got a fire skill image instead of lightning :wink:

Niyoke wrote:
err i know ium soudning weird but .. Mr Bow is my p.e teacher .. ARE YOU MR BOW? LMAO ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:22 am 
Common Member

MrBow wrote:
very nice guide, however i also disagree on the ground charge. It's a very good skill (most in lower levels) if you have multiple mobs attacking you. Besides that it's stronger than any cold nuke :)

ps: you've got a fire skill image instead of lightning :wink:

Ah, ty, I'll fix it.

Blackdragon6 wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:57 pm 

Quote:
My opinion: I personally have chosen to go at a 90% hybrid, and I'll explain why: First of all, you get more HP. I have about 400 more MP than a full int my level.

HP ^^

Post subject: Re: The [Eventually] Complete Wizards Guide v1.2 *Update 9-0
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:48 pm 
Common Member

Very nice guide. It's a breath of fresh air to see that kind of organization along with reasons and examples given for the skill choices. Just one thing, though...

Dark520 wrote:
Also, if you think that you hit for a lot less than someone who was pure, think again. I've tested it, and so far, I've hit just as much, if not more than a pure at the same level. Now, this may be because of weapon or equipment, so I'm further looking into it and I'll get back to you when I'm done testing.

Why bother testing, it's simple math, isn't it? The balance is a % of the total damage calculation. All other things being equal, higher % balance gives more final damage.

But, I understand about wanting more HP. I'm working on a wizard and at lvl 18 he's only got around 550 HP. :shock: Very squishy. I've already died numerous times.... mostly to not paying attention, though. I've got a Chinese character that started out pure INT and ended up going a little hybrid towards STR. But at least there the STR also figures into damage with weapons used.

I'm keeping the Wiz pure INT. It's not easy, but I'm doing it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:28 am 
Common Member

thanks the skills section was very usefull

Playing Guild Wars BRB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:51 pm 
Valued Member

still awaits for the sub section :roll:

[Mars]
[Sky]-[Wizard]
"You're a pervert."
"No I'm not! I just happen to find them(porn) interesting!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:58 pm 
Common Member

what site did you get the picture of the 8D gear i have looked but have not found it

Playing Guild Wars BRB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:16 pm 
Common Member

There is only 2 things I missed from the guide:

Cast time
Recharge time

Another useful bit is info on invisible: canceled from any spell? canceled from movement? What skills can detect invisible?

You might want to include a sub class discussion... although I think the consensus is Bard. There may be other useful skills (i.e. cleric, especially since you could then wear lt. armor instead of robes)

Guild: DaRk_DrEaMs

Free Game Music

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:16 pm 

Quote:
3. Partying
**3.1 Party Make-Up and Operation** ......

4 Wizards
2 Tanks (Warriors)
1 Cleric
1 Bard

for me the best party is:
3 Wizards -> Nice damage.
2 Tanks -> Skills with "Taunt" (only european warriors got it).
1 Cleric -> Heal, Ress & Buffs.
2 Bard -> Buffs: Speed, Mana and Dancing concert skills (can be used only with 2 bards in party), the dances in level 1 gives 14% increase mag damage and 10% increase phy damage.

In some cases invite one rogue to lure some mobs around and mages can use AoE skills.