Silkroad Online Forums

A community forum for the free online game Silkroad Online. Discuss Silkroad Online, read up on guides, and build your character and skills.

Faq Search Members Chat  Register Profile Login

All times are UTC

Post subject: [GUIDE]: Alfred's healer guide
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:27 am 
Loyal Member

<edit>

If you want to make a healer build, I want to want you to know that JM have not thought through the force mastery enough. I am 64 atm, enjoying the advantages you get from being a healer in group fights, but some of the skills you want to use are bugged and therefor useless. The things a noted down below are what this mastery is lacking.

1. No imbue
2. Vital spot attack is useless, can be canceled by a simple right click
3. No defensive buffs O_o
4. They "fixed" natural theraphy, so it is not as useful as before
5. The heal skill lacks efficiency
6. The passive extra MP could be changed to something usefull
7. Reviving people is really good, but why not let the healer also benefit from it?

</edit>

ok, back to topic:

Why choose to become a healer? Well, you will play an important role in your guild especially when reaching higher levels. Not everyone chooses to level up the force mastery high enough, because they want to leave room for other skills that fits them better. Having someone focusing on the force tree in the guild then, leaves everyone more freely to choose what they want and not having the pressure of getting the force mastery just to be able to ressurect (bring someone back to life).

Your play style will certainly be more different than the others. Instead of attacking your enemy, you will more likely do your best to support your friends. But if the situation needs it, you will not be a total weak damage dealer and can jump into the heat of the battle knowing you can deal as much as heal. 8)

When building a healer, you have many ways to choose between. My intentions with this certain build is mainly speed, high HP and good defense. There are three masterys to focus on: the one for your weapon, lightning and force. Any left mastery point is up to you where to put it. But because of having already three mastery trees, you should avoid the others unless you feel you got an abundance of skill points (SP). :wink:

You should put your stat points mainly into STR. This will give you alot of HP at the cost of having lower MP. The reason for choosing STR instead of INT as a healer, is imo simply that you must stay alive as long as possible. If the healer goes down to easy, he/she aren't much of a help to the others. Going pure STR may not be necessary, but there are no reasons to not do it. Lots of HP will just do you good, while the MP will be more than enough for the healing skills.

Gear to use
I will start with the weapon. The ones you have to choose between are either glavie, blade or bow. All are STR based weapons (the bow works either direction) and what to choose here is all up to you. I am myself using a blade and the reason for that is the extra defense the shield gives. A block from the shield in a sticky situation, can be the difference of life and death.

As a blader you will not deal the highest damage, but this is not the main task of this build. You will not be useless in PvP though, because like any other blader build you will be able to recieve alot of damage and many times kill your opponent. Just like any other weapon of use, it has its advantages and disadvantages. So please don't make this guide into some weapon discussion thread. The main reason I choose blade is explained above.

I will not digg deeper into any weapon mastery, but instead advice you to read other guides for that. If you go as a blader like me, I can recommend reading about the weapon skills in cuchulainn's blade guide.

Because of this build being based on speed, garment is the protection to use. It provides 20% speed increase and also better protection against magical damage (which is mostly higher than physical) and a -20% MP consumption. You will need it all to stay alive as long as possible and don't run out of MP potions too fast.

Force skills

Force
This is your main mastery tree, because it contains all your healing skills. You want to keep this as high as possible and a good thing about it, is that you can also help those who are higher level than you. So you don't need to be at the top of your guild.

Self heal series
This skill is used to heal your own HP. But the heal series do the job much better and can be used on both others and yourself. So no need to waste any SP on this.

Force cure series
Works just like an universal pill and heals any curable abnormal status. It is slow compared to the pills but usefull if any of your friends runs out of them. If you feel you got the SP, you can upgrade it just in case.

Heal series
Heals alot more HP than self heal series and as told above, you can use it on both yourself and others. Good for a quick HP raise and to give a friend the upper hand in a PvP fight.

Rebirth art series
Undoubtedly the most important skill as a healer. Its use is to revive other players and while doing jobs, it will give you a great advantage when facing an enemy. You can heal players up to ten levels above you, assuming you have the the Force mastery at the same level as yourself.

Natural therapy series
A really helpfull skill, both for jobs and when killing mobs. It brings out a large ring, when inside you are safe from mobs up to a certain level. It also provides a faster HP and MP regrowing rate while resting. You are not safe though from champion-, elite-, giant- or unique mobs who can attack you inside of it. If a trade animal goes down, put this up around the trade goods. To be able to bring out a new one, you must stay away from being atacked within 20 seconds. Having this as a protection makes it all much easier.

Vital spot attack series
You get two skills out of this, vital spot-muscle and vital spot-spirit. The first one is used to decrease someone's parry ratio and the second one to decrease someone's attack rating. It lasts for ten seconds when inflicted and has a good regrow rate so you can hit many targets fast. The vital spot-muscle can be really usefull on STR builds because of their large amount of HP. When the parry ratio is lowered, the target will recive more damage. And for nukers or other hard hitting builds, a decreased attack rating will make their attacks weaker. You can inflict your target with both of them at the same time and the status can not be cured with uni pills. These skills can be used at any time without getting offender status. Its even possible to use them in a city's safe zone.

Force increasing series
This skill is a passive one and adds up on your MP. Very usefull because you will have a low amount of MP due to your STR build.

Lightning
This mastery is what gives the build a good survival rate. You need to be able to avoid being targeted by several enemys and the best skill for that is imo speed. The lightning tree also provides increased parry ratio so you recieve lower damage.

Thunder force series
This will be your weapon imbue. Just like fire and ice, it adds up some extra power to your weapon. It has a transfer rate of 3m and give away extra damage to two nearby targets, so be prepared to agro mobs around you when fighting. Not much of a problem though, as you have plenty of HP to your advantage compared to an INT build. It will also inflict your target with electricity, which lower the parry ratio. For mobs this is usefull, while player enemys can easily cure the effect with uni pills.

Piercing force series
It increases the magical damage (INT build) you deal with a certain percantage. Not much of use, because you deal mostly physical damage (STR build).

Wind walk series
This provides two skills. Grass walk, which will increase your moving speed and ghost walk-phantom, which teleports you a few meters away at the direction of your mouse pointer. These two skills are the main reason of choosing lightning and not ice or fire. You will be hard to team up on and maybe even imposssible to catch, if your enemy has lower level of grasswalk.

Lion shout series
No use to you because it is a magical damage attack. The weapon masterys have got better ranged skills for your build.

Concentration series
This skill temporarily increas your parry ratio and will lower the damage you take. A good defensive skill that you need.

Thunderbolt force series
Same as Lion shout series, a ranged magical attack that is not very useful to your build.

Heaven's force series
This skill is a passive one and also adds up on your parry ratio like concentration series. So you should get this one too.

Hope this guide will inspire you to choose the force mastery as one of your main skills. Going lightning as a blader may sound weird because it is not very common. But it is the speed you are after in this build, and not the highest dealing damage like fire or the longest survival rate like ice. You will in some situations stay away from fighting and only act as support. No need to be a super tank (someone who can withstand a lot of damage) like ice bladers or higher damage dealer like fire bladers.

Having three main mastery trees may sound alot. But I haven't notice any hard time getting enough SP for them. I even leveled up all the force skills and my weapon skill up to 32 before I decided to go with lightning and force together with bicheon.

This is not said to be the best healer build. Everthing is based on my own thoughts of which skills that may help you out the most. The more different builds there are, the more usefull they all get. So get inspired, have some thinking done and then choose the way you feel is the best to go.

If anything is unclear, please post your thoughts and I will try to explain it better or more thoroughly. :)

I will keep updating this as I level up my build and add or change things that comes to my mind.

*edit - 05/06/2006*
Changed title

*edit - 08/06/2006*
Changed my opinion on Force cure series and edited some words missing on Thunderbolt force series

*edit - 09/06/2006*
Info about Vital spot attack series updated. Creds to Lemon for the info!

6x

Last edited by Alfred on Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:17 am 
Common Member

A great guide! :D Actually, I am also making a character that is also healer, but can also excell in battles. This is why I chose Fire & Force as my primary and lightning as secondary. :D I'm thinking of mastering lightning only to 30 (to save heuskal, fire, force masteries all to 90 - to save more room if the masteries are now allowed to reach 90). :D

Character: Col_Mustang
level: 1x Sword
build: Int-Hyb/Cold/Lightning

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:28 pm 
Valued Member

would it be profitable to make this build except with a 1:2 str:int ratio, so while staying back and healing, you can also help attack with shocklion shout and thunderbolt nuke?

Olympus: LVL 6X Pure Str Bow/Fire/Cold/Light
Job: LVL 3 Trader LVL 3 Hunter LVL 1 Thief
(Retired)
Aege: LVL 5X Pure Int Sword/Fire/Cold/Light
Job: LVL 3 Trader LVL 2 Hunter LVL 2 Thief
(Retired)
Venice: LVL 4X Pure Int Spear/Fire/Cold/Light
Job: LVL 2 Trader LVL 1 Hunter (almost lvl 2)
(Active)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:56 pm 
Hi, I'm New Here

Hello all. I just realy started playing silk about 2 1/2 weeks ago and have a lvl 22 archer atm. However..my love of playing healers on another game has me seriously starting a new character with this build just to try it out.

This is an excellent little guide. Thank you for posting it!

Clan: Goof Troop

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:22 am 
Frequent Member

great guide , nice to see someone that shares my idears about staying alive as a healer and going str instead of int
:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:18 pm 
Loyal Member

djkelvz wrote:
A great guide! :D Actually, I am also making a character that is also healer, but can also excell in battles. This is why I chose Fire & Force as my primary and lightning as secondary. :D I'm thinking of mastering lightning only to 30 (to save heuskal, fire, force masteries all to 90 - to save more room if the masteries are now allowed to reach 90). :D
Thank you! Sounds like the opposite of this build, focusing more on strength than defense. It's all about what you like the most :P . I have also thought about the mastery limits and that's why I only chose 3 mastery trees to go with at the moment. Putting 30 points into lightning should help you alot to get up your speed without keeping you away to max out the others if it goes up to 90. Good luck with your build!

Antione wrote:
would it be profitable to make this build except with a 1:2 str:int ratio, so while staying back and healing, you can also help attack with shocklion shout and thunderbolt nuke?
Can't see why it wouldn't. You will lack alot of the HP, but if you can play it right and avoid taking too much damage, it would be a far better damage dealer than my approach. Remember though that you are the one supposed to stay alive and help the others, thats why I chose the full str way. But it's your character so choose the way you want to play

pixiecatt wrote:
Hello all. I just realy started playing silk about 2 1/2 weeks ago and have a lvl 22 archer atm. However..my love of playing healers on another game has me seriously starting a new character with this build just to try it out.

This is an excellent little guide. Thank you for posting it!
Hi and thanks alot! This was exactly what I wanted with this guide, to get some attention on healer builds and show that they are also usefull in SRO 8) . So far I love this build (I am at lvl 46 atm, though my skills are a bit behind) and I promise you it's not slow to level up. Just ask any of my guildmates :D . If you want some tips on this I can PM them to you. Don't feel you have to follow this slavic, have a look at the other force skill trees (ice and fire) and see if they suit your way of playing better. Remember that the build will bloom the higher you get, as any other build. Now get out there and enjoy playing this great game!

kitary wrote:
great guide , nice to see someone that shares my idears about staying alive as a healer and going str instead of int
:)
Thank you! Yeah, your healing skills are not much of use when you are lying dead on the ground. Better leave the high damage dealing to the nuker canons. They will depend on the healer as much as the other way around.

6x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:50 pm 

The only drawback to this build is you'll need xp share parties constantly to leech off of. With no weapon skills by lvl 30 or so, you'll be spending about a forever on each mob with only your imbue to attack. If the purpose of this build is to stay alive and tank, heaven's force + concentration isn't going to do much. It only lowers your damage taken to a max of your attacker's max damage. Much more effective would be:

Sword Mastery:

Mountain Shield: 37% block rate increase. Since you're more interested in staying alive than doing damage, a 37% BR is a direct 37% reduction in damage. Add it to the passive and you're talking about 62% of all attacks on you missing doing 0 dmg. With the HP of a pure STR user, you'll be able to tank just about anything, while casting heals and force nukes all over the place.

Hidden Blade/Flower Bloom: Mostly used for PvE, but also to get to a safe distance if you're caught without your shield on. Can also help in group PVP--you knockdown and downhit for almost as much as a normal blader. Time it well and your guild can mass stab an opponent. +1 for the good guys.

Shield Protection: More block, more living.

Speed is nice, but even wearing garment and maxing wind walk, you'll only be 20% faster than a nuker. And unlike the nuker, you're not a threat by yourself. You have the HP to tank, why run around trying to avoid dmg?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:57 pm 

Its actually quite similar to my main char Axia. She's a str hybrid Lit/Force

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:01 pm 
Hi, I'm New Here

Devotia wrote:
The only drawback to this build is you'll need xp share parties constantly to leech off of. With no weapon skills by lvl 30 or so, you'll be spending about a forever on each mob with only your imbue to attack.

Thats not a big deal. I've done it before in other games. And mind you its not considered leaching if you are keeping your other party members healed. Having some fighting skills is nice tho, especially when you can't get into a party and have to level yoruself. 8)

Clan: Goof Troop

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:33 am 
Common Member

pixiecatt wrote:
Having some fighting skills is nice tho, especially when you can't get into a party and have to level yoruself. 8)

heheh! this is the reason why I preferred to be a battle healer :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:25 am 
Frequent Member

Yes, one can receive vital spot-muscle and vital spot-spirit debuffs at the simultaneously. You can pull it off one after another in rounds to keep your teammates's opponent weak. Also, one can use vital spot-spirit in safe zone 8)
Being the main healer/resser in my guild has benefitted my guild countless times. The healer route will need high HP and/or extremely good defense with speed from the whole grasswalk series

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:55 am 
Loyal Member

Devotia wrote:
The only drawback to this build is you'll need xp share parties constantly to leech off of. With no weapon skills by lvl 30 or so, you'll be spending about a forever on each mob with only your imbue to attack. If the purpose of this build is to stay alive and tank, heaven's force + concentration isn't going to do much. It only lowers your damage taken to a max of your attacker's max damage. Much more effective would be:

Sword Mastery:

Mountain Shield: 37% block rate increase. Since you're more interested in staying alive than doing damage, a 37% BR is a direct 37% reduction in damage. Add it to the passive and you're talking about 62% of all attacks on you missing doing 0 dmg. With the HP of a pure STR user, you'll be able to tank just about anything, while casting heals and force nukes all over the place.

Hidden Blade/Flower Bloom: Mostly used for PvE, but also to get to a safe distance if you're caught without your shield on. Can also help in group PVP--you knockdown and downhit for almost as much as a normal blader. Time it well and your guild can mass stab an opponent. +1 for the good guys.

Shield Protection: More block, more living.

Speed is nice, but even wearing garment and maxing wind walk, you'll only be 20% faster than a nuker. And unlike the nuker, you're not a threat by yourself. You have the HP to tank, why run around trying to avoid dmg?
Think you missed a part...
Alfred wrote:
There are three masterys to focus on: the one for your weapon, lightning and force. Any left mastery point is up to you where to put it. But because of having already three mastery trees, you should avoid the others unless you feel you got an abundance of skill points (SP).
You will go into 3 masterys and one of them is your weapon. I will add a bicheon section later, to explain the benefits of the the the things you just brought up. And why you should run around avoid taking damage? Well anyone can understand that its all about the situation. If its needed I can participate in the fight as much as anyone else and kill off enemys. This isn't a week harmless build, but I need to stay alive in some situations. Throwing myself at the enemy all the time would just be foolish then.

Lemon wrote:
Yes, one can receive vital spot-muscle and vital spot-spirit debuffs at the simultaneously. You can pull it off one after another in rounds to keep your teammates's opponent weak. Also, one can use vital spot-spirit in safe zone 8)
Being the main healer/resser in my guild has benefitted my guild countless times. The healer route will need high HP and/or extremely good defense with speed from the whole grasswalk series
Sweet, tnx for the info! I will update it in the guide right away.

6x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:09 pm 
Frequent Member

Devotia wrote:

actually i believe that you can't do anything while the buff is in progress, which is why most people don't use it. useful for being a tank but not healing. and force nukes with a str user? o.O

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:47 am 

You can't move around, attack, or use other skills while having the shield skills activated. (That's why it's not that great for healers.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:53 am 
Common Member

is the vital spot series still recommended for str builds?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:07 am 

Alfred wrote:
Vital spot attack series
You get two skills out of this, vital spot-muscle and vital spot-spirit. The first one is used to decrease someone's parry ratio and the second one to decrease someone's attack rating. It lasts for ten seconds when inflicted and has a good regrow rate so you can hit many targets fast. The vital spot-muscle can be really usefull on STR builds because of their large amount of HP. When the parry ratio is lowered, the target will recive more damage. And for nukers or other hard hitting builds, a decreased attack rating will make their attacks weaker. You can inflict your target with both of them at the same time and the status can not be cured with uni pills. These skills can be used at any time without getting offender status. Its even possible to use them in a city's safe zone.

Yes. ^.^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:22 am 
Veteran Member

Vital spot muscle is useless against players. It's counted as a buff, which is why you can use it on players without going Offender, and such. It's also in the buff line for... buffs! You know what this means? Right-click the icon if you get it casted on you. GG Vital spot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:32 am 
Common Member

ShizKnight wrote:
Vital spot muscle is useless against players. It's counted as a buff, which is why you can use it on players without going Offender, and such. It's also in the buff line for... buffs! You know what this means? Right-click the icon if you get it casted on you. GG Vital spot.

OMG!!! :shock: Is that really true? If it really is, the series is totally useless!!!! :( :( :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:37 am 

Nah. They have to notice it to disable it, and that takes away from their concentrating on what they are doing. I'll test this later to see whether disabling the buff icon also disables the effect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:56 am 
Common Member

Bakemaster wrote:
Nah. They have to notice it to disable it, and that takes away from their concentrating on what they are doing. I'll test this later to see whether disabling the buff icon also disables the effect.

thanks a lot! :) this will be a great help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:59 am 
Loyal Member

It doesn't make any sense if you easily could click it away. Oh well, atleast it would be like bakermaker said. And with the new update you can see when a buff is working, so just throw another one if they cancel the first. That will keep 'em busy. :D

6x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:45 pm 

RaiKiRii wrote:
Devotia wrote:

actually i believe that you can't do anything while the buff is in progress, which is why most people don't use it. useful for being a tank but not healing. and force nukes with a str user? o.O

Well there goes that idea ;p

And by force nukes I meant the vital spot series. Force..nuke. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:52 pm 
Hi, I'm New Here

Yeah int is good for supporting ppl. Nice guide too ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:28 pm 

No, int is not good for supporting people. You die too fast. How can you support when you're dead?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:55 pm 
Hi, I'm New Here

You have a point *lol*.. ya ic..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:58 pm 
Common Member

Antione wrote:

I am not Alfred but I have played healer in other MMOs before and I have deducted that the healer needs to have the most HP, defense and ONLY focus on healing.

This is why I dont find healers useful except for the rez skill in SRO due to the effect of potions.

However this is what I think would be the ultimate healer.

Main Masteries: Sword, ice, force, sub-lightning.

Because the use of a shield will help a healer stay alive and ice will help them freeze oponents before teleporting to a safe spot.

Back in Venus and Babel!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:00 pm 
Loyal Member

waldo wrote:
Antione wrote:

I am not Alfred but I have played healer in other MMOs before and I have deducted that the healer needs to have the most HP, defense and ONLY focus on healing.

This is why I dont find healers useful except for the rez skill in SRO due to the effect of potions.

However this is what I think would be the ultimate healer.

Main Masteries: Sword, ice, force, sub-lightning.

Because the use of a shield will help a healer stay alive and ice will help them freeze oponents before teleporting to a safe spot.
Bakemaster have made me think a little about the ice too and it sure would be usefull to have some freezing skills. Will do a little update on the guide later on. Think I will stick to blade, force, lightning, sub-ice myself, but sub-lightning sounds like a good way to go too.

I have never played any mmo's before so my thoughts on a healer build is only based from this game. What I've heard and read, and like you said, the healer lacks of some usefull skills. Think a different approach is necessary in SRO. Because you still need your weapon skills, otherwise you will fall behind stuck on trying to level. So in a way this makes you both working as a healer and a fighter. Not the strongest in the group, but strong enough to help out if its needed.

This is something I wish was possible:

1 When in a party, clicking on a party member on the left side would automaticly select that person.

2 Healing skills should be able to be used on multiple targets, when in a party.

3 Parry and attack rating increase skills. As an opposite to the vital spot series. Also here being able to cast it on all party members simultaneously.

Just a few things that would make the healer stand out a little more.

6x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:32 am 
Casual Member

awesome guide lots of ppl seem to think going healer in this game is a waiste of time. but its always good to have a resser by ur side when ur jobbing ^^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:32 am 
Hi, I'm New Here

Alfred wrote:

This is something I wish was possible:

1 When in a party, clicking on a party member on the left side would automaticly select that person.

Actually u can do that :D

I wish for 2 and 3 too, i am a lvl 30 hybird heavy int, Bow, Cold, Force and thunder, i wish i read this before i chose bow :D
i can switch to sowrd but thinking of all the Gold i will spend on cursed heart T.T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:05 am 
Advanced Member

really interesting to see how everyone has a different way to build healer.
i myself preferr int bow cold as healer since int bow is faster to lvl. healer will be behind everyone anyways..... so also having bow and a wall to use the healer is much more effective and faster to lvl of course your version a str then u dont need b in the back

btw i personally think the vital spot series are useless BUT worth getting since u can use without going purple good for killing people who are struggling with npc thieves WHOOPS TOO MUCH INFO