Silkroad Online Forums

A community forum for the free online game Silkroad Online. Discuss Silkroad Online, read up on guides, and build your character and skills.

Faq Search Members Chat  Register Profile Login

All times are UTC

Post subject: [Guide] Picking the right build for you
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:53 am 

If you're new to the game or if you want to start over again, then this is a good place to start :)

Howdy, and welcome to a guide, which should help you ALOT in enjoying the game.

Keep in mind, this only covers CHINESE characters, I am not yet qualified for making a guide about european characters, and we're all still learning about them. Even those that have played other sro versions do not know all there is to know about Euro characters.

Remember, this is a guide on chosing what weapon and build is best for you, it does not tell you how to play that particular type of character (though I do mention the skill that makes blades so good at jobbing).

First thing you should learn about, are the 3 different builds:

Pure int:
Base: pve (Pvp now?)
Style: High hitter, bad tanker
Essential skill tree: Lightning

If you LOVE seeing the numbers hit high, and like to fly through the levels. If you don't mind dying (which will happen alot) and not being the absolute best in pvp. If you love the hunter and trader jobs, then this is for you.
Keep in mind that you are going to die ALOT in pvp, so you must be sure you don't mind dying. It's not like you're going to die every 5 seconds however, you will be able to destroy people below your level with great ease, but if you fight someone at your level, you will almost surely die.

With the recent update, pure ints now use the skill tree "Snow Shield", which may help them out incredibly in pvp.
I'm not yet sure, but pure int may now be one of the best in pvp, as long as they can kill their opponent fast.

Weapon choices:

Sword:
Base: pve + alittle pvp (extreme pvp?)
Style: high hitter, bad tanker
essential skill tree (besides Lightning): Bicheon

Guides:
Guide to Pure Int Builds by IguanaRampage
Pure Int Sword/Shield by zephyr
Pure Int Guide by xCrazyAzn301

This is the basic weapon choice for an int build. This is because ints can hardly tank normally, so the shield allows for tanking ability. Sword ints are nice, they die alot in pvp, but can still hold their own if they are skilled/lucky/rich, or a combination of the 3.
Swords in garments are able to kill other pure ints with INSANE ease, my friend ChipNDale is pure int garments, and I just CAN'T kill her, even though she has a 9 gap. Strs however can kill her in 1 or 2 hits if she doesn't get a block or a knockdown.
You prefer the hunter and trader jobs, though you are also an effective thief if you don't run into a high level str hunter.

Spear:
Base: pve (Pvp too?)
Style: Excells in high hits, terrible tanker
essential skill tree (besides Lightning): Heuksal

Guides:
Guide to Pure Int Builds by IguanaRampage
Pure Int Guide by xCrazyAzn301

You LOVE hitting high numbers, you don't give a rats ass about dying. You will be the highest hitting player in the game as a pure int spear, you can hit so high, you can kill giants your level in a matter of seconds.
If you wear garments, you may be able to take other pure ints, but you are not so much of a 1v1 pvper, you are more about the group fights. You are the one packing the guns, you team mates will die defending you because you are able to hit so high, they don't even want to wait for you to respawn :P.

Pure str:
Base: pvp
Style: Low hitter + Criticals, Excellent tanker
Essential skill tree: Weapon (Bicheon/Heuksal/Pacheon)

If you don't like to die, and are more pvp based, then this is probably for you. You will be considered more hardcore than an int player, for you won't level as fast, however, you will also excell in pvp.
Pure str is for people who like to kill other people in pvp, and when they come back for revenge, you can just kill them again because with your godly hp, you are very unlikely to die.
Remember though, you do level slower, so if a pure int and pure str start on the same day, a month later, if they fought the pure int would wipe the floor with the str, simply because of the great level difference. However, the int would eventually hit the level cap, and the str would still grow stronger each day, eventually catching up to the int, and then the str would be able to gloat for he is now much more powerful.

Weapon choices:

Bow:
Base: pve (Extreme pvp?)
Style: med hitter * (yes *) Criticals, med tanker
essential skill tree (besides Pacheon): Fire

Guides:
General Archer Guide by Tour Guide
Str/Fire Bow Guide by hellsharpt

You like to play just for fun. You enjoy pve and like the look of the bow skills. You love hearing the crit noise, and even ksing other players :wink: . You prefer the hunter and trader jobs, and don't mind dying in pvp (though it won't be THAT often, it WILL happen).
Bows are excellent for killing ints by the way, you are like the anti-intelligence :P. If you wear armor, you can be quite effective in pvp, and with the 90 cap, bows are arguably the best pvp build.

With the arrival of the new skills, bow is now extraordinarily good in pvp. I have seen it myself, they may be the best out there. They can stun, and shoot an incredibly strong attack in only 2 seconds, with a chance of stunning and increased chance of critical. When they're running low on hp they can always phantom away and knockback their opponent.
This may be a great pvp build.

Glaive:
Base: pve + pvp
Style: high hitter + Criticals, good tanker
essential skill tree (besides Heuksal): Fire

Guides:
Glaive Guide by Im_On_56k
Glaive Guide by MegaMan

You play alittle more hardcore. You prefer pvp over pve, but can't stand long leveling times. You want to hit the cap fast, and own quickly. You don't mind boring skills (glaive has REALLY boring skills, they get old fast). You love being able to hit the highest crits in the game (Which are higher than pure int nukes).
You don't like to die, but you can stand dying every once in a while, as long as you can come back for revenge :twisted: . You have no job preference, glaive works effectively in all of them, although is probably least effective as a hunter.

Blade:
Base: pvp
Style: low hitter + Criticals, Excells in tanking
essential skill tree (besides Bicheon): Fire

Guides:
The Complete Blader Guide. by FenaCorp
Blade Guide by cuchulainn

You are considered the most hardcore player. You LOVE pvp to the point that you don't care about your insanely low leveling speed. You can hit greatly with a crit, but it's still not the highest. You love the look of blade skills (honestly, who doesn't?), and love fighting stylishly. You like to look your best (Blade, shield, and garments is definately the coolest look in the game). You can't stand dying.
Blade can work any job with the highest effectiveness.

Hybrids:
Base: Unknown
Style: Unknown
essential skill tree: Unknown

Guides:
Int Hybrid Guide by SuicideGrl
Int Hybrid Sword Guide by Kitary
Int Hybrid KD Nuker by mKaaru
Int Hybrid Spear by MasterWong
Int Hybrid Stats/Types by partyhat

I would advise you to stay away from the hybrids. Right now they seem to do pretty good, but in later caps, I'm sure they are doomed. I quit my hybrid character because in the 90 cap, with the mana shield, I will be doomed because str is always really good in pvp, and pure int will now be able to tank better than me.
If you a pro with the game or just want to experiment, then you can be a hybrid, but my advise to you is this:
Make sure that you play your hybrid smartly, base your character off of your physical and magical balances.

For example: The 70:70 build seems very smart to me, you hit "equal" with both physical and magical attacks, yet you don't, because your magical damage is higher, and yet you don't use nukes. And what's up with this whole "use a bow" thing? It makes no sense to me. I always figured int based bows were terrible, yet some people say this is a good build.

Anyways, for all you guys reading this section, if you are new, stick with a pure build. Hybrids are for pros, and for people who have no idea what they're doing.
If you decide to go hybrid, good luck, I really REALLY think pure is better. Right now hybrids aren't that bad, but as the cap raises, they're just gonna get more and more screwed.

Anyways, thanks for reading the guide, I hope you enjoyed it :)

Note: My coverage of the update so far is rather minimal, I will update it as soon as the public and myself get a better view on this new update.

Good luck :)

Last edited by Rainigul on Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:23 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:22 am 
Banned User

this is a very good guide. I vote sticky!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:30 am 
Hi, I'm New Here

very nice... a sticky defnitely

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:48 am 
Valued Member

I vote sticky too, good for the newbies around us...

Oh yeah, newbies, don't go asking for guides in this topic, cause there are a lot of guides on this forum for every build possible... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:03 am 

Lol, it'd be cool to get a sticky ^ ^

Although I'm sure alot of people are daunted by its length.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:13 am 

Quote:
(though I do mention the skill that makes blades so good at jobbing).
eh something i mentioned before about likeing some builds better
new point of view for me as already said...hope it help beginers thou i dont think many of them visit this forum :wink:

dom wrote:
At 12 I was scared to touch myself because Jesus was watching.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:54 pm 
Ex-Staff

Great guide, Raini.

The length isn't a problem, trust me. Click on the link at the bottom of my Sig, to see my Blader Guide - it's about 3 times as long as yours, and people still took the time to read through it - and I got cool responses as well. :)

I certainly think that this deserves a Sticky as well.

One thing I would do, however, is try to organize it a little bit more. Make some things bold, some things larger. That way, it's more aesthetically-pleasing, and it emphasizes certain things.

Great guide, overall, Raini. :) I like it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:17 pm 

FenaCorp wrote:
Great guide, Raini.

The length isn't a problem, trust me. Click on the link at the bottom of my Sig, to see my Blader Guide - it's about 3 times as long as yours, and people still took the time to read through it - and I got cool responses as well. :)

I certainly think that this deserves a Sticky as well.

One thing I would do, however, is try to organize it a little bit more. Make some things bold, some things larger. That way, it's more aesthetically-pleasing, and it emphasizes certain things.

Great guide, overall, Raini. :) I like it.

Lol, yeah, your guide is huge!

I now added color, size and stuff. Thanks for the advise :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:23 pm 
Ex-Staff

Yeah, my guide is huge. :P I'll probably be making a Glavier Guide soon, as well.

I like the new format - looks alot better, and is easier to read. That's what separates regular Guides, and good Guides. :)

One more suggestion - as you're describing the different weapons and builds, I suggest adding a link at the bottom of each one, to a specific Guide for each, from this thread: http://www.silkroadforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=19902

EX:

Rainigul wrote:
Spear:
Base: pve

You LOVE hitting high numbers, you don't give a rats ass about dying. You will be the highest hitting player in the game as a pure int spear, you can hit so high, you can kill giants your level in a matter of seconds.
If you wear garments, you may be able to take other pure ints, but you are not so much of a 1v1 pvper, you are more about the group fights. You are the one packing the guns, you team mates will die defending you because you are able to hit so high, they don't even want to wait for you to respawn .
Here's a link to a Guide for further reading: (Link here)

Something like that. Just my opinion. :P Will certainly stop a few of the noob questions that might be brought up here.

Again, great guy, Raini, and this definently deserves a Sticky for those new players.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:32 pm 

FenaCorp wrote:
Yeah, my guide is huge. :P I'll probably be making a Glavier Guide soon, as well.

I like the new format - looks alot better, and is easier to read. That's what separates regular Guides, and good Guides. :)

One more suggestion - as you're describing the different weapons and builds, I suggest adding a link at the bottom of each one, to a specific Guide for each, from this thread: http://www.silkroadforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=19902

EX:

Rainigul wrote:
Spear:
Base: pve

If you wear garments, you may be able to take other pure ints, but you are not so much of a 1v1 pvper, you are more about the group fights. You are the one packing the guns, you team mates will die defending you because you are able to hit so high, they don't even want to wait for you to respawn .
Here's a link to a Guide for further reading: (Link here)

Something like that. Just my opinion. :P Will certainly stop a few of the noob questions that might be brought up here.

Again, great guy, Raini, and this definently deserves a Sticky for those new players.

Thanks for the link man, I was thinking about posting guides at the end of each build.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:42 pm 
Forum Legend

very nice guide definately! But, i dont really agree with beeing pure...We'll, were surrounded by so many doubts right nwo because of the new skills etc...we shall see when we get em :D.
STICKEEEHHHHH :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:51 pm 
Advanced Member

u could just make a quiz to determine your best suited build like "if u picked "c" the most, you will be a ______"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:54 pm 
Ex-Staff

InsertName wrote:
u could just make a quiz to determine your best suited build like "if u picked "c" the most, you will be a ______"

Oooh... that's a good idea, actually. :P
I think someone should make one of those - doesn't have to be hosted on a site. Could be simplistic.

EX.
You answer A, you get 4 points. You answer B, you get 3 points. You answer C, you get 2 points, and you answer A, and you get 1 point.

1 - 5 points = Pure STR is your build.
5 - 10 points = Hybrid is your build.

etc. etc. etc...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:57 pm 

FenaCorp wrote:
InsertName wrote:

Oooh... that's a good idea, actually. :P
I think someone should make one of those - doesn't have to be hosted on a site. Could be simplistic.

EX.
You answer A, you get 4 points. You answer B, you get 3 points. You answer C, you get 2 points, and you answer A, and you get 1 point.

1 - 5 points = Pure STR is your build.
5 - 10 points = Hybrid is your build.

etc. etc. etc...

Yeah, that would be a good idea! I might get started on that soon.

Btw, this is kinda in the wrong section of the site, it should be in guides and tutorials... A move would be appreciated :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:37 pm 

where the hybrids >.<

WNx Clan-Warriornation.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:40 pm 

Hawkster wrote:
where the hybrids >.<

The very bottom.

You can't really explain hybrids, because there are so many of them. Besides that, I really discourage any hybrid making unless you're a pro, or just want to experiment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:47 pm 

very nice guide... almost quit on the comment on pure int :D but hey it's all opion and experience. Other than that.. reall nice.. gonna post a link to this at my guild forum.. great starting point for new players and players starting over.. just like you said.

+1 on the hybrid comment though :D...they are gonna have a hell of a job in front of them at the 90 cap. Better grind your a.ss off now for some money on some insane gear.

ow and I was jus needing a good blade guide for my sec char. so thnx for that too ^^

<<This forum went all down the drain. It's such a waste. I'm no longer proud to be a member here so bye>>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:57 pm 

@Hershey

I made a new character, but it's pure int sword.
Sorry man, but sword is just more my style.
At least it's pure int!

@flexo

Yeah, I was a bit worried some people might get offended on my comments on their build. But hey! I myself was a hybrid! And I put them down the most, lol.
Thanks for posting a link man, Both for me gaining publicity (kekeke) and because I really think this guide can help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:05 pm 

Hershey wrote:
hehe yea im making a pure int sword too on troy....made it yesturday. i got it to lvl 16 and its ready to farm ^^

now i just need to get a nice bow to make it easier

Cool :D

Post subject: Re: [Guide] Picking the right build for you
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:10 pm 

Rainigul wrote:

Hybrids:
Base: pve +pvp
Style: High Hitter Moderate Tanker
essential skill tree: Lighting

main note with hybrids is that you never want to drop below 80%mag naked if you do youve lost too much nuke damage

Considering naked mag%
80% -- 90% Spear
90% -- Pure Sword/Shield (possile dual)

80% Being 57 points in str
90% being 22 points in str

Prot Set Although at Garms are used often and are useful against bows.
High leveling speed due to nukes but played correctly extremely strong in pvp due to high damage and higher hp then Pure. looking at the 90 cap some hybrids wil stil be there but due to teh fact it will be hard to kill someone 1on1 and the new mana shield it may be worth going pure for the high max mana so you dont run out at bad times.

Thats my opinion on hybrids anyways. ^_-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:19 pm 

Rainigul wrote:
@Hershey
@flexo

Yeah, I was a bit worried some people might get offended on my comments on their build. But hey! I myself was a hybrid! And I put them down the most, lol.
Thanks for posting a link man, Both for me gaining publicity (kekeke) and because I really think this guide can help.

lol yeah i was.. i read the pure int comment and I was like.. d.amn another one saying pure int s.ucks at pvp..and i almost left.. but then i decided to read on.. and it was worth it :)

I've explained what is in this guide many times to guild member that want to start a new char because they build some kind of 1:1 hybrid with like 6 out of 7 masteries upped(just had someone like this ones thought.. beofre everyone thinks that FA is all noobs xD) and I gently bring to them. that their build totally s.ucks and that if they want to seriously play sro that they better start over :D

so now I can just say.. look on the forum in the guide section for Rainigul's guide on "how to pick a build that's right for you" saves me some typing so thnx man.. lol
and np for the publicity for you .. you are acctually helping me more then i'm helping you ;)

ow and maybe you should bring some nuances in your comment on the build... i've seen no flames yet.. but I can imagine that hybrids and pure ints are at least a little anoyed by your comment. :D

now when i bring down a build.. i always say.. most of them.. ofcourse there are exceptions.. and everybody thinks i'm talkin about them ROFL so i don't get flamed for my comment :)

<<This forum went all down the drain. It's such a waste. I'm no longer proud to be a member here so bye>>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:33 pm 

Guide look's much better then last time i looked :) and fena was defenetly right link's are big + for this guide...i realy would like some better link for glavie thou :( they are fine but after reading fena's blader guide those glavie ones seem...light waaaay to light. Also if u have ANY link for lvl90 cap and new skill's plz leave it in next post i read some posts about new skill's for bucheon bow and ice(mana shield) but i would like to read more as i havent yet decided which weapon to take after farm and this new skill's will greatly afect my desidion

P.S. i love your sig its darn cute :D :D

dom wrote:
At 12 I was scared to touch myself because Jesus was watching.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:26 am 
nice guide [readies linking hand]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:26 am 
Ex-Staff

shadowman20875 wrote:

ROFL, another link for Shadow to make noobs feel stupid. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:28 am 
FenaCorp wrote:
shadowman20875 wrote:

yeah, i think im a little hard.... rarely

anyways, im making a image that says something like SRO.... WE HAVE GUIDES and for every link im using that image :D saves me the work of coming up w/ a comical yet sinister comment

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:31 am 
Ex-Staff

shadowman20875 wrote:
FenaCorp wrote:
shadowman20875 wrote:

yeah, i think im a little hard.... rarely

anyways, im making a image that says something like SRO.... WE HAVE GUIDES and for every link im using that image :D saves me the work of coming up w/ a comical yet sinister comment

I think I probably would still like your little Caps Lock picture better. The first time I saw that, I seriously laughed for like, ten minutes. Did you take the picture yourself?

But yeah, I can see how it gets annoying, the same questions being asked over, and over, and over again... like, seriously, read a damn guide, right? :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:26 am 

flexo wrote:
Rainigul wrote:
@Hershey
@flexo

lol yeah i was.. i read the pure int comment and I was like.. d.amn another one saying pure int s.ucks at pvp..and i almost left.. but then i decided to read on.. and it was worth it :)

I've explained what is in this guide many times to guild member that want to start a new char because they build some kind of 1:1 hybrid with like 6 out of 7 masteries upped(just had someone like this ones thought.. beofre everyone thinks that FA is all noobs xD) and I gently bring to them. that their build totally s.ucks and that if they want to seriously play sro that they better start over :D

so now I can just say.. look on the forum in the guide section for Rainigul's guide on "how to pick a build that's right for you" saves me some typing so thnx man.. lol
and np for the publicity for you .. you are acctually helping me more then i'm helping you ;)

ow and maybe you should bring some nuances in your comment on the build... i've seen no flames yet.. but I can imagine that hybrids and pure ints are at least a little anoyed by your comment. :D

now when i bring down a build.. i always say.. most of them.. ofcourse there are exceptions.. and everybody thinks i'm talkin about them ROFL so i don't get flamed for my comment :)

Yeah. I dunno, I never said pure int or hybrids were bad in pvp, I just said they're more pve based.
My new Pacific char is pure int, so it's not like I hate them or anything, lol.

Also, @ That other guy, I'm sorry, but though your hybrid views are certainely legitimate, there is no bulletproof way to build a hybrid, so I left it sort of blank.

Mugen† wrote:
Guide look's much better then last time i looked :) and fena was defenetly right link's are big + for this guide...i realy would like some better link for glavie thou :( they are fine but after reading fena's blader guide those glavie ones seem...light waaaay to light. Also if u have ANY link for lvl90 cap and new skill's plz leave it in next post i read some posts about new skill's for bucheon bow and ice(mana shield) but i would like to read more as i havent yet decided which weapon to take after farm and this new skill's will greatly afect my desidion

P.S. i love your sig its darn cute :D :D

I'm glad you like the new look.
Sorry I can't give very good links for glaive, those are the 2 best that I've found. If you can find a better one, please provide the link and I'll put it up.

I WISH I had some links for the 90 cap, but they're very hard to find. The only advise I have is for str to not level ice, and for int to not level fire. This is why hybrids aren't gonna do too well, what will they not level?

I'm glad you like my sig, I do too ^ ^

Last edited by Rainigul on Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:55 am 
Ex-Staff

Pointing out a lil error: stay away from hybrids??? WTF?
Yeah, the best hybrids are INT hybrids (83-87% mage balance spears pwn)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:52 am 

Rainigul wrote:
Yeah. I dunno, I never said pure int or hybrids were bad in pvp, I just said they're more pve based.
My new Pacific char is pure int, so it's not like I hate them or anything, lol.

lol gonna remember that one.. your build doesn't s.uck it's just more pve based xD you are right though.. pure int is more pve based. and i guess hybrids too.
and yeah I figured out later that you build a pure int.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:29 pm 

Stress wrote:
Pointing out a lil error: stay away from hybrids??? WTF?
Yeah, the best hybrids are INT hybrids (83-87% mage balance spears pwn)

Correction: Sword hybrids are actually the best.
I'm sticking with the pure path though, because though sword hybrids are gonna be the best all the way up 'till the 100 cap. They'll be bad after that.